Thread: French combs?

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

Default French combs?

Hey guys, the other day, my grandma gave me this hair toy:

I believe it is called a "french comb" (hooray for google!)

any advice on how to use/different things I can do with it with this length of hair:

Would I have to wait a bit longer before using it, and also is this even good for my hair or will it rip snag and kill the living heck out of it?

Thanks for the advice and help

PS, I would mind a hair typing if you guys can I'm still kinda confused/undecided of my hair type
    Last edited by thankyousir74; July 24th, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: PS
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: French combs?

nope you can use it now. It produces a similar effect to a barrett
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-IdUDnzOU
    I sometimes use just one on the top of my head to create a half pony tail effect

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

thanks, but I'm mildly disappointed, I got a bit of an "aw that's all it does?!" reaction in my head hehe

especially after seeing what LHC members can do with only a stick
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

When you can make a French twist it will decorate that very prettily (pushed into the side), and when you can do a bun held with pins, it will look very nice pushed into the top of the bun in the way that flamenco dancers wear their hair.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

You could use it in a french twist, but I think you'll have to wait until your hair is a bit longer. It's a very pretty comb!
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Looks like a beautiful side comb, good for decorating any updos. A French twist comb is usually much bigger, with fewer tines. Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/STUNNING-TEAL-LI...QQcmdZViewItem

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I agree with Sapphire-O, that comb looks like a side comb, while a french twist comb has longer prongs with a bit more space between them.

You can wear this side comb now! There is a hair twist you can do with the front half of your hair called a Quiff, which I used to make with my bangs while they were growing out to keep them out of my face. You hold this twist with a side comb like yours. You can really make your hair puffy around your face with this method.

You grab the bangs or as much as all the hair in front of the top of your head down to your ears. Then twist this section of hair a couple of times. Don't twist too tight. You can then hold it down with your comb, or you could coil it around into a tiny bun before securing it to your head.

When you insert the comb, push it into where you twisted the hair, upside down with the prongs facing the back of your head, (always try to catch some scalp hair in both directions for the best hold) then you flip it over and push it in with the prongs facing your face. You can practice with it to find the best way for you. There was a thread several months ago about how to make a side comb stay put, I seem to remember someone suggested using hair spray where you insert the comb into the twisted hair, and also someone may have suggested using a ponytail elastic to hold the hair before inserting the comb. I never did either of these things, but using a ponytail elastic to hold the hair that will be in the comb, helps to hold the comb and keep it from falling out.
    Last edited by frizzinator; July 24th, 2008 at 08:28 PM.

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

You can do much more with a comb than just that, but the vid shows basic. Hair combs are incredibly useful, particularly with wavy or curly hair they hold like glue and can be used on hair which is too short for pins or sticks. They can also give volume to updos, plus they are really pretty.
    You could try a french twist, but you'd probably need a couple more combs about half the width (if you can't find them - I often can't - just snap a cheap plastic one in two and sand down the break) for the top and bottom.

Type
    1c/M/ii

You can put your hair in an inverted Topsy Tail and stick the comb in the top as an anchor. If you can do an inverted bun this comb will do a great job of holding it in place for you.

Actually, any style in which you'd reach for a barrette will probably work for you with the comb, as well. The important thing is to use your imagination and get in lots of practice - this is a great opportunity to begin building the long hair skills you'll be putting to such good use when you reach your goal length!

What a nice grandma you have - enjoy and cherish your lovely new comb!
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

After reading Peggy E.'s post, I looked at your photo again, and it's difficult to tell from this photo, but I am wondering if the decorative top of the comb is on the same plane as the prongs, or is the decorative top facing straight up 90 degrees from the prongs? If it's the latter, then I would not try to use it the way I suggested which is similar to the way it's used in the video. It would work better the way Peggy E. suggested.