Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Coconut Oil :(

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Default R.I.P Coconut Oil :(

I really really wanted coconut oil to work for me. I used it religiously every week for almost three months. Now i am aware that coconut oil causes my hair to feel and look like straw because of all the protein. So my question to all of you is, can i still use coconut oil just less frequently? What are your favorite oils for moisture that do not contain protein. I was in love with the fact that using coconut oil was all natural. I thought it was a fix all. Now that's all over and im extremely lost
    Lady Daoine, Mythweaver of the Unseelie Court in the Order of the Long Haired Kights!

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Default Re: R.I.P Coconut Oil :(

Baby oil is a natural product (yes, petrolatum is natural), and was wonderful when I first started using it. I've had to move to coconut oil though, as I think my hair was missing the protein it's feeling far stronger now compared to the cotton wool softness I had with baby oil

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

my hair didnt like coconut so much either in the beginning, but now its the prefect match,my hair loves it,so dont throw it away,maybe after a while with good care your hair changes and might gonna like it..My all time favourite oils are Amla and Argan,they always work for my hair and scalp/skin
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Love your siggy pic, btw, looks like a husky i used to have... oh and i have never tried staight coconut oil, but i HAVE tried organix cocout shampoo, my hair seems to like it but i read one review about someone's hair falling out on one of the websites...i'm a bit scared to continue using it now...
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hmmm. Are you using virgin unrefined oil?
    I'm sorry coconut isn't working. Maybe EVOO would work?
    This really ezplains why my hair loves coconut oil though! Anything with protein my poor bleached hair gobbles up.
    APL~BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Coconut oil contains NO protein. None. It prevents protein loss from the hair shaft. It does not add additional protein to your hair.

That said, it could cause problems if you are sensitive to proteins simply by allowing them to build up. Clarify and cut back on the coconut oil.

ETA: You also may want to take a closer look at your 'poo, conditioners and other hair treatments to see if they contain the protein the coconut oil is retaining.

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

I would only use deep coconut oil treatment and let it sit for 6 hours or so but only once a year or even less. It gave me huge build up. It's what I consider one of those yearly deep conditioners.

My daily moisturising oils are Jojoba oil, Avocado oil, Moroccan Argan Oil for my ends. And in my roots I use Castor Oil to (well at least try) and promote hairgrowth.
    As the saying goes, it pays to be patient!

I left by request
    Length
    Left/Left/Left
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I too use to use coconut oil alot. My hair slowly became dry and felt like straw. I also felt at a lost. I thought coconut oil was the holy grail of all hair products lol. However there are many other alternatives

My hair likes a tiny drop of extra virgin olive oil. It worked for me 100x better than coconut oil and cheaper too it helps retain moisture in my hair.

Jojoba oil is a very nice oil, avocado oil and sweet almond oil too. All very good alternatives to coconut oil.

I'm currently experimenting with Baby oil for moisture and so far it's working better than all the other oils above.

Some threads on different oils
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=59689
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...highlight=oils
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...highlight=oils
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=86298

HTH

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

oh im sorry. Someone on here told me coconut oil does contain protein. If it does not how often do you think would be safe to use it? I keep hearing so many things from different people so i have no idea. I appreciate all the replies tho
    Lady Daoine, Mythweaver of the Unseelie Court in the Order of the Long Haired Kights!

Length
    ///Tlb/knees
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I didn't think coconut oil had protein in it. It does stop the loss of protein in your hair though which is why your hair could be feeling like straw.

Try olive oil, I have coarse hair and my hair loves that stuff