Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else struggle with wanting to be normal again?

Length
    12/42/term

Default Does anyone else struggle with wanting to be normal again?

My hair is currently at my knees. Not ALL my hair of course.. but the fairytale ends are past my knees. I've been struggling a lot lately at the lack of styles I can put my hair in and the amount of difficulty I have detangling after washing, etc.

I use a braid or usually I put in a coil and pile it on the back of my head. I have to coil my hair in 3 loops and then wind the leftover length around the loops to keep it looking neat. I use to clips to hold it in place. So my hair is coiled from my nape to my crown and the whole back of my head is in the 2 large clips.

Lately I've been wanting to cut back to waist or even BSL so I can put in more hairstyles, braids, or just let it flow loose. A twelve inch trim would be my hemline blunt-ish again. I guess I'm doing the 2week thing here. I really want to see what my terminal length might be.. but I'm really having a hard time wrestling with the inconvenience right now.

Frustrating.
    Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly on a broomstic We are flexible like that.
    ~~Rumors are started by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots~~

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does anyone else struggle with wanting to be normal again?

Sometimes I wanna cut it short short just bcuz otd be fun to have diff styles I could color it straighten it curl it tease it etc n Id just cut the damage in a month or 2 lol but I love my long hair more than all that
    Long-haired, cat mom, and proud of it!
    =^..^=
    _( m )~~ <3

Type
    1b/F/ii

Maybe not BSL, but Classic?

Goal length: Waist
    24' ~ 25' ~ 26' ~ 27' ~ 28' ~ 29'

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I find at knee I can do *many* more styles rather than fewer. Perhaps changing up your daily style is in order? I'd asked elsewhere for suggestions for new ones and was flooded with answers. Completely broke me out of my normal rut!

Most of the styles I do are more stick and fork based, but I know Torrin's YouTube channel has loads of updos held with clips.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Sectioning your hair can help add new styles to your repetoire as well. I guess it all depends on how much time you want to spend on hairstyling..and how cooperative your hair is.

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm having a similar struggle, berr, although, my hair has never been longer than hip and that was only about ten hairs out of the hundreds of thousands of the hairs on my head. I tried the no-trims-in-2011 challenge, but failed around September. I discovered that my goal of terminal was already being met by a rather large portion of my hairs, but I have a handful of hairs that are really enthusiastic to jackrabbit way past the rest of the turtle-speed hairs. I just don't have the patience to live with such straggly-looking ends.

So, I made myself much happier by accepting the reality about my hair and trimmed it to a little shy of waist length. I'm much happier, because I can now wear it down through the colder months and enjoy the warmth of my "hair shawl."

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I guess it depends on what you value more: curiosity of finding your terminal, or having fun with your hair. When you picture yourself reaching terminal, do you see yourself staying there for quite some time, or is it along the lines of, "well that's interesting, now back to waist/hip/classic/whatever?"

Definitely do the two week rule, if not the one month rule. That's a lot of growth to chop away and I'd hate for you to be depressed and long for knee again.

I think there's a member here with long blond hair, Arc-something, and she does some beautiful styles. Maybe that's worth some browsing?

Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I think Waist or BSL is too much
    Why not try classic? or TBL?
    You can wear it loose then even, and it's still super long, but way easier, I believe
    You can always cut more....and yeah, you can always grow back, but from longer length

Good you are following 2 week rule
    LadyArasinya, Protector of the Forest Heart Stag in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    20"/40.5"/47"
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I absolutely know what you mean! I wore my hair down in public a few times when I was at hip length a year or so ago... However, now that I'm 2" short of classic, and have bicolored hair since I'm growing out henna, and people just don't "get" fairytale ends, and my 2c hair can't decide what to do with itself in the arid desert air...

I just feel odd wearing my hair down these days. It gets tangled so easily (and we have a lot of wind), and I feel conspicuous, sort of the way I did when I was in college and dyed my waist-length hair blue. I've had too many helpful types (with their heads of desert-dried, bleached, chin-length layers) tell me how to deal with my "damaged hair" and I'm living in the bling capital of the Western World (Las Vegas) where you're either wearing the latest trendy haircut or you're wearing a drag queen wig!

But... I really enjoy my hair. Even if I'm the only one who sees it and/or appreciates it. And I really am curious about terminal length (though I'll admit I'd like to cut out some of my taper). And every time that someone tells me I should think about cutting it shorter, I get annoyed and resolve to leave it alone for at least another month...

I think you're doing this right, with the 2-week rule; you'll figure out if you're ready for a big chop or not by then!
    Bun curls in Jan '12
    Jan 2012

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I struggle between wanting to see what my terminal length might be or getting a shorter style that I can do more with. I remember fondly the days I could break out the straightener or the curling iron, not concerned in the least whether or not I was damaging my precious hair. I feel so stuck sometimes!

Good luck finding the right answer for you and your hair.