Thread: Caring for hairsticks

Default Caring for hairsticks

I finally ordered some wooden hairsticks and would appreciate some help on how to care for them
    Wood should probably not get in touch with water but I'm still wondering, what if it rains outside or if my hair is damp? And how will oil/sebum affect them?

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Caring for hairsticks

Good start! Water = bad, oil = good/okay/not terrible depending on what kind and how much. I would never put a wooden stick in damp hair, but I'm sure running to your car in the rain would be fine.

Don't leave them in direct sunlight or on top of a radiator - anything that would significantly dry it out.

Every once in a while, if you feel like it's been under the weather, you can rub it down with a natural chapstick or balm to help protect it. I use Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm you get in the little tin
    Lady Eruaistaniel, Wanderer of Ricketts Glen, in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    ~ Mark Twain

Length
    SL/WL/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I oil my unfinished (haven't been cured with a rub, laquer or oil) sticks from Ukraine with a lavender massage oil I have (mix of jojoba, camellia and sweet almond oil) when they're looking dry.. The finished sticks I use burts bees lip balm as well, or a swipe of lemony flutter. Just be warned, oiling unfinished sticks usually darkens them significantly.

Length
    SL/WL/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Forgot to add, it's a light (fingertip) smear of oil, wait five minutes and wipe off. If you soak them in oil they're going to bleed oil and will warp. A well oiled stick, or a finished one shouldn't have an issue with ambient humidity but damp hair is a no