Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protect hair from extreme dehydration?

Default Protect hair from extreme dehydration?

Hi all girls and guys.
    I´m going to have an operation on friday this week and then I must wash my hair with a terrible soap called Descutan.
    That doesn´t do anything good to the hair. A pice of steelwool feels like softly compared to my hair after washing.

Is there any way I can protect my hair from the worst dehydration?
    Can I "boost it up" during this week?

Someone who can help me? Pleeeeeease!

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Protect hair from extreme dehydration?

I tried googling descutan and its pH and as far as I can tell, it is similar to hibiclens, which is more commonly used in the US, which has a pH of 5-6.5. I was originally going to suggest doing an acidic rinse, as most soaps are basic, but this one seems to already be pH balanced for the skin. Perhaps doing a deep conditioning treatment or SMT the day before you have to use it would help? I would not recommend putting anything else in your hair after washing, because it would not be as "clean." My suggestion for after washing would be to pin it up with a sanitized clip until you get home and can condition it properly.

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Skruttiz View Post
    Hi all girls and guys.
    I´m going to have an operation on friday this week and then I must wash my hair with a terrible soap called Descutan.
    That doesn´t do anything good to the hair. A pice of steelwool feels like softly compared to my hair after washing.

Is there any way I can protect my hair from the worst dehydration?
    Can I "boost it up" during this week?

Someone who can help me? Pleeeeeease!
    I don't know about your hair but may God watch over you during your operation. (if you're an atheist, the powers that be)

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Quote Originally Posted by Kelikea View Post
    I tried googling descutan and its pH and as far as I can tell, it is similar to hibiclens, which is more commonly used in the US, which has a pH of 5-6.5. I was originally going to suggest doing an acidic rinse, as most soaps are basic, but this one seems to already be pH balanced for the skin. Perhaps doing a deep conditioning treatment or SMT the day before you have to use it would help? I would not recommend putting anything else in your hair after washing, because it would not be as "clean." My suggestion for after washing would be to pin it up with a sanitized clip until you get home and can condition it properly.
    Thank you for your answer Kelikea!
    Deep conditioning treatment may do my hair good.
    I don´t understand what you mean by SMT. Can you please tell me what that is? My bad english is causing me problem sometimes.

I´m not allowed to use anything like pins during operation, but I will do a braid instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Long_hair_bear View Post
    I don't know about your hair but may God watch over you during your operation. (if you're an atheist, the powers that be)
    Thank you very much! You´re very kind!!!!

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

You could also try not to wash your hair until it is so greasy when you need to use that soap. The natural oils prevent it from dehydrating too much. Using extra virgin olive or mineral oil afterwards may help too!
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Ear-Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL->Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic

Best prayers for your operation !

Have you asked if you can condition your hair after using the shampoo ?

lets say using anything on you hair after shampoo is impossible, this is what I would do :

• I would do a micro-trimm of the ends, or dusting. Or a trimm if you need it. Just so the ends are blunt cut and stronger.
    • Then, I would do a very moisturising mask before the shampoo. On damp hair, I would apply a rich conditionner mixed with honey, aloe vera and some oil... let this sit under a plastic cap (or plastic wrap) covered scarf a few hours, so that your body heat lets it warm up very well.
    • Rinse hair out only a little with not too warm / cool water, apply more of a very rich conditionner, detangle hair very well - and very very delicatey - with a big comb while you have the conditionner slip in your hair, and rinse this out a little but not too well either.

Now, keep your head up and try not to cause any tangles :
    • Shampoo with the shampoo, do it well and completely, but do not leave it in too long either. Do not "mix" the hair, caress it top down delicately so as not to cause tangles !
    • Rinse very well to get it all out. But not too long either, as this could be even more drying... Do all this with not too warm water.
    • End with a cold water rinse.
    • get the excess water out delicately with a towel (still head up, do not cause tangles)
    • delicately braid your wet / damp hair. Secure it with a scrunchy or elastic that is safe for hair (no metal parts) and do not touch it anymore. The best would be a silk scrunchy, if you have one. If your hair is like straw, do not try to comb it yet. If it is ok, you can comb it** delicately when dry and braid it again.

• After the surgery is done (how long until you can wash your hair again ?), do another deep conditonner treatment like above, under a plastic cap. And co-wash it out (wash it out with only conditionner) without using shampoo right away, unless you find it necessary. If you feel that your hair really need a shampoo, then try a mild dilluted shampoo only, and work from there.

Best of luck !!

** always use a wide tooth wood or bone or seemless comb if possible
    Last edited by Maktub; January 29th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Of the Fae View Post
    You could also try not to wash your hair until it is so greasy when you need to use that soap. The natural oils prevent it from dehydrating too much. Using extra virgin olive or mineral oil afterwards may help too!
    I haven´t thought about that. That might be a good idea.
    Thank you for your answer, Of the Fae!

Quote Originally Posted by Maktub View Post
    Best prayers for your operation !

Have you asked if you can condition your hair after using the shampoo ?

lets say using anything on you hair after shampoo is impossible, this is what I would do :
    • I would do a micro-trimm of the ends, or dusting. Or a trimm if you need it. Just so the ends are blunt cut and stronger.
    • Then, I would do a very moisturising mask before the shampoo. On damp hair, I would apply a rich conditionner mixed with honey, aloe vera and some oil... let this sit under a plastic cap (or plastic wrap) covered scarf a few hours, so that your body heat lets it warm up very well.
    • Rinse hair out only a little with not too warm / cool water, apply more of a very rich conditionner, detangle hair very well - and very very delicatey - with a big comb while you have the conditionner slip in your hair, and rinse this out a little but not too well either.

Now, keep your head up and try not to cause any tangles :
    • Shampoo with the shampoo, do it well and completely, but do not leave it in too long either. Do not "mix" the hair, caress it top down delicately so as not to cause tangles !
    • Rinse very well to get it all out. But not too long either, as this could be even more drying... Do all this with not too warm water.
    • End with a cold water rinse.
    • get the excess water out delicately with a towel (still head up, do not cause tangles)
    • delicately braid your wet / damp hair. Secure it with a scrunchy or elastic that is safe for hair (no metal parts) and do not touch it anymore. The best would be a silk scrunchy, if you have one. If your hair is like straw, do not try to comb it yet. If it is ok, you can comb it** delicately when dry and braid it again.
    • After the surgery is done (how long until you can wash your hair again ?), do another deep conditonner treatment like above, under a plastic cap. And co-wash it out (wash it out with only conditionner) without using shampoo right away, unless you find it necessary. If you feel that your hair really need a shampoo, then try a mild dilluted shampoo only, and work from there.

Best of luck !!

** always use a wide tooth wood or bone or seemless comb if possible
    Thank you very much for your sentiment, Maktub!

Yes I´ve asked about conditioner and they said: Absolutely NO!
    Many swedish hospitals are very severe with the rules.

I will do a microtrimm as you suggested.
    I haven´t got any possibility to do a moisturing mask the same day as the operation but I can do it the day before instead.

I will follow your instructions about the washing but I´m not allowed to use any elastics, pins or such things and I have to cover the whole hair with a cap of fabric.

I think I can wash my hair again after about one week if I let my husband help me.

Thank you for your help Maktub!

I will take the chance to thank all of you very much for your reply!

I´ve done many surgerys the last years and that has caused so much damage to my hair and I feel kind of sad for that.
    This time I feel, with the help I got from you, it will end up much better.

I´m very happy I found this community where all the people are so nice!!!!