Thread: How much Coconut oil should you use on your hair before shampooing?

Length
    Chin/SL/Tlbne

Default How much Coconut oil should you use on your hair before shampooing?

I want to use coconut oil on my hair before washing it, but how much should I use?

Length
    BSL/73 cm/Tb
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: How much Coconut oil should you use on your hair before shampooing?

I always use coconut oil on my hair before washing.
    For my hair that is thin and long almost down my back I use a quantity enough to saturate all my lenght,I guess 1 or 1 and a half tbsp.
    My coconut oil is in a bottle so what I do I first put the bottle in a bowl with hot water to let it melt.Then I rub small amounts between the palms of my hands and gently apply from my nape to the ends.Sometimes I devide my hair into two or three sections and apply the oil.Then I gently comb the hair with my wide tooth wooden comb and finally pin it.Wait at least an hour before washing.
    Hope that helped

Type
    2a/F/ii

It depends on how much you want to use. I personally like to add enough to make my hair look oily. I have to sleep with a wool beanie over my head so I don't get any oil on my pillow. You could read some articles about it here:
    How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Moisturizing and Conditioning
    Coconut Oil for Hair: Your Chemical-Free Way to Truly Healthy Hair
    Jojobo & Other Hair Oils - HairTopia Beautiful Hair Oil
    heidi w.'s Oiling Tutorial
    The uses of coconut oil

I hope that helps!

Length
    Chin/SL/Tlbne

Thanks for your replies! Can I use just any coconut oil, or does it have to be a particular type, like extra virgin or something? I have a jar of pure coconut oil; would that be ok?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I use maybe 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon of oil on length from ears down after scalp area gets oily.
    Braid.

Wash anywhere from an hour later to the next day. I apply conditioner to the same areas as oil in the CWC washing method.

Length
    bsl/33"/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I oil my hair while it's braided (partly because I'm lazy, and partly to avoid too much handling as it's kinda fragile) and apply CO to the braid length until it's completely saturated. Works for me, but YMMV.

It depends on how much oil you'd like to be left after washing, too.

Length
    SL/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

VCO work's best, I have a jar of some cheap pure CO and it works alright. But not good enough that I will be buying it again.

Length
    BSL/73 cm/Tb
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SopphireGem View Post
    Thanks for your replies! Can I use just any coconut oil, or does it have to be a particular type, like extra virgin or something? I have a jar of pure coconut oil; would that be ok?
    That is the best oil..I even use it to moisturizes my skin,virgin coconut oil has also a wonderful smell...