Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long hair and androgyny

Length
    CHIN/SHLDR/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Long hair and androgyny

I'm trying to put together an androgynous look (kind of like Tilda Swinton or Annie Lennox) with a suit and tie but usually androgynous looking ladies have quite short hair so I'm wondering what to do with mine. Currently my best idea is just a low ponytail so it's away from my face.

Does anyone else ever wear an androgynous look (male or female) and if so, what do you do with your hair?
    Regrowing naturally!

Length
    Shldr/BSL+/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Default Re: Long hair and androgyny

I think a pulled back, low ponytail would work really well..

Something like this:

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I think a low pony or bun would work - anything that's tight and somewhat severe.

Lady Eruaistaniel, Wanderer of Ricketts Glen, in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    ~ Mark Twain

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

How about this:

Do a deep part in your hair and then make as if you're about to wrap it (look up hair wrapping here or on youtube for what I'm talking about--it's a way to straighten hair using your head as a giant roller), only taking the length and circling the hair at the back of your head behind the part. It's a good way to fake mannish hair, at least from the front.

Most men and androgynous women with short hair have some sort of volume in the front or on top, so I wouldn't avoid that completely. I think it will look more authentic to not try for the severely slicked back look.

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Make a samurai bun
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Starting over...
    Ear
    -Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic

Length
    5/20/40
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii/iii

You could pull it off if you make a bun, than you cover it with a manly hat. Than it really looks like you have short hair.
    Like a siren to the sailor moribund/ Her song of love will drag you ever down/ Her kiss will take you to a fabled sacred land/ Her lips will break you and lead you to the dance

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I'm thinking a low, side-parted bun.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd go with the first picture it reminds me of the 50's with the pony tail with hair wrapped around it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

If you ask google image search for "androgynous" you get a pretty wide range of images. Some of the pictures are really quite masculine, others are overtly feminine. It might be a good idea to look at some and think about which ones give you the most androgynous feel. Both of the pictures you showed us feel very feminine to me . With the Annie Lennox one, it's mostly due to her makeup. If it looks like you're wearing makeup, that tends to read as more feminine. For Tilda Swinton, it's her hair. While it is shortish, not many men wear their hair in that sort of cut. Guys who wear a similar cut would have something closer to a classic chin length bob, with very little layering.

Generally if a man with long hair wears a suit, his hair should be sleeked back. A braid, a low ponytail, a small nape bun... anything subtle and inconspicuous ought to work.

David Bowie would probably be a good guy to look at if you want pictures of makeup that reads as masculine. He tends to do a lot of his own makeup, and from stuff he's said in interviews, it's rare for him to appear in public without his "face" on. Sometimes, he is trying for an androgynous look, but other times he'll do himself up to look very masculine and virile. Looking for the differences in his makeup would probably be pretty useful.

Length
    BSL/58/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Take a look at Tilda Swinton's movie "I am love". For the first half, or so, she wears extremely chic up dos.