Thread: oh boy, big problem after yogurt mask

Default oh boy, big problem after yogurt mask

I just did a yogurt mask on my hair. I used full fat, plain yogurt with a dash of EVOO and left on for about an hour. I just washed out and I am letting it air dry, I forgot to condition after wash. My hair was soooo tangled after washing that I could not comb it, so I figured I would let it dry, then do so..... now, it is 90% dry and it is a fly-away, tangled mess! What could have gone wrong? My initial reason was to fade a bit of indigo (and it did so) but I also thought yogurt was supposed to be good for the hair?
    Last edited by wintersun99; March 14th, 2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling, grr

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Could it be the protein in the yogurt? Protein can dry your hair. The good news, it's fixable. What would work best for me would be to rinse well in the shower then add tons of conditioner, rinse, condition again, and rinse once more. Baby your hair for a few days and you should get back to normal. Good luck!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

That's very odd, unless like Walkinglady suggested your hair doesn't like protein?
    I always use the full fat natural yogurt and it does wonders for my hair. Maybe see how it is after your hair is completely dry? Sometimes with my hair as it's drying it looks like it will be a huge mistake but once it's totally dry and calmed down then i can see the benefits.
    Also you say washed out.....do you mean shampood? Because i always just rinse, if you 'poo'd it out and that was it then maybe that's the culprit?
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Maybe it's just from not using conditioner? I can't imagine how tangled my hair would be if I forgot to condition it. Walkinglady's suggestion sounds like what I'd try.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Thanks ladies. As you said, when it fully dried, it was just fine - I will NOT forget the conditioner in the future, at least while I have chemical damage on my length.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Yogurt for just 15 minutes made my hair really hard and gross. Protein filler repairs whatever damage my hair has, but if my hair is in good condition, it just does nothing and the ingredients are definitely plant-derived. So I'm inclined to think that animal proteins behave differently to plant proteins even on the hair.

I misunderstood a few things, I think. First, I never really realized that yogurt was a protein mask, (I knew that mayo was) go figure...I don't think my hair really has ever liked protein much. However, having said that - I do think I need to replenish the protein on my ends. I am curious about protein fillers, are they to be used on their own, to strengthen hair a bit, or are they to be used just before coloring (right now I only use henna) ...
    Last edited by wintersun99; March 24th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

You can use them anytime, even with your coloring agent.