Quote Originally Posted by patienceneeded View Post
    Thanks for the link Ktani!
    My pleasure

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Mineral Oil/Baby Oil? Help?

The only thing I know about mineral oil is that Rainbow Research recommends using it to help removed their brand of Henna products.. but I've never tried it.. I might after reading Ktani's links though
    Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by patienceneeded View Post
    Does it basically simulate the effects of a silicone-based serum? Back when I used cones, one of my favorite things was my Aveda silicone serum...
    In the research study and other sources, mineral oil which is natural (using drops only is more environmentally friendly in my opinion that using lots of other stuff processed with petrochemicals like just about all of the waxy ingredients in conditioner) is more effective at moisturising than silicone.

While not all silicones build-up, some emulsions can be difficult to remove from hair.

I am a fan of what works, not greenwashing hype or lies about ingredients started and kept going by greedy "all natural" companies as long as what works is SAFE and cosmetic mineral oil is safe.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I have been using baby oil for just less than a week and my hair has never looked or felt better since using it.

1. Are mineral oil and baby oil the same thing? As near as I can tell, the only difference is the baby-powdery smell...
    yes there the same
    2. Do you use plain-old mineral oil? Or do you use baby oil? I like the smell of baby oil and would use it if it was okay...
    i use Johnsons baby oil
    3. How do you apply it?I apply to wet hair just a drop, rubbed between my hands, enough to give my hands a sheen and then i apply from ears down, concentrating on my ends, you only need a bit one or two drops is plenty

4. What does it do, how is it better than other oils (Argan, Coconut, Sweet Almond, etc...)?
    its far more moisturising, it softens my hair better and its easier to wash out
    5. Would it work with my hair type? Would my hair be less tangle-prone?
    absolutely my hair is fine but thickish and normally tangles by just looking at it LOL! i get not one tangle using baby oil
    Anything else I should know?
    if you try this oil and forget all the hype but concentrate on the benefits it will give your hair, you will never look back

Baby oil is SO much cheaper than any other oil...if it works that would be great!another great plus and it smells lovely!

here are my results 1st photo before and dry
    after visually softer and more moisturised both taken in same spot and lighting conditions
    Last edited by jojo; January 18th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I've started trying baby oil on my dry ends my hair seems to like it. I put mine on my ends every three days and my hair is dry when I apply.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline101 View Post
    I've started trying baby oil on my dry ends my hair seems to like it. I put mine on my ends every three days and my hair is dry when I apply.
    I was thinking about just this on my way home tonight, lol.

If your hair's moisture level is fine, you can use the drops on dry hair to maintain it in conditions of low humidity, after every wash - no need to reapply them between washes.

If people live in conditions of high humidy, applying the drops to dry hair with a good moisture level Correction can not will - maintain that too, while helping to prevent moisture from the air causing frizz.

ETA: If the hair is dry as in lacking moisture in any environmental conditions, the drop(s) are best used on damp hair, to help rehydrate the hair.
    Last edited by ktani; January 18th, 2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ETA and corrected will to can

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Well, I am now sitting with freshly washed hair and a few drops of Johnson's Baby Oil worked through the length and ends. I showered early tonight so I could experiment with this and let my hair dry before braiding it for sleep. Normally I sleep with a wet braid on wash night...it will be nice to not do that tonight. I wanted to see what the mineral oil did/looked like on air-dried (non-braided) hair. Will report back later!
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Length
    shldr/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Very interesting, I need to keep an eye on this post, LOL
    Katani, LOL about thinking about the baby oil in your way back

I have very damaged hair from hair extensions, permanent hair straightening and chemically dyes, just started to take care of my hair recently, Dec.2011

Length
    SL/26.5"/30"
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

I use baby oil, because I bought some awhile back that was sitting in the cupboard unused, now I am using it on top of my coconut oil as a post wash leave-in. Coconut Oil has never given me "crunchy" ends, I just love it and refuse to give it up.

The Mineral Oil is working well so far, but I shall reserve my judgement until I have seen consistent results for a period of time. Incidentally, when I went to several pharmacies and asked for straight Mineral Oil they didn't seem to stock it at all . I don't love the Baby Oil smell, but it's a cheap Oil I had at home already. HTH

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Okay, 2 hours later and my hair is (mostly) dry. The baby oil did not make my hair greasy nor does it look oily. I can't really smell it now that it is dry, not that I would mind if I could smell it. My length and ends feel soft and are not tangling like normal. My hair curled a little more while wet, but now that it is dry it seems a little straighter. Best thing ever? NO FRIZZ! None at all. I think I like this! I'll experiment with ratio, I used 4 drops this time. I think I could use a little more, maybe 6? I have obnoxiously thick hair. I will DEFINATELY be using this method again!
    Last edited by patienceneeded; January 18th, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Left out info
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.