View Poll Results: What type of ends is best for updo's?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • FTE's

36 36.73%
  • Damaged/velcroe

1 1.02%
  • Blunt (U or straight)

38 38.78%
  • V cut

4 4.08%
  • Layers

7 7.14%
  • Other (please explain)

3 3.06%
  • String Cheese ends

9 9.18%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hair Ends for Updo's

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair Ends for Updo's

I voted for fairytale ends, though braided updos would be a potential exception to that.

Doesn't stop me from wanting blunt thick ends though, even if my hair won't cooperate with the thick part.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Ear/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I admire blunt, thick ends, and I would sacrifice neat updos to have my ends look nice.
    When my hair was longer, I never really wore it in updos, so I voted for string cheese.
    Reached BSL November 2013!
    Goal: tailbone

Length
    <bsl/39"/long!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

There was a huge change in how my updo's cooperated when I cut off my severly damaged, tapered, broken ends last year. I went from being able to do crown braids to not - there were blunt tuffs of hair sticking out everywhere from the braid. I had difficulties keeping all of my hair in buns as well.

I wouldn't sacrifice a blunt, healthy hemline for updo's. I would rather deal with my hair looking so healthy and thick that it wants to break free and run wild.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    bra strap - mid back - waist - lower back - hip - tailbone - classic - knee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've lost the ability to do certain buns after cutting away Velcro ends, but I usually come up with something within a few days. I'd rather have healthy ends; I hate to fight with grabby ends. Just getting a comb through them is a chore.

FTEs definitely stay better in an updo than thick blunt ends. I like to wear my hair down and I've found that a very layered haircut with a V hemline works well to get the best of both worlds... BUT now all my updos are "messy" because of the layers. You can't seem to win. I think you just choose what you like better and deal with the cons that come with it. For example, my hair looked really nice in a figure 8 bun when I didn't have many layers but now that I have so many layers it doesn't exactly look like a figure 8 bun anymore even though I can still make one.

Length
    bald/21/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I had blunt cut for sometime and it worked great for most updo's especially braids. I guess BUNs would come out equally well with FTE or blunt ....
    V cut is good for some updos but for most it will be a hassle ... braids tend to look thinner at the ends with V
    Layers is worst for any updo but can look great for hair down ... currently suffering from layers

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I have a V cut I am growing out. I did the same updo I had on my friend's BSL blunt cut, I got really jealous how much nicer it looked! She's asian, her hair is straight yet has the same texture as mine.

I think it depends on the hair. My hair is super coarse, I think it's more manageable with blunt ends. I guess I'll find out!

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Layers are the only thing that I've really had a problem with for updos. Although sometimes I get compliments because they stick out in a fan-like, "artistic" way. I still don't like it.

I would not sacrifice my personal preferences for the sake of up dos. But I wear my hair down more than up.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I voted other, because for me there's a lot of difference between blunt-straight across and blunt U-shaped. Blunt straight across won't tuck for anything, but that tiny bit of layering that a U-shape has? So much easier!

Length
    3"/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Blunt for sure. My FTEs are so wispy and thin that I can't get a grip on them to tuck or pin them (There's an updo pic in my album that's a fine example of this ) My FTEs also split and damage easily, so they get Velcro-y and cause tangles.

I'm currently in the process of microtrimming to get to a blunt hemline. I took just shy of an inch off last night, and I was magically able to put my hair in a cinnamon bun with sticks today! Well, ok they were actually old pens with no ink, but same idea