Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to hate my hair :-(

Length
    12 in/38 in/55 in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Starting to hate my hair :-(

I'm really starting to hate my hair. I get that "I'm gonna chop it all off" feeling every once in a while but lately it's really getting to me. It's EVERYWHERE. I shed so much I wonder why I'm not bald already. Stress and thyroid issues. It tangles so easily now, never this bad before. Except for a short time between 2007 and 2010 I have had the same straight long hair and I am getting bored with it. The only thing i can do with it it is put it in a bun (and i wonder while it's still all over the house in everything) even a braid gets horribly tangled with i take it down. Maybe it's mid life crises or something but I want a change. But the last time I cut it (200 I was devastated and depressed for months....I think I'm STILL depressed over that. Any suggestions on how or what to do to get passed this?
    TINA

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: Starting to hate my hair :-(

I feel your frustration. I also shed a lot and have lost a lot of my thickness. My suggestions are to buy a new hair toy to make your bun feel less boring or try some new styles that will make you fall in love with your hair again. As for the tangling, have you trimmed recently? A small trim can make all the difference with renewing the ends.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I think I know how you feel. I've felt that during seasonal shedding and I really almost chopped it to APL.....Now I would be hating myself. I love my hair so much!
    Hmm...you must be feeling even worse, if shedding lasts longer. I think the key is to fix the shedding somehow. I have no experience with thyroid problems, wish I could be more helpful.
    I'm sure it's just a phase though. You hair is so pretty!
    LadyArasinya, Protector of the Forest Heart Stag in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Your hair is beautiful. I would hate to see you cut it. Maybe you could make a smaller change like cutting bangs.

I am also very frustrated with how easily my hair tangles. It;s been this way my whole life, but it seems even worse now.

I'm not very good at making different styles, but it helps to watch videos. Have you tried that?

Lisa

quote=FroggyMonkeyMom;1955236]I'm really starting to hate my hair. I get that "I'm gonna chop it all off" feeling every once in a while but lately it's really getting to me. It's EVERYWHERE. I shed so much I wonder why I'm not bald already. Stress and thyroid issues. It tangles so easily now, never this bad before. Except for a short time between 2007 and 2010 I have had the same straight long hair and I am getting bored with it. The only thing i can do with it it is put it in a bun (and i wonder while it's still all over the house in everything) even a braid gets horribly tangled with i take it down. Maybe it's mid life crises or something but I want a change. But the last time I cut it (200 I was devastated and depressed for months....I think I'm STILL depressed over that. Any suggestions on how or what to do to get passed this?[/quote]
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Try medication, or an anti-shed shampoo from the pharmacy. Also, benign neglect helps alot...just throw your hair up, and forget about it. Make a deep treatment once in a while. That will make your hair feel better. Don't cut it, you have such beautiful hair.I'm fighting the crazy shed aswell. You are not alon, but we musn't give up. Good luck.

Length
    12 in/38 in/55 in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

How will trimming help tangling? It usually tangles near my head. Well, I haven't cut anything in over three years. I don't have split or damaged ends so I never thought to do it. I am considering getting some layers. But not sure what that would do to a braid or a bun :-/?
    TINA

Length
    SL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Do you want to trade for APL for a few weeks?

First of all I want to say that your hair is beautiful.
    I guess it's normal to feel like just chopping it all off once in a while. I think we all get that feeling sometimes. Even though my hair is not nearly as long as yours I felt the same way about a month ago. I was annoyed because I shed and sometimes I couldn't fall asleep because I felt like my hair was in the way no matter how I was lying. (esp when I was sleeping with it loose, but still when in a braid) How do you wear your hair in the night btw?

I still feel like chopping off my hair once in a while, but it helps me a lot to be able to go to LHC and look at all you beautiful long-haired ladies

About what you can do I don't know what else to say than hold on and try to remember why you wanted your hair long - and hold on to that thought.
    I wish you the best

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

A small change like face-framing fringe might help, also a trim. I don't understand why it works either because when I do S&D, I find most of the damage is more in my length rather than on the longest ends. Still, even a 1/2 inch trim will often improve issues with tangling.

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Try to keep smiling, your hair is gorgeous! Stress is going to add to you shedding so breathe

Have you tried mineral oil (baby oil) on your ends when damp after washing? This tip from Ktani has helped me beyond belief and a few others recently. Seriously I felt as fed up with my hair as you do and was ready to make an appointment to cut a lot off and now I absolutely love my hair again with no trims!! It has left my hair soft, shiny and no tangles so could be just what you need!!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

You could cut your hair back to a slightly more manageable length like TB? Definitely do what will make you happy. If you have your heart set on extreme length definitely do that and maybe try out some different sorts of updos to spice things up. But if you just want long hair and really need a break from it, classic length or TB wouldn't be bad options.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic