Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil

Length
    Chin/BSL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Coconut Oil

Hi Everyone, I Love TLHC, everyone here has helped save my hair so much, I bleached religiously to platinum for a looong time, dyed it dark and bleached it back again and again, Last year Dec a hairdresser fried my hair to the point of bubblegum hair, I had it colour corrected and carried on getting highlights to keep it lighted (I wish I had learnt my lesson), my hair broke off to collarbone length from MBL , I got tired of the damage and went into an obessive hair resucue, I did dye it as close to my natural colour as possible (I had about more than 4 inches of regrowth untouched by bleach or dye - as I had decided to give my hair a break from bleach) - I dyed the length but not the roots - my roots are still untouched.

I have argan oiled, coconut oiled, bought a BBB, only use this and a tangle teezer, I stretch my washes to once every 7 days (10 is my max so far) I alternate between CO washes and using Loreal Low shampoo on my roots and a deep argan oil treatment conditioner, I do not brush when wet etc.

My question though is as my coconut oil is a solid until heated , what is the best way to heat it , someone told me to just pop it in the microwave for a few seonds (which is what i have been doing) is there a better way, am I destroying the coconut oils goodness with the microwave?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Tamaryn/Desktop/720e1c15-36d1-4a9b-b6aa-5c3cf9ab5e86.jpg[/IMG]

Student of long hair care squirrrel's Avatar
    Length
    24/45.7/?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Makyle View Post
    Hi Everyone, I Love TLHC, everyone here has helped save my hair so much, I bleached religiously to platinum for a looong time, dyed it dark and bleached it back again and again, Last year Dec a hairdresser fried my hair to the point of bubblegum hair, I had it colour corrected and carried on getting highlights to keep it lighted (I wish I had learnt my lesson), my hair broke off to collarbone length from MBL , I got tired of the damage and went into an obessive hair resucue, I did dye it as close to my natural colour as possible (I had about more than 4 inches of regrowth untouched by bleach or dye - as I had decided to give my hair a break from bleach) - I dyed the length but not the roots - my roots are still untouched.

I have argan oiled, coconut oiled, bought a BBB, only use this and a tangle teezer, I stretch my washes to once every 7 days (10 is my max so far) I alternate between CO washes and using Loreal Low shampoo on my roots and a deep argan oil treatment conditioner, I do not brush when wet etc.

My question though is as my coconut oil is a solid until heated , what is the best way to heat it , someone told me to just pop it in the microwave for a few seonds (which is what i have been doing) is there a better way, am I destroying the coconut oils goodness with the microwave?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Tamaryn/Desktop/720e1c15-36d1-4a9b-b6aa-5c3cf9ab5e86.jpg[/IMG]
    For me, it depends what I’m doing. If I only want to put a little on the ends, I simply melt it in my hands, before getting the oil on my fingers. If I want to do more to it, and maybe mix with things like Shea butter, I take two Pyrex measuring jugs, put the smaller one inside the bigger one, and put boiling water from the kettle inside the larger one too. I then have a double boiler type set up, which works brilliantly for all my melting oil and butter together needs.

I would defer to others on the question of the microwave doing bad things to the oil, but I think this might have been one of the reasons the website I was reading suggested not using the microwave. I simply know that I don’t consider using the microwave for this purpose at this point.

I use it as a prepoo treatment. I heavily oil my hair. Put a plastic cap and turbie towel over it. Sleep in it and wash it out in the morning. For my hair type (fine and thin), it is too heavy for a leave in. It makes my hair look oily no matter how little I use. The prepoo treatment makes it oooooh so shiny though.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Makyle View Post

I've only ever melted it in my hands, though sometimes I've had to hold my hands over a heater to help I no longer use coconut oil because my hair suddenly decided it hated it, but I used it a few times sparingly, sometimes a medium amount, and a few times slathering it all over my hair. No matter how much I used, melting in my hands did a good enough job.

[Btw images from your computer won't show here, you'd have to post them from an LHC album (never tried that myself, as I find so many that others post just don't show up) or from an external image-hosting site like imgur or Flickr.]

I'm glad you're finding LHC so useful
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

That's why I don't use coconut oil in winter, only liquid oils. I don't know if it would solidify in my hair or not. I have jojoba or camellia oil that I need to use up anyway.

Length
    16/24/48
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Hi Everyone! I tried leaving coconut oil in overnight on damp hair and I think I made the mistake and didn't realise that I had to wash it out. For some reason I thought it was a leave in daily treatment.
    I notice my hair is still damp I am assuming thats because the oil is stopping the hair from drying?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elizas View Post
    Hi Everyone! I tried leaving coconut oil in overnight on damp hair and I think I made the mistake and didn't realise that I had to wash it out. For some reason I thought it was a leave in daily treatment.
    I notice my hair is still damp I am assuming thats because the oil is stopping the hair from drying?
    You *can* use it as a daily leave-in or as a pre-wash treatment; it depends on how much you use and your own hair type. Coarse hair and hair with higher porosity will tolerate coconut oil as a leave-in better than fine hair or hair with low porosity. For a leave-in you really want a tiny amount, like a fingernail scraping; more than that is better suited to a pre-wash treatment.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

I have a hack for melting coconut oil (and babassu oil): melt the bottle/jar of oil in a baby bottle heater!

I like coconut oil on damp hair and under a shower cap+wool cap for 30 min.
    After the 30min I shampoo and condition as usual. This is the only way for me. Cocnut oil on dry hair, I don't like the feel. Is it a low/high porosity thing? I wonder.

Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I've only ever used coconut oil as a mask only hair for an hour before shampooing out, didn't know i could use it as a leave in,I'll have to give it a try.