Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible for me to move away from daily washing?

Default Is it possible for me to move away from daily washing?

I'm new here as you can see but I've already spent many hours reading this forum. I'm 35 and have approaching BSL hair. Since I hit puberty I've been washing my hair daily. I wash in the morning and by the next morning it's greasy and needing washed again. I wouldn't leave the house without washing it.

Is there anything that will help me lengthen the time between washes?

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Is it possible for me to move away from daily washing?

You can try BS wash and ACV rinse or CO only. Both helped me reduce oil production and now I can skip a day or two (or three). Now that the heater is on in the house, my hair wants more moisture, so back to my moisturizing coconut shampoo and conditioner, but not everyday

Thanks Kelikea. Is BS bicarbonate of soda? What's ACV/CO? Sorry!

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

BS bicarb or baking soda
    ACV apple cider vinegar
    CO conditioner only--I use VO5 vanilla mint tea

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I personally wouldn't use BS/ACV - the alkalinity of the BS just isn't that great for the hair long-term, and there's nothing moisturising about that routine.

(it might work well, heavily diluted, for fine, straight, non-porous hair. People with porous hair/moisture-loving hair/curls don't seem to do well with it).

For me, a major culprit for the greasies was using shampoos containing SLS on my sensitive scalp, prompting it to produce more oil in self-defence. You might be sensitive to SLS if washing up liquid makes your hands feel dry or "tight".

Switching to SLS-free shampoo allowed me to stretch washes further. I now CO and use SLS-free shampoo occasionally. I too washed daily during puberty when my hair was super-greasy, but now even the most paranoid over-washer wouldn't say my hair needed washing more than every other day, though I tend to go 3-5 days depending on where I have to be.

If you have very fine, very straight hair it might not be possible for you to stretch further than every other day; I've noticed a lot of people with this hairtype mentioning that their hair gets flat and limp if they don't wash at least that often.

The main reason not to wash too often is that SLS-containing shampoo is very drying; however if you eventually find you really need to wash frequently switching to a gentler wash method such as CO will prevent your hair getting dried out.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

I had been using Pantene but have been given Liz Earle shampoo for Christmas which is SLS free: http://uk.lizearle.com/haircare/botanical-shine-shampoo.html.
    It's a bit pricey to be using long term though so I'll have a look out for an alternative.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Speaking for myself, washing using conditioner only and no shampoo (CO washing, there's an article and a monster thread on it) made a big difference in how much oil my scalp produces. It seems that my scalp finds the dryness from shampooing irritating, and responds by dumping out tons of oil. Over weeks or months of using shampoo only to clarify (read: occasional degunking from any conditioner buildup), my oil production has gone down to the point where I wash about every 4 days in the winter and maybe every 5-6 days in the summer.

If your scalp is like mine and reacts to dryness or harsh washing, you might get good results by (1) switching to a non-sulfate shampoo, (2) diluting what shampoo you do use, and/or (3) not using shampoo at all but washing with conditioner, herbs, eggs, or clay. There are lots of options.

On the other hand, scalps are pre-programmed to make a certain amount of oil, and this varies from person to person and can vary through life with changing circumstances. If you're predisposed to pump out a lot of sebum, a gentler washing method might not make any difference in how frequently you need to wash.

Only experimentation can tell. I'd suggest you pick something and stick with it for at least a 2 months if it's not bad, washing when your hair looks greasy but not before. See what happens.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

I used to have to wash my hair every day also. It would just look too greasy. Now that it's winter, I'm washing every 3 or 4 days. I switched to a natural shampoo and conditioner (Burt's Bees) and started stretching first to every other day. My hair would be greasy the next day, but I'd just put it up. Then I started stretching to two days, just putting my hair up both days. It took only a couple of months before my second day hair looked just as good as my first day hair. I actually like it even better than my first day hair now, because it doesn't have the frizzies I get on the first day. I can air dry, then bun or braid my hair the first day, and let it out with nice waves and no frizz on day two. I love not having to wet and dry my hair every day. In between, I use a plastic bag as a shower cap to shower and keep my hair dry. When I wash my face, I do clean the baby hairs around my forehead, which tend to look greasy faster, but the rest of my hair looks great!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    ....Lady Sha'abi of the Thousand Golden Coins in the Order of the Long Haired Knights...

The magical Forest In David Bowie's Tights
    Length
    TBL/BSL/APL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I think the best way to stretch washes is to just deal. Put your hair up if it's greasy.

Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Curly Girl Method!! Longest Length: Bum Length Current: BSL Goal: Shorter

Length
    APL/Hip/FrTip
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I second Amber Maiden. Your scalp just needs time to adjust. I had the same problem. It took a few weeks, but I have stretched my washing a lot. Be patient.
    Knitting my way to longer hair.