Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on minimizing hair damage during beach vacation?

Struggling in Brave New World with vacations to Neverland
    Length
    SL/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Question Advice on minimizing hair damage during beach vacation?

Dear LHC-ers,

I'm going on a snorkeling/diving-holiday to Egypt, so for about two weeks I will

a) dunk my head in saltwater on a daily basis
    b) have scarce time during the day to do something with my hair and probably I will just put a towel on it and/or wear it half-dry in a ponytail, very probably without a chance to wash out the salt till at least evening, back in the apartment

I've just started caring about my hair three months ago and I can already see very good changes. I don't want to mess it up again...
    Do you guys have advice on handling your hair during a beach/sea-vacation? Is there something I can put on the hair in advance to protect it or something I can put on during the night? Will the saltwater be very damaging?

I have to add, I have stopped using anything with "repair" in its name as well as anything with silicones... for the moment I use a shampoo and a conditioner both from natural cosmetic lines.

Any help will be appreciated!

Length
    ??/30/35
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Advice on minimizing hair damage during beach vacation?

I read in a magazine a while ago that you can put deep conditioner into wet hair and tie it up in a bun when you go swimming at the beach. That way it protects it and I guess when you get back from snorkelling you can just rinse it out and your hair will be well conditioned.
    26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

The "condition before" trick does work! I was on swim team in highschool and it kept my hair from having any problems.. I also do that when I go to the beach, it works like a charm!
    Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Length
    bsl/hips/clss+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Bring lots of coconut oil. After swimming in the sea rinse your hair amply with fresh water, put the oil in, braid it! Next day precondition and repeat. This procedure saved me last summer when I spend two weeks camping at the mediterranean sea. I didn't use shampoo and conditioner at all but that was a personal preference.
    No trims in 2012
    No more shedding..No more shedding..

Type
    2a/F/ii

Make sure you protect your hair from the sun. Wear a white hat, bandana or scarf on your head at all times (one that covers your scalp AND your hair). It might be worth the time to braid it too because it is tougher for water and sun to reach all of your hairs. And most importantly have fun on your trip!

Length
    SL/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Talking Re: Advice on minimizing hair damage during beach vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Roscata View Post
    Make sure you protect your hair from the sun. Wear a white hat, bandana or scarf on your head at all times (one that covers your scalp AND your hair). It might be worth the time to braid it too because it is tougher for water and sun to reach all of your hairs. And most importantly have fun on your trip!
    Thank you everybody!
    Roscata, scarf on the head sounds reasonable.... do you happen to have a link to a "how-to"? You're talking to someone who can "do" two hairstyles, open and ponytail; and has no idea about style. I'm afraid to look extremely stupid without practicing opportunity.

Type
    2a/F/ii

How exciting! New hairdos are the funnest part of having long hair. Practice makes perfect so don't get discouraged.

Here is my favorite braiding resource: Braiding Instructions and youtube tutorial.

Length
    BSL/BSL/nfnty
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

When I go swimming, I always oil my hair pretty heavily beforehand then put it up in a protective style. Side braids are good because they're easy to re-do even when it's wet.

Length
    SL/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thank you!! I think I'll start with the Arwen Braid from "The Two Towers".. ehm, I mean the Basic 3-Strand Braid.

Do you know any how-to's for wrapping scarves, sheets, clothes around my head to protect my hair like you suggested, preferably in a stupid proof way?

Type
    2a/F/ii

This is a cool tutorial for different styles: how to wear scarves (3,4,5 and 6 are going to protect against the sun).