Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to oil?

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default How to oil?

Hello everyone and merry Christmas!

I have recently bought some coconut oil, for the first time, and I am not sure how best to use it?

Should I use it dry or wet? Any tips would be very much appreciated!?

Thank you! Hannah x

Length
    buzz/pixie/pixie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: How to oil?

I love coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment. Pre-wash, you can use a rather heavy amount; I just melt a dime size (I have short hair) in my hands and apply it to my ends, let sit, and then go wash off as usual. Some people oil as a leave-in too, I think most people oil damp hair. One thing you want to remember is that post-wash, less is more!
    Finding a way to love my hair.

Length
    ~3"/~6"/~12"
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

I love coconut oil also. I use it as both as a pre-wash/overnight treatment and as a leave in after wash. Jujube is correct about amounts...you only need a smidge if your applying as a leave in after cleansing. I live in southern New England and winter is HORRIBLE with the dry heat. This has been helping with static and flyways and my hair is still quite short.

PS: Also amazing on your skin....no snake-legs so far this season.

Length
    chin/chin/TB

Quote Originally Posted by swtchks0327 View Post
    I love coconut oil also. I use it as both as a pre-wash/overnight treatment and as a leave in after wash. Jujube is correct about amounts...you only need a smidge if your applying as a leave in after cleansing. I live in southern New England and winter is HORRIBLE with the dry heat. This has been helping with static and flyways and my hair is still quite short.

PS: Also amazing on your skin....no snake-legs so far this season.
    I oil a tiny bit on damp hair. I'm tb length, and a little goes a looong way. If my ends are especially unhappy with me that day, then I'll spritz some water on my ends, then use a teeny bit of coconut oil to make them happy again.
    I never do overnight treatments. I might try it though.

What?!?!
    Not to go off topic but I just started using coconut oil on my skin (face) and was amazed, but legs too??? Whaaat? I'm totally rockin' snake legs right now, off to my coconut oil jar!!

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

You can also make oil-shampoo with it! Coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft when mixed with shampoo. Basically, I mix an ounce or so of organic sls free shampoo, and ounce of distilled water, and a tsp of warmed/melted coconut oil in a dispenser bottle, shake and use instead of regular shampoo. Follow with acidic rinse (I use diluted acv.)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15/47/50?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I only wash my hair every 3-4 days, but I oil my hair every time after I shower.
    Then at night I oil my ends.
    Its a leave in for me.
    Mmmm moisture.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

A small word of warning, coconut oil can re-solidify on the hair when it's cold, so you might be best to stick to other oils at the moment if it's winter where you are. Extra virgin olive oil is a good one to try though, and it's generally easily available and doesn't break the bank.

That said, here's what I do. Your hair should be freshly detangled first, so just after you've brushed/combed. For a light post-wash oiling, I use a tiny amount - 2-3 drops of liquid oil or a tiny fingernail scraping of coconut oil. I rub it between my hands - there should just be a slight sheen on your hands. Then I sandwich my hair between my palms, and run my hands down the length of my hair several times, applying the most to the ends. You literally only need a tiny amount, can't stress that enough. Not sure what length you're working with, but going by your hair type info, start with 1 drop of liquid oil and work up if you need to.

For heavy pre-wash oilings, I go a little nuts. I do the same as the above, but with much larger amounts, until my hair is literally stringy, then I braid it, sleep on it, and then wash it in the morning.

Doing this with coconut oil will help prevent protein loss from your hair during washing - olive oil will do the same thing to a lesser extent, but definitely still worth it. If you're a swimmer, heavily oiling your hair before you swim - and then getting it really saturated with shower water just before you get in - will help protect your hair from the effects of the chlorine.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Heidi W's excellent article on hair oiling:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=71

Ktani also has an interesting article on oil and what it does to your hair (see Articles section (Grey menu bar, above) and click on Hair care)

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I mix mine with other oils and water mist on my hair. I've misted on dry hair if it was really in need of oil.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    14"/Waist/meh?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I also swear by jojoba oil. Coconut makes my skin break out anywhere the oiled hair touches me. But that's just me. Experiment a little until you find what you love.
    Long, then short, now back to long again.
    You've heard of crazy cat ladies? I'm a crazy rat lady.