Thread: What do you recommend to save my ends?

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Default What do you recommend to save my ends?

I don't want to cut it at this point since it's already so short, but the ends are getting really dry (no split-ends yet). Anything I can do to keep the ends?

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: What do you recommend to save my ends?

What kind of products do you use? Are you doing anything to your hair that could be causing dry hair?
    Usually when my ends get funky I clarify, do a deep moisture treatment (SMT), and leave a tiny, tiny amount of coconut oil on them.
    Though, pro-tip. When you're ends get really bad it's more progressive to cut them off then keep them. Leaving trashed ends on could be detrimental to the good hair if the damage decides to travel upwards.
    Last edited by Mairéad; December 13th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

use a leave in moisture conditioner or a hair mask- that helped me.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

My ends are like that, even when my hair is really short and healthy. Oil has been the best solution for me, plus Apple Cider Vinegar rinses help. I like coconut, avocado, and sweet almond oil. Argan oil is great, but I have found it "dries" fast and I have to oil more often.

Good Luck
    Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Length
    apl/bsl/tlbon
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

I adore castor oil to prevent dryness. I put a little on the ends of my damp hair when I'm out of the shower and my hair is glossy, shiny, super soft and frizz-free! Best discovery ever, never ever thought it was possible for me to have hair like that! And wayyyy better than expensive Lush conditioners I used to use.

ACV rinse in the shower after washing is also fantastic. It smells, but the smell goes away when your hair dries, and I use it instead of conditioning in the shower lately.

I find coconut oil makes my hair feel dry actually (although I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment on my ends sometimes, and I like it on my skin), and olive oil is too greasy (but I also love it on my skin, in verrrrry small amounts). Haven't tried too many other oils yet.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

A pree wash oil treatment before I wash my hair really helps my ends! Coconut oil or EVVO are known to be good for this. Also a deep treatment like an SMT.
    Last edited by einna; December 13th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

Length
    Ear/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

An overnight oil treatment could really help. I mix up castor oil, coconut oil, and argan oil with some essential oils (for a nice scent). Put in the hair, wrap up in plastic, and leave on overnight while sleeping. In the morning, put in lots of conditioner. Leave the conditioner on for thirty minutes, then get it slightly wet. Work into a rich lather, let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse it all out. When I use this method I have nice ends and no excess oil remaining in the hair.
    Reached BSL November 2013!
    Goal: tailbone