Thread: back to square one

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Angry back to square one

I had my routine fairly well sorted - CV poo bars, vinegar, non-coney condish, oil (argan oil rocks!!), regular SMT and an occasional clarifying wash with SLSy shampoo. And avoid the Body Shop products.
    Then I moved.
    There are more minerals in the water here, and washing with poo bars leaves my hair feeling rather sticky, and my hair seems less tolerant of oils, and my hair reacts even worse to Body Shop products than before.
    I suspect I need to use more SLSy shampoo, and perhaps also return to cones. Oh well, if that is what it takes to keep my hair happy...
    And when winter temperatures sink, the moisture level in the air also will sink. And suck moisture right out of my hair!
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: back to square one

We have really hard water here, and I find that SLS and cones work best for me too. And lots of SMTs are great for dry weather.

It's frustrating how much water quality affects hair care.
    {free of stress about length gains}
    47.5" of hair (4/9/20)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'm sorry to hear that you have to change hair products. I know what that's like finding something that works and then having to start over.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    chin/ftl/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I live in an are with very soft water. When I travel, I'm always afraid to wash my hair because it feels weird with hard water.

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Guh! I feel your pain. I just moved into a city with really hard water, and it's been wreaking havoc. I always think that my ends are getting velcro-y or that it's really dry when it's just mineral deposition.

Things that are definitely helping:
    1. ACV rinses. These help a lot. I did fairly strong rinses (1:5 ratio) for about a week to get rid of the build up I had, and now I'm down to 1:10 every other day.
    2. Do treatments longer. A lot of my hair treatments seems to need longer to take affect.
    3. Damp bunning went from a cool trick to a necessity. I try to sleep with my hair in a damp bun every now and then. It seems to help.

I'm toying with the idea of making my deep treatment recipes with bottled water now. I'm wondering if the hard water makes it's more difficult for the goodness to help my hair.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Maybe you need a chelating shampoo to remove the mineral deposits and then your regular hair products will work again.

The magical Forest In David Bowie's Tights
    Length
    TBL/BSL/APL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    Guh! I feel your pain. I just moved into a city with really hard water, and it's been wreaking havoc. I always think that my ends are getting velcro-y or that it's really dry when it's just mineral deposition.

Things that are definitely helping:
    1. ACV rinses. These help a lot. I did fairly strong rinses (1:5 ratio) for about a week to get rid of the build up I had, and now I'm down to 1:10 every other day.
    2. Do treatments longer. A lot of my hair treatments seems to need longer to take affect.
    3. Damp bunning went from a cool trick to a necessity. I try to sleep with my hair in a damp bun every now and then. It seems to help.

I'm toying with the idea of making my deep treatment recipes with bottled water now. I'm wondering if the hard water makes it's more difficult for the goodness to help my hair.
    Exactly what she said! I'm doing all of those and it seems to be helping me loads! I don't and won't use bottled water though- I'm way too into the environment. I'd ratehr use a filter.

Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Curly Girl Method!! Longest Length: Bum Length Current: BSL Goal: Shorter

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Even without moving, I find that my routine needs to be shaken up from time to time. It's the nature of living, I guess.

Length
    18/26/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I recently moved to a home with well water. My water contains so much iron -- it's stained my hair strawberry blonde. The color is great, but the buildup is terrible. I was having trouble with oils and "grabby" hair. I read up on the miracle water thread and it's been yielding consistent, good results. It's the only water that touches my hair. However, you're using vinegar rinses so I'm not sure if it will help.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=51184

I haven't moved, but I have noticed if the same product is used constantly, it seems to plateau. Their effectiveness just seems to wears out... Maybe you could try rotating around shampoos/conditioners?