Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are some serums w/silicones called heat protectants and others not?

Length
    ~24"/30"/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Why are some serums w/silicones called heat protectants and others not?

Hello!

I notice that two hair products will have almost the same ingredients list in the same order, yet one is called a heat protectant and one a smoothing serum. Why is that?

Thanks!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/tbl
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Why are some serums w/silicones called heat protectants and others not?

So they can make a buck. You need a product for "this" and a product for "that".. it is simply a marketing scheme.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

The magical Forest In David Bowie's Tights
    Length
    TBL/BSL/APL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Why are some serums w/silicones called heat protectants and others not?

Quote Originally Posted by xoxophelia View Post
    So they can make a buck. You need a product for "this" and a product for "that".. it is simply a marketing scheme.
    I agree with this. Hit it on the head. marketing all the way.

Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Curly Girl Method!! Longest Length: Bum Length Current: BSL Goal: Shorter

Length
    ~24"/30"/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I wondered...
    it figures.
    I don't use silicones but I do blow dry my hair in winter or else it will take like 24 hrs to dry. I'm not even exaggerating.

If anyone knows of something that will even slightly reduce heat damage I would appreciate advice. I know a tiny serum isn't going to save hair from heat but perhaps a technique or someway of drying hair fast that is healthier for hair would be nice.

Length
    14/25/36
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

An ionic hair dryer works faster and reduces frizz. Try that.

xoxo
    gothchiq

Madora has an air-drying method that takes about 30 minutes. WO seems to really speed the process for some. I'm with you in that I'd much rather try a method than another product.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by alxardnax View Post
    If anyone knows of something that will even slightly reduce heat damage I would appreciate advice. I know a tiny serum isn't going to save hair from heat but perhaps a technique or someway of drying hair fast that is healthier for hair would be nice.
    If you do blowdry, keep the blowdryer on the lowest temperature setting (and don't use a round brush to style it). My blowdryer has 3 temperature settings, the lowest is cool, the middle slightly warmish. The third setting is off limits! I've used a blowdryer since I was young, and I've never had damage from it (had classic length then). Other things like a crimper or straightening/curling iron are very damaging, though, but how many times more hot are those!
    Last edited by lapushka; November 29th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ~24"/30"/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks! I will have to look up this Madora method!
    I already use my blow-dryer on the lowest heat setting and I don't try to style it while I dry it, like with a round brush and whatnot. I try to let it air dry a bit first and pat it dry with a micro fiber towel (which btw, doesn't seem to dry hair more effectively than a regular towel for me...).
    Yeah, I can only imagine what damage a curling and straightening iron wreck on your hair!
    I appreciate all the advice!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

It is not just marketing in this case. It is about the silicone(s) used, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=185.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Thank you for that ktani. It reinforced my own observations.