Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry itchy scalp "dandruff" issue.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Dry itchy scalp "dandruff" issue.

So, I always thought I had dandruff because the itchy only seems to go away when I use head and shoulders. But H&S has so many chemicals and I felt like it was probably drying out my hair, so I went sulfate free. So now, for the past month or more, ive been using Natures Gate tea tree shampoo. But it does NOT combat the itch nor does it moisturize. My hair feels dry after using it. I use a cone free condish (suave) after, which brings back the moisture, but i really need to find something that will fight the dandruff and itch without drying my hair. I really dont know what to do. I was looking into using MN, since a lot of people with itchy scalp had great results from using it (I ordered some online the other day, so well see if it works.) But if i can try anything else, i would. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Dry itchy scalp "dandruff" issue.

I hear rubbing Olive Oil into your scalp works... and taking zinc supplements
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    I hear rubbing Olive Oil into your scalp works... and taking zinc supplements
    Olive oil makes my hair REALLY greasy. I have fine hair and not a lot of it. Lol.
    And zinc supplements? Ill look into it though I think im getting enough from my one a day.

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I have a problem with pseudo-dandruff that's probably related to my eczema. Like you, Head and Shoulders does a pretty good job of controlling it -- but using it too often can dry out my scalp and cause more flakes. Sometimes it also gets worse for no apparent reason. What I do is use Head and Shoulders once or twice a week, and CO in between. Switching around washing methods gives me the best of both worlds: the CO doesn't have time to build up because I don't use it twice in a row, the H&S takes care of my dandruff but doesn't get the chance to dry out my scalp. Stretching washes to every other day also helps, and like many people I find that my hair is nicer if I wash it less.

I hope this helps! Scalp problems can be a huge pain, and it's frustrating because it's not always clear what causes it. Just experiment and see if you can figure it out.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Im trying to be sulfate free though, because my hair is "wavy" and tends to dry out EXTREME when I use sulfates. But the sulfate free shampoo seems to dry more than sulfates do to my hair which is odd.. But i dont know. Im going to try MN and see what happens.

Length
    SL/26.5"/30"
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Hmmm. Coconut Oil on the scalp helps me. I leave Oil or a Scalp Cream scalp soak on overnight or during the day pre-wash, so I get the benefits but I'm not stuck with an oily head. It probably isn't as good as leaving it on all the time, but that's not an option for me. See my blog.
    Last edited by Lissandria; November 23rd, 2011 at 03:37 AM.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I have the same problems, and castor oil does wonders for me. I leave it on overnight 3 times a week, and was out in the morning. You should try it.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    18/26/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I've never used it but I hear Lush's Snake Oil is amazing for dry/itchy scalps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    So, I always thought I had dandruff because the itchy only seems to go away when I use head and shoulders. But H&S has so many chemicals and I felt like it was probably drying out my hair, so I went sulfate free. So now, for the past month or more, ive been using Natures Gate tea tree shampoo. But it does NOT combat the itch nor does it moisturize. My hair feels dry after using it. I use a cone free condish (suave) after, which brings back the moisture, but i really need to find something that will fight the dandruff and itch without drying my hair. I really dont know what to do. I was looking into using MN, since a lot of people with itchy scalp had great results from using it (I ordered some online the other day, so well see if it works.) But if i can try anything else, i would. Can anyone offer suggestions?
    Consider OTC (Over The Counter) Nizoral shampoo. (It also comes in prescription strength.) You may end up having to wash your hair a tad more frequently. It does not dry hair out as so many other dandruff shampoos do, and it works differently than most dandruff shampoos. Its main ingredient is different. You could consider following with a kind of vinegar rinse. ACV rinse is popular, but I don't recommend it for colored or light colored hair colors. In that case, use white vinegar and water as the rinse.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    18"/36"/37"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

You can also try tea tree essential oil, lavender essential oil. Google essential oils, itchy scalp because i know there are more. By the way, ive used H&S for soooo many years. it always cured the itch, i liked what it did for my hair, and ive recently noted that pyrithione zinc does good things for your scalp - cant remember what off hand though....
    New Blog 'Pinned Upsweeps' for my fine/thinnish/slippery updo problems