Thread: My friend burned my hair :(

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default My friend burned my hair :(

I am so upset this weekend my friend burned my hair
    She was using mousse and a hot iron to curl my hair.. it looked pretty but after I got out of the shower my hair smelled so burned! it was such an awful smell. Then I noticed I had split ends.. I haven't had those in a year after joining this forum! So it's been 2 days, and after a coconut oil treatment I can still smell the burn in my hair. Right now my hair still looks the same it's just the smell that's scaring me.. but I keep on thinking that my hair is going to break off all of a sudden. I just need someone to tell me it's going to be ok and my hair will go back to normal soon

Length
    21/22/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: My friend burned my hair :(

To be fair, your friend didn't burn your hair.. you let your friend near you with a mousse and a curling iron...

On a lighter note you seem to have treated your hair nicely since, the coconut oil may help, just be very gentle with it for a while
    Happiness is contagious!

APL BSL WAIST HIP

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

yes I know it's my fault for letting her near me with that god-awful curling iron. No more wine for me!!!!

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

That was not a good curling iron! It sounds like it was way too hot for your hair.
    I'm sorry to hear that it damaged your hair. Maybe you should get a little trim?
    Hopefully you can laugh about it after a while...

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

getting a trim is not what I want to hear
    but yes, all wounds heal in time so hopefully I can laugh about it when my hair regains its health.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Lesson learnt I suppose, any heat appliances can do this. I am sorry about your hair maybe a few SMT's will sort things out for you, you may find a few months down the line the affected areas may split or look damaged, then a trim is all that will help.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    1a/M/ii

If it was only done once, the damage might not be very bad, and babying your hair combined with more frequent S&Ding could be all that is needed to get it back on track...
    There's no way to tell beforehand though, as it depends on so many factors like how damaged was your hair already, how resilient is your hair naturally, how it is treated day-to-day... You'll just have to wait and see how your hair reacts over time.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by katienoonan View Post
    To be fair, your friend didn't burn your hair.. you let your friend near you with a mousse and a curling iron...

On a lighter note you seem to have treated your hair nicely since, the coconut oil may help, just be very gentle with it for a while

Yep, to be honest it's not your friend's fault, it's your own. You shouldn't have let any heat near your hair in the first point.

Your hair will eventually go back to normal. S&D, oil, and handle gently. It could take up to a year though...
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length