Page 76 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: The official hair typing thread

Default Re: The official hair typing thread

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    WOW no way is that 1c/2a! 2b at least, but I kind of wanna say 2b/2c because those are definitely distinct wurls, definitely part-spiral. Feeling it looks sparse is understandable, especially having lived a whole life already with 'straight hair standards' (can't think of better wording, but you know what I mean) but honestly I doubt anyone else would think that. To me it just looks like gorgeously healthy hair in wurly clumps (seriously, and that shine! )
    Aw thank you for the compliments! That makes me feel much better

I think the layers underneath, from the occipital bone downwards, are at least 2b because they wave from the root in a zigzag. (Helpfully, I didn’t take a photo of that!)

I’m torn about the whirly bits though. I feel like they look like long loose 2a waves, but they form spirals, which are probably more obvious in real life than from a photo. The hair typing system on LHC doesn’t really allow for that, as has been discussed at length before!

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    @lady stardust : I feel 1c/2a still holds more 2a they look more like S waves than Whurls to me
    Thanks Yes I know what you mean, as I said above they do whirl, but they “read” more 2a.

I think it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the henna is all gone, I think the whirls will be more obvious, but I still think the LHC typing system doesn’t really accommodate long loose spirals

And speaking of spirals, your hair looks gorgeous in all of those photos! I’m looking forward to seeing your new style when you have it cut this week.

Length
    Bald/Buzz/TBL

You could use 2a/2b as a qualifier if you wanted also

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Lady! It’s lovely - such a delightful texture; the waves and wurls really drape beautifully. I would call it 2a/2b, I think. And I second Spoons’ sentiments re: shine!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    typing system doesn’t really accommodate long loose spirals

And speaking of spirals, your hair looks gorgeous in all of those photos! I’m looking forward to seeing your new style when you have it cut this week.
    Thank you! It's tomorrow. Yeah, long loose spirals I consider 3a but in so many charts they're labeled 2c. All I know is that if one of my fallen hairs-no matter the length-falls onto the wet counter, when the water has evaporated, the hair is a perfect circle. If that's not a curl, I don't know what is. I'm talking about the hairs that are actual curls; some are straight. As a typical curly I have a mix.

As far as the no product, no manipulation thing--manipulation does straighten hair so that's good, but product adds moisture which makes the hair do what it naturally wants to. To me that's a better picture of the true texture. So is taking the weight off the hair as it dries. Lack of moisture and gravity make curly hair do what it doesn't want to. The typing, in my opinion, is more accurate if you don't hinder it with those environmental factors. Wet a fallen hair and see what it does as it dries.

Quote Originally Posted by spirals View Post
    Thank you! It's tomorrow. Yeah, long loose spirals I consider 3a but in so many charts they're labeled 2c. All I know is that if one of my fallen hairs-no matter the length-falls onto the wet counter, when the water has evaporated, the hair is a perfect circle. If that's not a curl, I don't know what is. I'm talking about the hairs that are actual curls; some are straight. As a typical curly I have a mix.

As far as the no product, no manipulation thing--manipulation does straighten hair so that's good, but product adds moisture which makes the hair do what it naturally wants to. To me that's a better picture of the true texture. So is taking the weight off the hair as it dries. Lack of moisture and gravity make curly hair do what it doesn't want to. The typing, in my opinion, is more accurate if you don't hinder it with those environmental factors. Wet a fallen hair and see what it does as it dries.
    Ah that’s very interesting! My shed hair, when it’s wet, forms a long drawn out spiral, like a stretched out spring. The end might curl into a circle sometimes. If the whole hair curls into a circle, like yours, then yes that’s got to be a curl!

Thank you (again!) Bat and thanks baanoo! I like “drapey” It feels more like having snakes lying in my shoulder, I’ll try to think of a nicer analogy
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; September 20th, 2021 at 09:10 AM.

Length
    buzz/31/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Ok, I'm aware that my hair (brushing collarbone wavy, a couple of inches beyond it stretched) is probably not long enough to type accurately yet, but I happened to let it air dry for once this evening, and I would be most curious to know what type it appears to be at this stage! I had thought henna had straightened it out a bit, but maybe not! I did give it a couple of scrunches with a microfibre towel after washing it so it wouldn't be dripping down my back - I don't know if that's allowed? It is otherwise un-manipulated (and not bone dry yet, but I'm ever so sleepy, and wanted to post this now and go to bed!).

It's less textured at the back, but there are a couple of spirals at the front that I did a terrible job trying to document in my poorly lit bathroom.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019
    buzz -- mess -- chin -- SL [18.5"] -- APL [22"] -- APL+ [25.5"] -- MBL [27"] -- WL [29"] -- HL [32"] -- TBL [38"]

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would definitely stick 2c/3a on it... for now. I still think about APL is ideal for typing.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Bald/Buzz/TBL

Scrunching isn't allowed you can pat dry but that's really it

Length
    buzz/31/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would definitely stick 2c/3a on it... for now. I still think about APL is ideal for typing.
    Thanks so much, lapushka! I know my hair’s a bit on the short side for typing, but APL seemed like such an expanse away, and I was impatient! I’d be super happy if it stays this textured as it grows - I will check back in when it’s APL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Scrunching isn't allowed you can pat dry but that's really it
    Ah, ok. I did read the guide, which mentions detangling, but I didn’t see any mention of what towel action was allowed or not! Here’s the bit I mean:

Let your hair air dry with the least amount of detangling you can manage to do… Not all hair types can manage to dry totally untouched, still it's best to keep it to a minimum to avoid changing the results.
    Oh well, I’ll try again when it’s a bit longer. Thanks anyway!

Length
    Bald/Buzz/TBL

Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post
    Thanks so much, lapushka! I know my hair’s a bit on the short side for typing, but APL seemed like such an expanse away, and I was impatient! I’d be super happy if it stays this textured as it grows - I will check back in when it’s APL.

Ah, ok. I did read the guide, which mentions detangling, but I didn’t see any mention of what towel action was allowed or not! Here’s the bit I mean:

Oh well, I’ll try again when it’s a bit longer. Thanks anyway!
    You can detangle before you wash I believe