Page 86 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: The official hair typing thread

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hair typing help before haircut?

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyGinger View Post
    Thank you for the help! Also thanks to the mod who moved my post to the appropriate thread lol, much appreciated

Tomorrow was hair-washing day regardless so I'll probably do it today and do zero manipulation (I do wash upside down but i won't do any scrunching after), and I'll have my hubby help take pics of the back of my head. I rarely shampoo but I have a good sulfate and paraben free one, so I'm thinking I'll only shampoo as my hair gets weighed down very easily. As soon as it dries and I get those pics you can bet your life Im getting back in there to add condish ��

This forum has always been so helpful, I don't know how I woulda made it from ear to waist without you all!
    I wash "upside down" as well, hairtyping went OK for me. Just wash as normal, conditioner is optional (some do, others don't), and then no finger combing either, no touching it at all. You can wring it out, and put it into a towel, but then let it loose and do not touch until dry!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I wash "upside down" as well, hairtyping went OK for me. Just wash as normal, conditioner is optional (some do, others don't), and then no finger combing either, no touching it at all. You can wring it out, and put it into a towel, but then let it loose and do not touch until dry!
    Thank you for the advice! (You have gorgeous hair btw!) Here are new pics taken after a clarifying shampoo and nothing else. Without scrunching it looks much flatter, but honestly I think it's heat damage (and possibly the henna) that has made it straighter than it really is. Funny positioning of my arm as I was trying to angle it so that it didn't touch my shoulders lol. Photo of the back is at the end of the post.

But underneath the canopy is where the wurls come out, even without scrunching there were a good amount that did more than wave - little hard to tell in the pic but this is a spiraling curl, not an S-wave like most of my hair.

1-1.5 years ago for some reason I had a huge burst of new hair growth, my hairdresser was the one who questioned how I'd gotten so much new growth. Exclusively at my nape and under my ears. The new hair is a bit over shoulder length and is the curliest part of my hair. No clue why it happened but I ain't complaining lol.

Here's where I'm thinking I need to cut. Which I HATE to do as that is a lot of length. But it's so straggly and thin, as those inches are where all the years of coloring and heat damage are. What do you all think? And do you think layers would bring out more curl? I have fine hair btw, but a lot of it.

Last edited by DizzyGinger; November 28th, 2021 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Fixed photo size

MBL
    > Goal: Waist / Tailbone
    2b/fine/ii

Default Re: The official hair typing thread

I would think that’s 2c if it’s mainly S waves and some spirals. If there are lots of spirals then 2c/3a.

You have gorgeous hair! I wouldn’t base a hairtyping photo as a guideline for where you should cut, because the ends might clump together more when you style it and you might be happier with them.

If you do cut, a U shape or V shape will help you keep more length. You could maintain, or cut an inch or so and see how it looks and maintain after that?

I’m growing out henna and I sympathise, the difference in texture is really irritating and it’s such a slow process. My hair grows slowly and it’s taking forever. In some ways it could be better to cut back to a length you’re happy with (really happy with, not one you hate!) and speed up the process.

ETA: I just read your earlier post where you said you want to cut back to where it’s healthiest so you might not want to maintain! I still think it’s better to base that decision on styled hair.
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; November 28th, 2021 at 03:47 AM.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I would think that’s 2c if it’s mainly S waves and some spirals. If there are lots of spirals then 2c/3a.

You have gorgeous hair! I wouldn’t base a hairtyping photo as a guideline for where you should cut, because the ends might clump together more when you style it and you might be happier with them.

If you do cut, a U shape or V shape will help you keep more length. You could maintain, or cut an inch or so and see how it looks and maintain after that?

I’m growing out henna and I sympathise, the difference in texture is really irritating and it’s such a slow process. My hair grows slowly and it’s taking forever. In some ways it could be better to cut back to a length you’re happy with (really happy with, not one you hate!) and speed up the process.

ETA: I just read your earlier post where you said you want to cut back to where it’s healthiest so you might not want to maintain! I still think it’s better to base that decision on styled hair.
    Thank you for the advice! I might plan for two potential haircuts. One where I cut less, then another if I decide I'm ok going shorter. I'm not sure yet. I'm so nervous putting my hair in someone's hands after 6-7 years of hard work growing, with only a handful of trims in that time. Though maybe if I trimmed more I woulda got less spilit ends haha

I love love love the henna for myself. It's the only thing I've ever found that matches my natural color (it has faded over time hence the desire for more color) and it makes my hair feel great. But I know lots of people say it makes them lose curl. For me I'm ok making the trade-off between perfect color and more curl. But if you WERENT in that position, then I can totally imagine how frustrating that would be! Anywho, thanks again, and good luck with your growing out henna!

MBL
    > Goal: Waist / Tailbone
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would go with 2c as well. 2c has a couple ringlets in its definition. Clear as day, those are ringlets.

And thank you for the compliment. I think my signature picture might even be a hairtyping picture. If I scrunch and spruce it up some more it can definitely look a tad different, but I generally limit my scrunching (bar to put stylers in) to a minimum anyway.

Thank you for the advice! I might plan for two potential haircuts. One where I cut less, then another if I decide I'm ok going shorter. I'm not sure yet. I'm so nervous putting my hair in someone's hands after 6-7 years of hard work growing, with only a handful of trims in that time. Though maybe if I trimmed more I woulda got less spilit ends haha

I love love love the henna for myself. It's the only thing I've ever found that matches my natural color (it has faded over time hence the desire for more color) and it makes my hair feel great. But I know lots of people say it makes them lose curl. For me I'm ok making the trade-off between perfect color and more curl. But if you WERENT in that position, then I can totally imagine how frustrating that would be! Anywho, thanks again, and good luck with your growing out henna!
    Oh I see, sorry I thought you didn’t want henna anymore! I loved it for a long time but I’m getting more silvers now and wanted to see my natural colour before it goes! Henna by itself was lovely, but the difference in texture now that I’ve grown out a significant amount just bugs me

Have you thought about trimming yourself?

Length
    Bald/Ugly/BCL

If you do decide to cut a little I think a U cut will look great

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

DizzyGinger I'm not a hairtyping expert, just wanted to say I really like your hair, texture and color. A white backround can be especially harsh becuase it reveals every imperfection. I agree with Lady Stardust to base your decision on styled hair. No matter what you decide, I'm sure it's gonna look great. Is this hip length?

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thank you for the advice! (You have gorgeous hair btw!) Here are new pics taken after a clarifying shampoo and nothing else. Without scrunching it looks much flatter, but honestly I think it's heat damage (and possibly the henna) that has made it straighter than it really is. Funny positioning of my arm as I was trying to angle it so that it didn't touch my shoulders lol. Photo of the back is at the end of the post.

But underneath the canopy is where the wurls come out, even without scrunching there were a good amount that did more than wave - little hard to tell in the pic but this is a spiraling curl, not an S-wave like most of my hair.

1-1.5 years ago for some reason I had a huge burst of new hair growth, my hairdresser was the one who questioned how I'd gotten so much new growth. Exclusively at my nape and under my ears. The new hair is a bit over shoulder length and is the curliest part of my hair. No clue why it happened but I ain't complaining lol.

Here's where I'm thinking I need to cut. Which I HATE to do as that is a lot of length. But it's so straggly and thin, as those inches are where all the years of coloring and heat damage are. What do you all think? And do you think layers would bring out more curl? I have fine hair btw, but a lot of it.

I'm going with 2c/3a! I see a bunch of loose spirals and with more moisture on the regular I bet you're really 3a. I'm really having a ton of success with no sls, roo and loc to keep my ends moisturized. My scalp does not love no sls but my hair does.
    Current method: CW ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse daily to keep scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyp View Post
    I'm going with 2c/3a! I see a bunch of loose spirals and with more moisture on the regular I bet you're really 3a. I'm really having a ton of success with no sls, roo and loc to keep my ends moisturized. My scalp does not love no sls but my hair does.
    Point is, to type when hairtyping, not what it "could potentially be".