Page 78 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 LastLast

Thread: The official hair typing thread

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: The official hair typing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I am thinking of getting another one but I might cancel it, I can't even tell where the keratin ends and my normal hair begins since it was in February I guess the growth wouldn't be that noticeable

Maybe there needs to be a rule added that it needs to be fully virgin so no dye and no henna or a secondary topic for people with processed hair can be typed. Though thst might be too confusing
    Bat, seriously, you don't have to believe me, but the longer your hair gets the easier it will be to grow that out. It's the reason why I blow dried mine straight until about between shoulder to APL. It looks a mess growing out, I mean think of bedhead but not in a nice way. And it's far far easier to let that texture "go" when it's longer. I feel like your current length might be a good starting point for growing it out!

Don't be discouraged! We're here to help and support before you do stuff!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Term

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Bat, seriously, you don't have to believe me, but the longer your hair gets the easier it will be to grow that out. It's the reason why I blow dried mine straight until about between shoulder to APL. It looks a mess growing out, I mean think of bedhead but not in a nice way. And it's far far easier to let that texture "go" when it's longer. I feel like your current length might be a good starting point for growing it out!

Don't be discouraged! We're here to help and support before you do stuff!
    I have an asymmetrical bob thing now, not because of this but because of a cuticle sealer disaster but this is a good idea! I won't get the treatment then

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I have an asymmetrical bob thing now, not because of this but because of a cuticle sealer disaster but this is a good idea! I won't get the treatment then
    If you feel that's the way to go: go for it, we're right here if you need us. And trust me, there will be some funky/bad hair days, but you can always... always blow dry it straight. APL is like a sweet spot, was for me, for growing texture out. And it looks like it's coming along nicely.

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Term

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If you feel that's the way to go: go for it, we're right here if you need us. And trust me, there will be some funky/bad hair days, but you can always... always blow dry it straight. APL is like a sweet spot, was for me, for growing texture out. And it looks like it's coming along nicely.
    My longest side just is just shoulder now the rest is pixie ish so I didnt lose it all

Length
    Hip/CL+/Knee?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by illicitlizard View Post
    I think it could be a fun academic exercise to type chemically treated hair and see how it changes as old damage grows out. Much like typing hair that's <APL to see how the texture changes as it gets longer. But since most people are using their results from this thread to signify what hair type they have, it's not super useful to, for example, type a keratin treatment.
    I'm kind of doing that! I started out as 1c when I had fully bleached hair, then turned 1c/2a as I learned to take better care of it, and now it types as 2a, but my natural hair above APL is mostly loosely wurly, so it'll be fun to see what happens later.
    snjallr mar hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann vi vg varask;
    en elli gefr hnum engi fri, tt hnum geirar gefi.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I'm kind of doing that! I started out as 1c when I had fully bleached hair, then turned 1c/2a as I learned to take better care of it, and now it types as 2a, but my natural hair above APL is mostly loosely wurly, so it'll be fun to see what happens later.
    I'm as curious as you, well... almost.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post

It's less textured at the back, but there are a couple of spirals at the front that I did a terrible job trying to document in my poorly lit bathroom.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Ooh that's tricky - the roots are quite straight on the canopy (which on longer hair would be ignored, tbh), but the ends are definitely starting to curl, and then there's those big spirals. I'm torn because it doesn't read as curly from the back, yet, but it reminds me of hair we've typed in the past as 2b/2c but turning out to be properly 3a sometime later, so I'm 99% certain with more time and length it will definitely show more curls from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Ive decided to go for 2a/2b. Looking at the hair typing guide, my hair is definitely not 2a all over, and people in real life tend to describe it as having beachy waves, but also I dont think its quite consistent enough to go for 2b. My own feeling about 3D spirals is that I need to take the overall feel of how my hair reads rather than focus on how much it whirls because I think I belong in the lower/middle category of waves, even though they spin around

Im sure MusicalSpoons will understand the identity crisis Im having at moving into the 2s, having gone through the discovery of clandestine waves with me
    2a/2b sounds like a nice compromise (when I commented before I was very tired and got caught up in the details rather than the overall picture of how it 'read', oops.) It will be very interesting to see how it goes with even more length! And yeah, adjusting one's mindset from straight hair to wavy hair is quite the adventure

Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingCupcake View Post
    This is how I feel about my hair! And why I went with 2a/2b as well. My spirals, and waves are too lazy for anything more, in my opinion.
    Makes sense. It will be interesting to see what happens with length for your hair too
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

MusicalSpoons I dont think you misinterpreted, given the hair typing definitions, they only allow spirals in 2c (and 3s and 4s). I just think the other way to look at it is a = a bit wavy, b = moderately wavy and c = very wavy and sometimes curly.

You made my day with the compliments anyway

GrowlingCupcake
    its interesting that you came to the same conclusion. I look forward to seeing how your texture evolves!
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; September 23rd, 2021 at 05:01 PM.

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

It's been a while since I've posted any pictures. May as well toss one in here for fun!

This is after getting all of my hair sopping, dripping wet, 2-in-1-ing my scalp, roots, and top few inches, and otherwise just rinsing the suds down the length. Then gently folding/lumping it into a towel draped around my neck because soggy backs just are not fun. I flipped the towel around once to re-lump the hair in a drier section, and once it was enough to not drench me on contact, I let it hang undisturbed as best I could... But at that length, it's virtually impossible, and by the time I gave up and took this picture, it'd already been 4 or 5 hours and I was over it and needed to get it out of my way. I might have attempted to finger-detangle the right half by this point. Whenever it was that I tried that, I gave up quickly because even as not-wet as it felt, it was still too wet to behave. All the stringy, still-slightly-sebum-y clumps just wouldn't let go of their internal water. It felt dry, unless you squeezed those clumps, or tried to detangle.

For comparison, this was a few hours earlier, definitely before any (intentional) manipulation, but also that much wetter still. I'm rather disappointed at how thin and scraggly it looks! The ends aren't great, and are thinner than I'd like, but they're not as thin as all that!

I'm also interested to see how it's changed from a year and a bit ago. Looks like the texture was a bit tighter then,and absolutely the most I've ever seen in it, but much to my surprise, there was actually some veeeeery loose 3D spiraling happening this time, which I can't recall ever seeing in my hair before. I didn't even notice it this time until I looked at the picture, thought it looked strange, and looked specifically for it in my hair to confirm.

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowWings View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted any pictures. May as well toss one in here for fun!

This is after getting all of my hair sopping, dripping wet, 2-in-1-ing my scalp, roots, and top few inches, and otherwise just rinsing the suds down the length. Then gently folding/lumping it into a towel draped around my neck because soggy backs just are not fun. I flipped the towel around once to re-lump the hair in a drier section, and once it was enough to not drench me on contact, I let it hang undisturbed as best I could... But at that length, it's virtually impossible, and by the time I gave up and took this picture, it'd already been 4 or 5 hours and I was over it and needed to get it out of my way. I might have attempted to finger-detangle the right half by this point. Whenever it was that I tried that, I gave up quickly because even as not-wet as it felt, it was still too wet to behave. All the stringy, still-slightly-sebum-y clumps just wouldn't let go of their internal water. It felt dry, unless you squeezed those clumps, or tried to detangle.

For comparison, this was a few hours earlier, definitely before any (intentional) manipulation, but also that much wetter still. I'm rather disappointed at how thin and scraggly it looks! The ends aren't great, and are thinner than I'd like, but they're not as thin as all that!

I'm also interested to see how it's changed from a year and a bit ago. Looks like the texture was a bit tighter then,and absolutely the most I've ever seen in it, but much to my surprise, there was actually some veeeeery loose 3D spiraling happening this time, which I can't recall ever seeing in my hair before. I didn't even notice it this time until I looked at the picture, thought it looked strange, and looked specifically for it in my hair to confirm.
    I would (to be safe) pin 2a/b to it.