Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: The official hair typing thread

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The official hair typing thread

Thanks lapushka and purple_omelette. I can see where the possible leaning towards 2b comes in, especially in the 3rd pic, but it's hard to say as I wasn't able to ensure my ends were hanging free the whole time - which affects the typing of the bottom part, I think, but not so much the top because the top always dries like that and always *feels* that wavy to the touch as well.

I think I'll go with 2a and it actually feels rather nice to be firmly in a single category for once in my life
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    chin/bcl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Thanks lapushka and purple_omelette. I can see where the possible leaning towards 2b comes in, especially in the 3rd pic, but it's hard to say as I wasn't able to ensure my ends were hanging free the whole time - which affects the typing of the bottom part, I think, but not so much the top because the top always dries like that and always *feels* that wavy to the touch as well.

I think I'll go with 2a and it actually feels rather nice to be firmly in a single category for once in my life
    Spoons, itís so nice to see your hair again! I think your texture is 2A as well.
    artist, lover, general mystic; maker of many things

Hair typing photo, I might still have some traces of keratin treatment that I had done in February underlays might be more accurate

🦇 Full Moon Trim September 23rd 2021🦇
    Left: PIX|CL|SL|CBL|APL|MBL|Waist|Hip
    Right: PIX|CL|SL|CBL|APL|MBL|Waist|Hip

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Bat, I think typing is supposed to be done on virgin hair. Typing on a keratin treatment is kind of hard, since that is a straightening treatment. Just my 2€cts.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Bat, I think typing is supposed to be done on virgin hair. Typing on a keratin treatment is kind of hard, since that is a straightening treatment. Just my 2€cts.
    Agreed. There's not much point knowing what your chemically straightened hair would be, though I'm not sure O could pinpoint a type for the top layer - it defies the typing system because it's not a natural wave. The underneath looks like it wants to curl but as it's only such a small portion of your overall hair it doesn't necessarily reflect what your virgin hair would be. That shine though! :O

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Agreed. There's not much point knowing what your chemically straightened hair would be, though I'm not sure O could pinpoint a type for the top layer - it defies the typing system because it's not a natural wave. The underneath looks like it wants to curl but as it's only such a small portion of your overall hair it doesn't necessarily reflect what your virgin hair would be. That shine though! :O
    I think the way to go here is, let it grow out... then retype when ready. I know. Been there. Could not deal with my own texture and so got curly perms done, 2, one after the other, until my hair grew out from shoulder to hip and I could gradually get the damage out (cut back to BSL). Sometimes it's what we have to do to get some growth going.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I'll never grow my dye out though so virgin hair is impossible so you are saying everyone with dyed hair can't be typed

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I'll never grow my dye out though so virgin hair is impossible so you are saying everyone with dyed hair can't be typed
    Not the dye necessarily, but the keratin treatment does affect it.

Length
    BSL/BCL+/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yes and also usually there are different type of texture (especially in type 2-3-4) on the same head of hair, so it's the overall appearance that can give you a classification.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    Not the dye necessarily, but the keratin treatment does affect it.
    Agree. It's not the dye, but the keratin treatment that alterate your hair type in terms of waves/curls.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Not the dye, we both referred to the keratin treatment / chemical straightening. It's really hard to type an artificial texture because chemically straightened (or permed) texture won't behave like a natural texture, as far as I can gather. The typing system is far from perfect as it is and some natural textures confound it anyway, especially those with e.g. straight canopies and curly underneath.

I think the closest I could describe yours - as an attempt at description, not a suggested approximate typing - might be 1b/1c with bumps underneath? There's not the clumping to call it 1c, and the bumps are more pronounced than what I would call body wave, but they're also not separate waves like you'd expect from any type 2 … if this were your natural texture, I'd congratulate you on breaking the typing system