Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on why we have hair...

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Smile Article on why we have hair...

This was passed on to me by a former professor. I thought it would be quite appropriate to link here....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...-1c13hair.html
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Thank you for the link. I find it interesting how the evolutionary biologists all have different theories as to why we have hair...

I just wonder why the scent/pheramonal component of head hair isn't taken into account? I know that when I let my buns down my male friends comment on it-one's said that my hair smells more pheramonal than a woman in heat- there was a VERY strange conversation to get that comment out of him, but apparently the scent retention of head hair is very strong.

Possibly the scent retention and the health aspects are similar? The world may never know.

Although, if they DO figure out some sort of genetic knock out to make head hair grow faster, I will be the first in line for the second generation of the treatment, you'd better believe it!

I've seen all these theories before, and am still puzzled, as are these guys apparently.

The aquatic ape theory is very compelling, but there are still a lot of holes in it. Particularly, try to find other semi-aquatic species with long head hair! They may have subcutaneous fat like we do, and they may be 'naked' like us, i.e. with only vestigial body fur, but they don't have long manes. So, even if true, it doesn't explain the mane.

As for the reader comments under the article, I don't think I'll be relying on my hair to protect me from tigers any time soon!

Length
    15"/36"/35ish
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Thanks for the link! I do have to comment, like Alun, on the tiger theory from the reader. I've worked with Tigers, and there is no amount of hair that will stop one from killing you if it so pleases! Just another pro-aquatic ape theorist trying to push his ideas.

I'm not totally against the theory, but I'm not all for it either. I like Conroy's version of head hair being equivalent to runaway selection. Our long manes are some super-stimulus to attract mates!

Length
    13/hip/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Yeah, the theory that hair has been sexually selected makes the most sense to me.
    The aquatic ape theory makes sense for a lot of other things, but it sure doesn't explain the hair.
    Early humans probably just started to be attracted to other early humans with the best hair. Then they produced offspring with good hair genes. Then that kept happening. Heck, it still happens now.

It would sure explain a lot of the current attitude against older women with long hair. In the past when it was kept up all the time, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Now, though, since wearing hair down is common, there could be a bit of "hey, you don't need to attract a mate with good genes anymore - why do you need that all hair?" We kind of want to desexualize Grandma (and a 40 year old is old enough to have had children who have matured enough to have children themselves; regardless of the fact that many of us don't have children that early in life).

(Not to say I agree with these people. I plan on keeping my hair long as long as I want to.)

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I have my own weird theory, though it goes alone with the sexual aspect contained in the article. My personal opinion is that head hair is well, a turn on..... because before we lost body hair and were apelike, we probably groomed each other just as they do, and found it relaxing and calming.

As we lost other body hair, we kept this, to retain that grooming aspect. Just a theory mind you, but it seems everyone likes touching hair, even their own.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    16"/31"/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

I've also heard that we kept it around to keep our heads warm - because our brains are so huge, they need a lot of blood to function, and that results in a lot of heat loss from off the top of the head.

Interesting. I've read/heard similar things over the years.

Personally, I just like being called a "naked ape".

Naked, naked, naked . . . *runs amok, all chimp-like* . . . oo, oo, oo . . .

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

iiiiinteresting! i love evolution articles. Thinking about buying a darwin book ....
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

What - we're not a cross between apes and horses? I'm disappointed!