Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shedding

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Default shedding

Is the norm to lose about 100 hairs a day? Sometimes it looks like so much! Concerned, please help. Thanks LHC'ers
    ~Brenda Just want to get to APL right now!

Lady Firebrand of Warriors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: shedding

I'm sure I lose about that many per day on average. Hasn't made a difference to my overall thickness yet.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I think technically speaking it's normal, but when I got up in the low 100's I got really confused because I probably normally only shed around 50 or so hairs a day. Turns out I was super iron deficient. If this shedding rate started all of a sudden, it could be a seasonal shed (it seems a lot of people go through a major shed in the fall). If it started suddenly months ago and hasn't abated, or even gotten worse, you might want to have your doctor run some tests to check your thyroid, hormones, and iron levels.

Honestly though, your hair in your avatar pic looks really nice and thick so it's probably okay. I think average amount of hairs one loses per day is around 100.

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

It is normal, they probably look more because they are long hairs. I hardly shed anything at all, I shed normally pretty bad in September when I shed small furry animals, normally too I have noticed since being a member on here it follows by a growth spurt for 3 months and then slow growth and roughly 20 hairs if that! I still get 6" a year and although I am a seasonal shedder, i still probably loose near enough the same amount!
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/&#914/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

The normal amount is no more than 100. If you think you are shedding more than usual, try to count the hairs you are losing in one day... yes, one by one! It's the only way to be able to really assess what's going on...

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

It's normal, but since long hair curls around itself it may look longer that what may be really lost
    Lady SpiralSong of the Everwinding Tales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

The magical Forest In David Bowie's Tights
    Length
    TBL/BSL/APL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

It's normal. No worries.

Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Curly Girl Method!! Longest Length: Bum Length Current: BSL Goal: Shorter

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

For me, it is not easy to get a per day count. I don't manipulate my hair that much on a daily basis and it might be two or three days before I use a brush on my hair and remove the sheds. So my that time there are enough sheds to freak me out.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

My hair dresser and from what I've read is up to 120, though I've also read upto 150. I know right now a lot of us are going through seasonal shedding and personally I am going through stress related shed. I get myself worked up when I get near or over 100...even though I'm still in a normal range. I know its scary!
    Straightened hair...without a straightener!

Slowly growing back my hair from the dreaded post partum shed this year!

Length
    WL/hip/TB
    Type
    1a/C/ii

I think I lose around that many per day. I don't brush my hair a lot through the day, and leave it up on most days, so on days like that there isn't much hair loss (maybe more like 20-40), and on the days I wear it down, right after I washed, I get fewer sheds because I got rid of most of them in the shower.

But when I wash my hair (which is just once every 7 days) I think I lose well over 100. I estimate 100-200, but I'm too afraid and lazy to count. It always scares the bejeezus out of me, the hairball is so massive and I always come out of the shower on wash day thinking I need to make an appointment with a derm to see if there's anything wrong with me.

I've been measuring my thickness regularly though, and it has not gone down even a little bit. So I'm guessing it's normal...