Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I grow out this awful layer?

Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default How do I grow out this awful layer?

Underneath my APL layer of hair is a collarbone length one that I think got created by the breakage caused by ponytails. It's nasty and doesn't seem to want to grow at all because it's always being damaged when it falls out of buns when I sleep or just go about my daily business. It's a lot of hair (for me, at least), and I really don't want to have to have it for the rest of my life so how do I protect it? I just cut off the nasty fuzz that were the ends of it, so it's right above collarbone instead of right below and has no chance of making it into my nightly buns.

Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How do I grow out this awful layer?

i had such layer, well always had it...it's ponytail damage, and i get most tangles there...tangles from hell, sometimes necklace would pull out that hair etc etc..

some time ago i did get annoyed with it and just cut it to length of 1 inch or so...and now its past shoulders and i trim it often and it seems to be normal..

i think it's all the broken hairs of different length that caused it to tangle etc...

but when i cut it it really looked ridiculous..wasn't thin this section...
    LadyArasinya, Protector of the Forest Heart Stag in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Bob/21.5/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Maybe try french braids or something in order to protect it at night? I still have some front pieces of hair fall out of my night-french braid, but if you start at the very top of your head instead of the back, it might keep all those pieces in and protected. But someone else might have a better idea.

My Goals:

Shoulder-18"~APL-23"~BSL-29"~Waist-33"

Length
    Chin/48.5/54
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I have the same thing! I think mine may be regrowth of hairs since my post partum hormonal shed I had my first child though- that section of hair is about a foot long, but about a foot shorter than the rest of my hair. It is so annoying! I wish it was the same length as the other hairs on my head. :/
    MrsGuther

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

ughh i have this too so many broken short hairs in the back that don't fit in ponytails, but break in bobby pins and stuff

Length
    chin/BSL/WAIST
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I used to have that too and now, with a lot of caring, it's past shoulders. Treat it with castor oil to promote growth, pin it up with boby pins and be careful with high collars.

Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

French braiding might work. I think I'm going to at least try figure out how to braid from my neck to my bun...that makes the most sense to me (bobby pins can't be good for this layer, they seem so fragile).

Length
    1"/Chin/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

You could also try wearing a buff or a sleep cap at night, to avoid bunning. It sounds like bunning is the culprit.
    My new mini-goal: no bangs! Last trim: January 28, 2012 *Renegray*

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I think a silk or satin sleep bonnet would be a good solution, it gets all the protection without the braiding. Maybe those hairs just need some time away from all the mechanical damage for a while?
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PixxieStix View Post
    I think a silk or satin sleep bonnet would be a good solution, it gets all the protection without the braiding. Maybe those hairs just need some time away from all the mechanical damage for a while?
    This^

Also avoid ponytails at all costs and make sure your hair toys are hair safe (no elastic ties with metal holders!). These are some good articles to read: Keeping Split Ends At Bay: Secrets of Gently Handling Your Hair and Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating. Good luck!