Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Velcro-like" Hair

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default "Velcro-like" Hair

I need to complain about my hair texture and to hear that I'm not alone.

My hair does not lie smooth. It's not straight, not exactly wavy either = Stwavy. Hard to explain, it's attracted to itself. It gets stuck together, entwined, tangled and looks stringy.

I'm going to do more cassia treatments (I have a post on that thread about this) when it comes in. I've done a couple treatments and noticed a bit of an improvement. I figure if I can coat my strands so that the cuticle lays flatter and smoother maybe it will fix the velcro-like texture.

Who else has this issue? How do you feel? What has helped or not helped?
    http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7...alsiggyex2.jpg (Pic taken on Sept 12/06) Virgin hair.
    1st goal: BSL (as of Sept 13, 3" to go); 2nd goal: Waist Length

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I get the velcro feeling in my ends only, but when I use glucoside shampoo over a long time, my whole hair seems to stick together. I think it's a buildup. I don't know whether this would help you, but I do a SLS shampoo wash from time to time. This is enough to clean my hair thoroughly and it behaves nicely afterwards.

I'm afraid to damage my hair and avoid baking soda clarifying washes although I read that many people had good results with it.

This will help only if your hair's stickiness is a result of buildup.

If it is the result of chemical or mechanical abuse, you are probably already handling it as carefully as you can.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I've had my hair come to this exact texture and "clump" factor even with the gentlest handlings and good treatment. I eventually discovered that the gentle things i was using, and the moisture and oils i were adding, weren't getting completely washed away. Also, silicones tend to do that to my hair.

I use once a week V05 kiwi lime squeeze clarifying shampoo, and its all good and not clumpy/sticky together again.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

OldTimer Older than LHC Teacherbear's Avatar
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I sounds to me like your hair is more wavy, maybe even heading toward curly. How do you let your hair dry? If you let it air dry (without brushing/combing while it is drying), then perhaps the ends are velcro-y because you need to clarify. Dry, needle-like ends are my hint that it is time to clarify. If clarying doesn't work, then S&D (snipping off split and broken ends) does wonders for improving manageability.

Hope that helps.
    Hmm, what should this say? I'm thinking . . .

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Thanks for taking the time to write your suggestions.

I do let it air dry. I barely have any damaged ends, I do S&D frequently. I recently did a 1/2 inch trim. So maybe I need to clarify more often -- good point. I'll try that!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

When the word "velcro" comes up around here, "clarify then deep condition" typically follows. Your best bet is probably to either add some baking soda to your shampoo or condish, or to get a clarifying shampoo and suds it up clear to the ends. Follow with a moisture treatment like an SMT because your hair will typically be a bit dry following that.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Hi -

I have the same kind of hair. For me avoiding too much protein in a conditioner, and also using certain silicones just on the ends have really helped. Without cones I get bed-head afro hair, and tangling is crazy + forever rough dry ends, even with COing. I like some of the new light-weight serums better than coney conditioners (although the new pantene formulation is excellent which only has bis-aminopropyl dimethicone).

Loops

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    When the word "velcro" comes up around here, "clarify then deep condition" typically follows. Your best bet is probably to either add some baking soda to your shampoo or condish, or to get a clarifying shampoo and suds it up clear to the ends. Follow with a moisture treatment like an SMT because your hair will typically be a bit dry following that.
    Seconding this.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Something's wrong somewhere... You're all saying to clarify. But here is my story...

I've been no'cone for about two months now. The virgin hair (root to just below ears) is happy. The rest (ears down to BSL) is older and previously bleached. It is not so happy. I have these 'velcro' ends.

I originally clarified, and then went on to Lush's SLS free shampoos and 'cone-free conditioners. MY hair undoubtedly get's pretty stripped by the shampoo - as it feels, er, stripped and woody prior to the conditioner going on.

I've tried the coconut/olive oil leave-in method (applied to damp hair) but still there is a velcro quality to these ends...

I've trimmed several times in these last few weeks - and although the hair looks healthy and feels strong and fairly shiny - I still have these velcro ends...

I'm getting so fed up that I'm seriously wondering if I should go back to using 'cones for those ends, and just make sure to clarify every few shampoos!

By the way, I've also done SMT type treatments weekly.
    Last edited by Celebrian; March 26th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrian View Post
    Something's wrong somewhere... You're all saying to clarify. But here is my story...

I've been no'cone for about two months now. The virgin hair (root to just below ears) is happy. The rest (ears down to BSL) is older and previously bleached. It is not so happy. I have these 'velcro' ends.

I originally clarified, and then went on to Lush's SLS free shampoos and 'cone-free conditioners. MY hair undoubtedly get's pretty stripped by the shampoo - as it feels, er, stripped and woody prior to the conditioner going on.

I've tried the coconut/olive oil leave-in method (applied to damp hair) but still there is a velcro quality to these ends...

I've trimmed several times in these last few weeks - and although the hair looks healthy and feels strong and fairly shiny - I still have these velcro ends...

I'm getting so fed up that I'm seriously wondering if I should go back to using 'cones for those ends, and just make sure to clarify every few shampoos!

By the way, I've also done SMT type treatments weekly.
    when my hair was long and dyed i had the exact same thing, i wasnt too up on the cone/coneless thing then but i used dove conditioner in those days and my hair loved it, now im back to all virgin it prefers coneless. I agree cones may be your answer.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip