Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Velcro-like" Hair

Length
    10 in/14.5/27 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i

Hey Celebrian - you are a hair 'similar of mine.I have damaged ends, tho, where you mentioned you didnt. Here's a suggestion I didnt see yet -
    DITCH THE COCONUT OIL. Really, I had the same problem, posted here and got the same answers as you. BUT, I too dont overload my hair with product. Also dont use cones. So clarifying really did not help my dry/velcro ends - I did try. I cut out the coconut oil, cut out the grapeseed and shea butter. Viola - no more crunchy ends. I tried Camellia oil, and fell in love.

Also, Teacherbear made a good suggestion, maybe your hair really is curly. I've had to entertain that notion myself recently. And I noticed that when using a routing/treating my hair as at least 'partially curly', it really made a fair difference in the softness/texture of my hair. I hate to dis, but I cannot stand Coconut oil for hair. Skin, sure, but my hair turns brittle, velcro and superweighed down whenever I use it.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by alys; March 27th, 2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling and again
    'You are the master of the spoken word! Once it has left your tongue you are it's slave' -Krushchev - I've opted out of the friends program - please no requests -

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

With damaged ends I had no luck with oils either, but Fox's Shea Butter conditioning creme did wonders for me.

- 1 part conditioner
    - 1 part shea butter
    - 1/2 part oil (I use cocconut oil)

I melt the shea and cocconut together, then add conditioner and stir it as it cools. Makes something about the consistancy of frosting and is heaven for my old dye-damaged ends.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrian View Post
    Something's wrong somewhere... You're all saying to clarify. But here is my story...

I've been no'cone for about two months now. The virgin hair (root to just below ears) is happy. The rest (ears down to BSL) is older and previously bleached. It is not so happy. I have these 'velcro' ends.

I originally clarified, and then went on to Lush's SLS free shampoos and 'cone-free conditioners. MY hair undoubtedly get's pretty stripped by the shampoo - as it feels, er, stripped and woody prior to the conditioner going on.

I've tried the coconut/olive oil leave-in method (applied to damp hair) but still there is a velcro quality to these ends...

I've trimmed several times in these last few weeks - and although the hair looks healthy and feels strong and fairly shiny - I still have these velcro ends...

I'm getting so fed up that I'm seriously wondering if I should go back to using 'cones for those ends, and just make sure to clarify every few shampoos!

By the way, I've also done SMT type treatments weekly.
    You could try a light cone first I use to use the A cone in my leave in and I didnt get any build up I would just have to clarify maybe once a month if that often. It might not work but its worth a try if your hair is like mine it hates strong shampoo used regularly.

Length
    bsl/tlbne/tlbne

have you ever tried just using nothing? instead of oils or treatments and the like, just try a mild shampoo and leave it at that. i figured that all the junk i was putting on my hair was causing tangles, so went to shampoo only. it feels rough coming out of the shower, but detangles much easier and feels softer when it's dry. i don't worry about cones or no cones, i just make sure to use them every so often. dont use a harsh clarifying shampoo for this. i don't actually believe it's necessary as the gentle shampoos will break down cones just fine. i sometimes just use a shampoo with one cone, or a 2 in 1. it's worth a shot!

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Okay now i see what you are saying.

I have the same type of hair, virgin about four inches worth which feels wonderful, then the old chemical damaged/beaten length, which is like 6-7 inches now (dont quote me on length i'm shoulder length). The length itself often feels way different, even after conditioning in the shower, the virgin (but hennad) smooth and lovely, the ends still tangly.

Without extra care, the ends to seem to velcro/stick together, and loose their body.

I cant tell you one specific thing that works, just that my routine works for me, and seemed to have gotten rid of it (though occassionally for no reason the velcro will return).

Queen helene mint julep shampoo which i add a drop of carrot oil into, and V05 Vitaburst conditioner. Clarify once a week with V05 kiwi lime shampoo. I oil my ends with carrot oil 2-3 times a week at night, leave it in all night. If my hair feels "dry" while its drying, i use AtOne with nature leave in on the ends, thats it.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    I need to complain about my hair texture and to hear that I'm not alone.

My hair does not lie smooth. It's not straight, not exactly wavy either = Stwavy. Hard to explain, it's attracted to itself. It gets stuck together, entwined, tangled and looks stringy.
    Haha, this is so funny. I just read this thread for the very first time and your description fits totally with my hair. I was surprised that we have the same hair type.

My hair is like that because itīs porous due to combing or something. Oiling didnīt help with that, neither shampoo bars or organic hair care (though they have other good properties). Iīm trying silicones right now and am about to do more moisture treatments.