Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I just chop it? [PIC HEAVY]

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Should I just chop it? [PIC HEAVY]

When I joined in May, I asked if I should chop my WL hair. Most said yes-- to anywhere from APL to just a couple of inches. I decided to trim an inch or so, stop cones, and everyone agreed that it looked MUCH better. Well, since then, I've gone to CO washing, and my hair does look better than it has in years... but it still has a lot of taper. I've been maintaining at WL since I joined, and my hemline doesn't seem to be getting any thicker. See for yourself:

Upon joining LHC:

After that first trim:

One month later... looking worse...:

I missed a photo in July, so here's August, two months later:

Not only is there a lot of taper, but it's lop-sided.

I accidentally skipped another monthly photo, so here's two months after the last one. At this point, I began using shampoo weekly because I had a huge shed all summer, and shampoo stopped that:

It still looks bad... I'm trimming it about 1/2 inch monthly (my entire monthly growth), but there's still so much taper. It doesn't look quite so bad when I wear black, though. Here's an image taken that same morning:

But I'm at a loss. Unless I'm wearing black, which I don't do often, I feel humiliated to have my hair down, even if I'm the only one around. Would you chop it? If so, how much? Do I really have an alternative? And do you actually see much of a difference in my hair over the months? I don't... it seems like the same hairs are growing every month, and they're getting trimmed, but the rest are staying the same length. I need advice! Thank you all in advance for being so helpful.

Also, please don't be afraid to hurt my feelings... I would rather hear the truth from my LHC friends than walk around with embarrassing taper, having everyone think of how badly my hair needs a cut.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Should I just chop it? [PIC HEAVY]

Personally I think the thickness is moving down your length. It looks better and better each month.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

It does look like it is getting better. Do you have a recent picture without the black?

The one before that did look noticably better. I am kind of wondering if there is any chance you have an underlying medical condition though. Has that been ruled out?

It is kind of hard to tell looking at the most recent photo if it needs to be cut. From the one before that though, I would go for maybe 2-3" off personally.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    waist/TB/long

If it were me, I would cut back to BSL. It looks as though most of your hair stops there, so that would give you much nicer and thicker ends. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I'm pretty new here and I don't know what your hair routine was like before you joined but maybe it has something to do with damage from hair higher up growing out and breaking off? If that makes any sense. Anyway, I don't think it looks that bad, but if you don't feel confident wearing your hair down and you think you would feel better after trimming it you should go for it. Maybe start with a little trim and see how it goes?

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Have you been co washing all summer? For me stretching washes, coing and oiling my scalp cause massive amounts if shedding. I'm healthy, no need for blood work because when I go back to my normal everyother day washes no oil or anything, my shed is below normal. I think it does look like your is getting better! Like you I am thjnking of chopping some to thicken up my hemline from the shed I've had. Between severe emotional and post partum, its been a hecktic year. I envy you for being at waist

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I would go back to a little below bsl. In the second to last image, if you look at the longest lock on the right, I would cut to where that last wave at the bottom is the farthest to the right, if that makes sense. But I choose hem over length generally, for what that is worth.

Edited to add - your thickness does seem to be slowly growing down.
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I see improvement, too. I think it looks fine, but I like the look of fairytale ends.

Whether or not to cut it more drastically depends on your own opinion about fairytale ends, and on your hair goal. If you want it waist-length or longer, I recommend continuing to maintain at waist. It will gradually thicken. If you cut shorter, it will taper again as it grows longer.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Seems like it's thinkening up, but veeery slowly.
    I'd probably cut it back to Midback if you feel that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    If it were me, I would cut back to BSL. It looks as though most of your hair stops there, so that would give you much nicer and thicker ends. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    I agree. Personally BSL is long to me but it may feel uncomfortably short to someone else. However, the thickness is definitely traveling down your length. You could probably cut 1 or 2 inches and maintain every month also.