View Poll Results: How do curls make your hair look?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thinner

9 8.82%
  • Thicker

89 87.25%
  • Same thickness as when it's straight/wavy

4 3.92%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curls make thin hair look thinner?

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Curls make thin hair look thinner?

I bought a Caruso steam rolling set, thinking that maybe, if my hair was curly, it might appear a bit thicker. I know I'm still getting the hang of using curlers, but my hair looks so much thinner when it's curled-- like, you can see through it to the wall behind me in a lot of spots. Does curly hair do this to others? Or am I just doing it wrong? I DON'T have a lot of hair, and what I do have is fine hair... so even when there's a lot of volume going on, you can see through parts of it. (Especially shoulder and below... I have a lot of taper that I'm hesitant to remove... it's hard to see in my sig pic cuz I try to post only the most flattering shots. ) So... what do you guys think? Curls make hair look THINNER or THICKER?

Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Curls make thin hair look thinner?

In general I think my hair looks much thicker when it's curled or at it's natural wavy/curly. Also, in sort of a reverse to what the poll is asking the few times I completely straightened my hair stick straight it look suuuuuper thin. I definitely think curls give my hair more volume and thus it looks like I have more of it.

Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Hmmm... maybe I'm just making really bad curls. :P My hair does look thicker when it's slightly wavy, which is its natural pattern... but lately it's been drying really straight for some reason. So I thought that maybe curls would fix it. I'll keep experimenting, though.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Mine looks thinner when I have pronounced bun curls. With curls it separates so you can see my shirt through it, which I find incredibly annoying. But I've never tried to properly curl it, maybe with proper curls at different heights in the hair it would be a different story.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Did you layer curls on top of each other? I think that definitely helps make it less see-through. (Make sure you are putting lots of rollers on top of each other from the top of your head down to your nape.)

as for my hair ... it's on the fence between wavy and curly ... it definitely has the most volume and is the least "see-through" when it's wavy and brushed. Styling it curly just makes everything a little more compact. I can see through my curls here and there even though my hair is too short to have any significant taper.

Type
    3a/F/ii

I have naturally curly hair and I find it looks thicker due to the volume. When I used to straighten my hair it was truly looking thin.

In the midway of this our mortal life, I found me in a gloomy wood, astray.

My hair is fairly thin, yet being naturally curly/wavy it definitely looks thicker when I let it be. If I straighten it with my hands/fingers while it dries (I don't use a blowdryer or straightener, ever) it always looks thin.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I think curls make it look thicker, especially if you have blunt hemline.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4250&attachmentid=1969

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Try making smaller diameter curls?

If all your hair is in a few curls, it'll look thin and you'll see scalp. You want the curls to be small enough that they can layer on top of each other.

(The granny perm effect...but not quite so far!)

Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    Did you layer curls on top of each other? I think that definitely helps make it less see-through. (Make sure you are putting lots of rollers on top of each other from the top of your head down to your nape.)

as for my hair ... it's on the fence between wavy and curly ... it definitely has the most volume and is the least "see-through" when it's wavy and brushed. Styling it curly just makes everything a little more compact. I can see through my curls here and there even though my hair is too short to have any significant taper.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    Try making smaller diameter curls?

If all your hair is in a few curls, it'll look thin and you'll see scalp. You want the curls to be small enough that they can layer on top of each other.

(The granny perm effect...but not quite so far!)
    Thanks for the tips!!! I'm definitely a styling newbie, so any help is appreciated. These tips that probably seem obvious to everyone else are really helpful to me. Will try doing lots from scalp to nape next time, and will also try some of my smaller rollers. I used the jumbo size Thursday and those basically left my hair how it naturally is-- slightly wavy. Tried the large size yesterday and it made it somewhat curly (maybe more like less-stretched waves) but I didn't like it. I'll try medium mixed with large next time-- I've got only 6 medium rollers and 12 large. Any ideas on how to mix them? Should I use medium from scalp to nape, and large on the sides? Vice versa? Hmmm I think I'll do a "how to curl with sponge rollers" search.