Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here tried the ombre trend?

Length
    14"/21"/28"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Has anyone here tried the ombre trend?

Once my hair reaches APL I was thinking of getting this done, as a reward:

http://www.boxno216.com/2011/09/bian...and-after.html

The problem is I don't really know what the pros and cons are....I like that it seems to require no upkeep and only damages the lower bits....but I don't know what hidden cons there may be, or perks I haven't thought of. I'd love to hear from someone who's traveled down this path before I take the plunge.

I'm also wondering if it would still look fab were it not styled to perfection....because let's be honest, I'm not going to be curling it daily.

Anyone care to discuss?

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Has anyone here tried the ombre trend?

The ombre look is for sure a personal preference. Some think it looks like you were too poor to do your roots. I personally love it and am growing mine out naturally to look like this. I think the upkeep would be pretty darn easy because really you don't have to do anything once you have the lighter streaks on the bottom but just grow.
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    12/24.5/33
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

So...people are paying to have their hair colored to look like they have massive root growth?

Wow. I didn't know I was so stylish. >.> <.<

Personally, I think it looks trashy, but I can see why someone would find it appealing. It's definitely an interesting effect. That said, I think without the waves/curls the color change is going to look more like a bad dye job and less like beach hair.

Like this. Or a lot of these.

If it's something you like I say go for it -- if you have a good hairdresser s/he can make the transition gradual enough to look good while your hair is straight (like this). Just make sure you're very clear about what you want.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I actually quite like it and as Rocket said the upkeep is easy, you do nothing!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    16"/21"/Thigh
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Some peoples' hair naturally does this as it gets longer. (obviously doesn't look that "done", but with the ends and face framing bits lighter than the roots.) My hair is a light brown, and it bleaches very easily in the sun, so this is sort of the look I get when I grow my hair out. What is your natural hair color? Think a lot about it before you bleach, it causes damage and you'll really have to baby your hair afterwards.

Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I really like the ombre hair look and Drew Barrymore just absolutely rocked it. I don't think it looks like old roots grown out if there's no hard line of demarcation. It just gives the color a lot of depth.
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm not a fan of it myself, but I do like that the trend makes it more socially acceptable to be growing out your natural colour (because while social acceptance isn't everything, and some people are strong enough just to say 'it's my hair, I'll do what I want with it', it certainly makes it easier). It does seem like a strange thing to have done to your hair deliberately, but each to their own.

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

It is kind of just like an artificial imitation of sun bleached ends right? There are a few members on here who has that naturally (light brown hair turning blond) so no runs to the salon for them! I think the look is really nice, if done subtly. I think Drew Barrymore's is a bit too much, but the link buttercupmcgee showed us was really nice. It wasn't that obvious.

Besides, I thought if you don't tend to your roots after a dye job you would just see a straight line where the dye ends and your natural hair starts? NOT the same as ombre hair which is supposed to have some amount of fade back into the natural hair.

ETA: Also an extra thought. Can we achieve this look with lemon juice? I know lemon juice is used to lighten hair, what if we strategically applied this to the ends of our hair?
    Last edited by Juneii; October 14th, 2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: extra thought
    Almost there!

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

"Re: Has anyone here tried the ombre trend?"

Why yes! There are a bunch of us over on the 'growing out dye' thread doing this

Length
    14"/21"/28"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thanks for the response, all!

artemisjade, that is my worst fear....that it would somehow look trashy if I didn't style it! The look I'm going for is MUCH subtler than Drew's (subtler even than the link I posted.) So I'm hoping that might help.

andrea 1982, my natural color is a medium chocolate brown/light brown in some pics, so I'm thinking of making some of the ends more of a dark honey blonde, nothing too bleached.

juneii, I'd thought of the lemonjuice idea! Too bad there's little sun here now...off to google though!

msbubbles, thanks for the tip! will check it out.