Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a real "frump" moment - gah!

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Had a real "frump" moment - gah!

Mostly I love my long hair but every so often I have a real frump moment and it's often when I'm out shopping.

I took my almost 13 year old daughter out to get some new clothes and there is nothing like walking around crowded clothing stores with really loud music filled with teens to make any mother feel like a frump.

I caught my reflection a couple of times and really saw my age (which is still young relatively speaking but...). I looked at all the other mothers with their teens and most had shorter styled, layered, more trendy styles. I wonder if they felt like I did - I really wanted to ask but didn't dare.

I felt like a purse-shaped frump with long hair trailing my daughter. Of course it only lasted as long as the shopping trip did, although I ended up throwing it into a bun because I felt self-conscious. Silly, I know. My daughter seemed happy enough to be shopping with me so it wasn't her interpretation of the event - just mine.

On the contrary, I had the opposite experience at the Louvre just recently. The constant theme in many paintings was long luscious hair, often with my hair colour. I felt so proud to be just past waist and a strawberry blonde.

Odd how this happens. I guess it has alot to do with mood.

Length
    ASL/27 in/HipL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Had a real "frump" moment - gah!

yeah !! I have frumpy moments but my DD is 18 and my son's GF is 19 and when I catch myself in the mirrors of those teen dress stores, I can't help but think I'm "old" but these 2 are really good - they think I'm so cool at 47 :-) makes me feel better .. and in my shopping mall that we frequent often there are so many long hairs around my age .. so yeah I think we all feel it, the trick is not to show it ..

Renegray also a member of the Micro-trim club

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I don't think it has anything to do with long hair. Maybe other moms dressed more stylish or they had better makeup on than you, both has a bigger impact on how a woman looks. Think of all the stars who wear waist-TB length extensions (Kim K., Miley Cyrus, etc.)

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

No no no! You've got it backwards! Soccer mom haircuts are frumpy. Long hair is the antithesis of a soccer mom haircut . . .ergo, not frumpy (^(oo)^)v

My own mom looks so much younger and more chic with her current APL hair! It seriously took at least a decade off, compared to the old short "practical mom" haircut she had when I was in high school.
    Last edited by luxepiggy; October 16th, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

warm weather enthusiast mrs_coffee's Avatar
    Length
    PIXIE/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I've had short hair for most of my life and I promise you it has more to do with your mood and how you're feeling in general than it does the length of your hair. I have a layered shoulder length cut right now and it's cute, but I still feel like I look old some days and great other days. It just depends.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Well my outfit was fine but I think i wasn't wearing make up so that probably had alot to do with it. Plus having just got off a plane from a 24 hour flight three days ago there are definitely some dark circles going on under the eyes.

But seriously, I had a half up in a cute clip, but I really do think that it was my hair... and my mood.... and the fact that I had no make up...... am 20kg heavier than when I was a teen......and........my mood.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm in my early twenties and I feel like that in those shops. I think it's just the confrontation en mass with a value system that thinks that artificiality, anorexia, youth, and transience is the epitome of beauty...

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

We went into the store next door and the sales girl (who looked in her early 20's) said she went in there to ask for a black top and was waved over in the general direction. So she asked if he could show her where they were exactly and he said "well we do have some but they are a bit young..." She said she had never been so insulted. She asked him "well how old do you think I am?" and walked out. So I'm not alone.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I think we all have these frump moments. I'm in my early 20s, and in shops I often find myself comparing my appearance with other women (of all ages) both favorably and unfavorably. I sometimes find myself admiring the short, bouncy hairstyles (which I've had before and have to constantly remind myself how much I HATED) and heat-styled longer looks. Then I touch my hair and think about how much healthier and softer it is than when my hair looked like theirs.

Anyway, I definitely sympathize. Some days you just have to take a deep breath and:

Length
    8in/bsl/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Ok I think it was just the atmosphere and not you at all. First of all I have never looked at your age and just from your sig pic,I assumed you were younger Second of all,I am a 24 year old mom and while I could shop in the those stores,the last time I went into a ''teen'' store (Wet Seal,I think) I felt like such a wet blanket! The ''music'' made me want to strangle someone and clothes,yick! So it's not just you!
    Trimming Convert~ Waiting to have Classic length,raven tresses....