Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we trust store-bought products more than our own concoctions?

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Why do we trust store-bought products more than our own concoctions?

I have created a hair and scalp oil for myself that I like alot and it's working for me. BUT I find myself looking for hair oils to moisturize and/or stimulate hair growth online and in every store I go in. What is up with that? Does anyone else feel compelled to buy something that was prepared by scientists, marketing VPs, chemists and whoever else instead of trusting ourselves? Does paying $12 an ounce make the oil better than mixing some oils and EO that we have in our kitchens?
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Why do we trust store-bought products more than our own concoctions?

I'm the same, I was in my local drug store the other day and was nosying through the hair care isles and saw a whole load of products that claimed to repair split ends, (I think it was Pantene or Treseme) I was so tempted into buying the whole lot! Until I came back to my senses, thought of LHC and remembered nothing can repair split ends
    Currently growing out dyed hair, and then it's on to waist
    Last dye - 10th December 2013, will cut at 5 inches of roots
    1 - 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 5

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Default Re: Why do we trust store-bought products more than our own concoctions?

People assume that companies which specialize in haircare would have research and development teams to create products more sophisticated or effective than what you could at home. Of course you have to balance that assumption with the fact that these companies are businesses meant to make money, not necessarily to provide a service.

Length
    ~13"/14"/27,5"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by swearnsue View Post
    I have created a hair and scalp oil for myself that I like alot and it's working for me.
    Could you share your recipe? I still struggle with oils in search of my perfect mix.

Does anyone else feel compelled to buy something that was prepared by scientists, marketing VPs, chemists and whoever else instead of trusting ourselves?
    Yup. And I don't really know why, since I read a lot about the nasty stuff they put in those things. I always assume that the scientists MUST know better than I do, since they study these things thoroughly. I am also kinda gullible and believe they really want to help my hair, when obviously all they want is my money.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Nope. I know mine is better if I look at the ingredients!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Saying "we" trust store-bought products more than self-made is a broad generalization that probably isn't justified in this community. There is no shortage of kitchen chemists here.

Speaking strictly for myself, in general, I'd rather buy something than make it because I'm just not that interested in experimenting. I'd rather identify what I need and go get it rather than try to formulate it myself.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've tried kitchen witching and making my own products and 99.9% of the time my concoctions are dismal failures. THAT's why I trust store bought products whether it's my tried and true favorites or something new.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    16/28/37
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I am addicted to trying new hair things, but you're right. I dunno why I don't make these things myself. I love to make things and I hate having to trust some thing when it comes to things I'm putting on my body.

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I would love to make my own hair care items. However, even after a year, I'm not sure what my hair likes, and it's easier for me to go try something pre-made than to do even more work to try it out and if it doesn't work, go back to the drawing board.
    Breathe Deep, Seek Peace

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Well I do know that my friend told me after finding that I made a skin oil from ghee and essential oil - that she would never use 'food items' on her hair or skin because she was afraid it would attract bugs...
    rats spelled backwards spells star