Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people always assume long hair is extensions?!

Default why do people always assume long hair is extensions?!

Yesterday I was out and this girl that I see occasionally remarked very loudly in front of a lot of people we mutually know, "Oh wow I love your new hair extensions they look awesome!" She reached out and grabbed my hair. I was startled and replied, "It's all my hair, I don't have extensions in." Then she looked disappointed and full of disbelief and proceeded to reach in at the hair towards the nape of my head and give a few tugs saying how I was lying. I think she did this to make me look stupid in front of people too. It was about almost BSL back in June and is now MBL (reasonable, right?) but I guess it's because I've been wearing it up more? Anyhow that is incredibly rude. I just wanted to vent.

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Default Re: why do people always assume long hair is extensions?!

I would be way more offended that someone reached out and grabbed my hair. Talk about needing to respect personal space.
    Every day is Thursday.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

I've been asked if I have extensions, and quite frankly, it seems kind of rude to ask, and makes me feel offended. Especially if you work hard at keeping your hair healthy and long. I have never been in the kind of situation you went through but I probably would have reacted the same way. People these days seem to think the only way to have long hair is to have extensions, and a lot of people do have extensions, so that's why they assume. I can usually tell who has extensions or not (because most of them look unnatural and uneven), but I always assume that someone with long, pretty hair doesn't have extensions.

Length
    ??/38/42
    Type
    1b/C/iii

wow, how rude!

i never assume it's extensions because i don't know people who wear them.

Length
    chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

That is very rude. I would have said "Jealous, huh?" if she had pulled on my hair. Would have shut her up.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Oh, that just makes me cringe! That just seems so rude and tactless, like walking up to someone and commenting on their nice boob job, great fake tan, etc. You just do not say things like that in public, UGH! I agree, she was probably jealous. ^.^

Length
    17.5"/BSL/BCL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Yes that's rude! I had a friend who did that to me years ago when I was growing out my hair for my wedding and I was really offended

This time around, I only got asked by a friend's aunt and I was ok with it because she was polite about it and was genuinely shocked to see how long my hair has become (I hardly see her and when I do, my hair is usually up).

Length
    15/25/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I have never assumed that people with long hair didn't grow it naturally, unless it seemed obvious (pixie crop with long bottom layer...busted!), but even then I wouldn't have commented on it. It seems that some people in this world think that long hair can ONLY be achieved by extentions, after all, that's what we see all the time in the media. Very few people seem to be dedicated to growing their hair out nice and naturally instead of cheating by using extentions. Which is why we all hang out on the LHC

Length
    27/33/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

That's so rude! I used to have a friend who would do that type of thing. Once, she wouldn't believe I didn't have fake nails, and she grabbed my hand and try to pull them off. Yikes!

If someone reached into my hair and pulled on it to see if I had extensions, they'd probably get punched.
    Jenna

Recently cut from 50" to 32". Happily growing again.

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

A lot of people don't have the patience to grow and this is the I want it now generation[extensions].Combine that with dyeing,flatironing and other assorted common place hair damagers prevalent today and some have damaged their hair so much it won't grow long,just breaks off.No wonder most people have difficulty realizing people can actually grow very long hair.When I go out, I rarely see waist length and never see longer hair than that where I live.