Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling without looking oily

Default Oiling without looking oily

Any tips on how to use coconut oil on ends without it looking oily ? I mean can you mix it with a little water or maybe spray on instead of using your hands ?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Oiling without looking oily

I do my oiling an hour to a day before washing.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jhill923 View Post
    Any tips on how to use coconut oil on ends without it looking oily ? I mean can you mix it with a little water or maybe spray on instead of using your hands ?
    Take a very small amount (pea size or less) and rub it on your palms, then apply palms to the last 2 inches of your ends. You can do it every day if you wish.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Take a very small amount (pea size or less) and rub it on your palms, then apply palms to the last 2 inches of your ends. You can do it every day if you wish.
    This is what I do as well. You just have to be careful not to use too much oil, that's all.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Coconut oil's tricky - when I do a light oiling with it, I typically use about a quarter of a pea-sized amount, rubbed between my hands, so they just have the slightest sheen. Any more than that and it over does it. Coconut's such a heavy oil, so I normally save it just for pre-wash oilings anyway. For light oilings I use camellia or NightBlooming's Triple Moon blend.

Length
    butt/BSL/butt

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    Coconut oil's tricky - when I do a light oiling with it, I typically use about a quarter of a pea-sized amount, rubbed between my hands, so they just have the slightest sheen. Any more than that and it over does it. Coconut's such a heavy oil, so I normally save it just for pre-wash oilings anyway. For light oilings I use camellia or NightBlooming's Triple Moon blend.
    Thanks for the tip, Pepperminttea!

I haven't quite gotten the hang coconut oil yet. It seems to be very heavy on my hair. I'll try the pre-wash oiling and see if that makes a difference! Also, I notice that many of you just put in on your ends (not all over your hair). Guess I missed that detail

I do as peppermint tea does if it's not just before CO washing day. I put just about a drop of coconut oil on my hands and rub hands together and then spread over just the last few inches. My ends tend to dry out so like Madora I've been known to repeat this daily although I have to do only a drop at a time. Makes my ends get oily at about the same rate as the root side.
    I'm much more liberal with the coconut oil if I'm going to CO wash it soon as for me, CO washing gets all the excess out.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I get just enough to make my hands shiny and run it through, concentrating on ends, and letting the remainder on the rest of the length. I may use more as my hair grows but I use this amount every night as a leave in and it doesn't seem to make my hair get oily-looking.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Good question, I've never been able to oil without my hair looking, well, oily! So ...like spidermom said, I only oil a couple of hours before washing. It does wash out pretty easily and looks shiny when it's clean!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

If you're still having trouble with coconut after all these lovely ladies' tips, you might be like me and just have hair that can't handle coconut during the day.
    I've switched to jojoba for daily use and coconut only for deep conditioning prior to washing. It's made an absolute world of difference for my hair