Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have never, ever found a split end!

Length
    16/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default I have never, ever found a split end!

Seriously, I have not! I'm really wondering why this is. I have very fine hair, so I'd assume I should get splits pretty easily. I don't pamper my hair at all, really. I still cheat and use a plastic brush once in a while, I tie my hair in a tight ponytail almost every day, towel dry pretty roughly and I use metal hair clips. However, I've just never once seen a split. I check pretty often, holding my ends up against a bright light, but I don't see any! Am I just...missing them? I remember always wondering this even before LHC, when girls in high school would complain about their split ends..
    I don't use a cone conditioner either, so I don't feel like my splits are hidden or anything. Also, I was curious, so last time I saw a stylist I asked her if I had any splits. She said no and that most people don't get a lot of splits unless they straighten their hair daily. Is this true?
    Anyways, if I am missing my splits, please tell me how to remedy this! I'm worried I just can't see them and I'll never do a proper S&D. On that note, do you find that you get splits often? How often would you say you S&D?

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: I have never, ever found a split end!

Same way. I assume that there has at least be one split end somewhere up in this hair but it must be somewhere I can't see because I can't recall ever seeing split ends. I have some halo hairs but I can't ever remember seeing one that was splitting in two.

I also got confused when people referred to needing a trim for split ends. I've also had stylists comment on the strength and resiliency of my hair (this is when I was BSL), especially after explaining what I used to do it! I've had dry ends but not split ends.
    Last edited by Mairéad; October 4th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

tangle teezer evangelist freckles's Avatar
    Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Some possible explanations:

- maybe you just have resilient hair, which can occur regardless of strand thickness. Super hair! I'm extremely jealous
    - possibly you just have hair that doesn't split as it breaks -- any damage comes off 'clean' so to speak without leaving split ends behind.
    - if your current stats are correct, you just may not have long enough (old enough) hair for it to have begun splitting, yet.

I always always always have splits and I'm fairly careful with my hair (although I haven't always been -- my pre-LHC hair has suffered from a lack of conditioner and rough brushing). A lot of it is just the luck of the genetic draw
    don't know whether your hair is brown or red? us neither!
    hit my length goal of tailbone ... now learning to maintain and aiming to reduce split ends!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Well, gee whiz; brag about it, why don'cha!

I'm seriously envious because no matter how careful I am, I gets lots and LOts and LOTS of split ends, really ugly ones. Sometimes the split ends of my split ends are split!

Length
    16/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Well, my hair was much longer in high school. Somewhere between BSL and waist. However, I still don't think I ever saw splits. I wasn't looking too hard either. I did have frizzy hair though, so I assumed I did have splits.. I just never actually saw them.

Length
    16/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Well, gee whiz; brag about it, why don'cha!

I'm seriously envious because no matter how careful I am, I gets lots and LOts and LOTS of split ends, really ugly ones. Sometimes the split ends of my split ends are split!
    Ha, well, if it makes you feel any better I shed like a cat if I do anything to my hair! So it isn't strong in that way. I have to worry about my hair thinning all of the time!

Another thing that always confused me about splits is..how does one hair strand split into two? It doesn't make sense to me.. It's like..an atom splitting or something! So strange! And then wouldn't that just mean your hair is multiplying? ;p ( Kidding on the last sentence, haha~ )

Length
    27/33/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

I don't get that many splits either, but just because an end isn't actually splitting in two doesn't mean it's healthy. Sometimes the end will be really, really thick, or bent or very thin.

There is a funny article on here somewhere talking about all the different kinds but I can't find it.
    Curious to know about Islam? Let me know!
    :shoulder::brastrap::midback::waist::hip::bcl::tailbone::classic:: thigh!

Length
    ??/38/42
    Type
    1b/C/iii

it's true, most people don't have splits if they don't straighten every day or color. i see your hair is still short... when i had virgin hair, i didn't start seeing splits until after it grew past waist since it's older hair... actually, it may be because my hair kept getting stuck in the school chairs.
    Last edited by heartgoesboom; October 4th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The structure starts unraveling as hair gets older, kind of like a rope fraying.

Quote Originally Posted by tanpopokitty View Post
    I was curious, so last time I saw a stylist I asked her if I had any splits. She said no and that most people don't get a lot of splits unless they straighten their hair daily. Is this true?
    That could be true for more resilient hair than mine, but it's not true for me. I've never straightened my hair in my life, and haven't used a hairdryer or any hot tools on my hair since well before my current crop of hair started growing, and I certainly get splits. I don't S&D them, just trim occasionally as needed (last time was 6 months back).