Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got some spin pins

Length
    buzz/46"/51?"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Exclamation So I got some spin pins

And, well, I'm kind of disappointed. The biggest I could get was just regular-sized ones, and they don't look like they'll be able to hold much for long, and I got them for holding up my hair during vigorous activity. They cost me more than $7, which makes me want to return them. Has anyone had any experience with regular spin pins? How secure are they?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: So I got some spin pins

What is a spin pin?
    Melanie
    2 a/b/c, ii/iii f-c My hair is all over the place with typing,-blunt cut ,layered throughout. Dyed Blonde yet 100% white.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I posted a thread a while back asking about them here.

I ended up buying two packets of regular sized ones (so, 4 total) - mine were £5 per packet, so about $15.50 total. I find they work very well - better for some buns than others, but in general very well. So far I've used them for regular cinnabuns, plaited cinnabuns and the orchid bun. They are my most secure method for all of those, except the plaited cinnabun - that's more secure with my 4 homemade double-pointed knitting needle Amish pins. However, those make the bun really quite heavy and, for most activities (minus heavy farm work and maybe (though I haven't tried it) jogging/running), the spin pins are more than adequate.

I'm sure if I could be bothered I'd be able to do lots of other updos with them.

As far as breaking them, well, I have used them quite a lot and haven't managed to break them yet. However, I'm careful to keep them in a safe spot. I doubt they'd break with general use, but I wouldn't want to try sitting or standing on them.

I really like mine. I figure I'll get a fair bit of use out of them, particularly since they create nice, sturdy, quick-to-make buns with no visible means of staying up - perfect for interviews or formal events when fancy hairtoys might be frowned upon.

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I Have thick hair and use the normal size spin pins.

They hold like a rock, and I use only the two that came in the pack
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Account Closed by Member Request

I have some spin pin knockoffs made by Conair and they're the only thing that can hold a cinnabun up for many hours while hairsticks just pop out. Two or three of them hold my hair up just fine and even though they sometimes feel like they will bend out of shape (they're made of metal), it hasn't happened yet.

Length
    APL/33"/CL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I'm quite fond of my two spin pins They hold my bun the best out of all the toys I can use, and my hair likes to slip loose a lot.
    ~Lady Aeginaea of the Many Silken Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    "The strongest and sweetest songs yet remain to be sung." — Walt Whitman

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Another vote for rock-solid bun-holding here. I also use them for swimming... the bun doesn't move a bit!
    bsl > mbl > hip > [tlb] > clsc > fingertip > thigh > knee > ???

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

How are you inserting the spin pins? You definitely need to play around with them to find out what works best. Be sure to get the scalp hair too.
    Almost there!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Juneii View Post
    How are you inserting the spin pins? You definitely need to play around with them to find out what works best. Be sure to get the scalp hair too.
    this should be of help, its by some northern bird with a silly voice by the name of Jojo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62FQC1kFb8
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    24"/26"/30"
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I use mine practically 24/7. Here are all of the tips that I can think of:

1. Make your updo snug and flat to your head, with the ends tucked under if it's a cinnabun

2. While squashing the bun flat with one hand, use the other hand to spin the pin in through both the bun and the scalp hair at the same time. The spot on your scalp where the hair is thickest will anchor the best.

3. Placement matters: spin the first pin in near the place where you've tucked the ends under. If you have only two pins, do the other one at a 90 degree angle to the first or a little more. Interlocking the pins is ok and will enhance stability a little. If you have three pins, space them evenly around in thirds; four pins at N, S, E, W would be extremely stable if your bun is very large, though I don't know if it would be a problem interlocking so many.

4. If it's poking your scalp, the pin may be splayed apart from trying to penetrate an extremely tight bun. You can often take the pin out and put it back in without redoing the whole updo.

5. If you only have two spin pins but you really need more, they also work as team players with other hairtoys such as bent knitting needles.
    If I had a prayer, it would be this: "God spare me from the desire for love, approval, and appreciation. Amen." - Byron Katie