Thread: Why on earth do I get so many splits??

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Unhappy Why on earth do I get so many splits??

So I just decided to do an S&D session but ended up just trimming off quite large amounts.

I'd say around 90% of my hairs were either split or had that white dot at the end of them which eventually turns in to splits, I even found some hairs where the split or white dot was at least an inch up the hair

I don't have a clue why this is happening, I don't use any heat on my hair whatsoever whether it be straightening irons, a blow dryer or even hot water, I wear my hair up every day, use a wide tooth comb or my fingers only, stay away from SLS, cones and protein, condition daily and handle my hair as gently as I can.

My ends aren't dry, they get knotty easily but don't really feel dry or damaged.

Could I still be growing out damaged hair? it's been quite a while since I quit all hair-damaging things and since I only have shoulder length hair I thought it'd be all gone by now.

I don't have a clue what to do, I'm not going to reach any longer lengths at this rate!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Currently growing out dyed hair, and then it's on to waist
    Last dye - 10th December 2013, will cut at 5 inches of roots
    1 - 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 5

Length
    10/LTL/ankle
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Why on earth do I get so many splits??

If the hair has been processed it could still be some damage and that is what is causing it. Do you do any deep treatments on your hair? I use olive oil and it works very nicely for my ends.
    1c/~C~iii

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Maybe your hair needs some protein.

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I've just started using coconut oil and my ends love it, although my ends aren't even dry they just break ridiculously easy.

And spidermom, my hair doesn't seem to like conditioners with protein but do you think it's worth another try?

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Perhaps it could have something to do with your diet? Protein and healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, nuts) are important in order for your hair to grow healthy

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Sometimes when my hair needs clarifying I get white dots which I think are damage but must be build up and have gone once ive clarified. I know my hair does much better with cones as they help protect my fine hair, maybe this is what you need to stop split ends?

At shoulder length you should not be getting any split ends or damage as your very ends are still pretty young, I didn't see any split ends until I reached bsl. Your hair is also at an awkward length too as it rubs on collars and can catch on bags etc, is it long enough to put up, if so then practice what updo's will help protect the ends and make this a daily habit. Id also suggest experimenting with oils on those ends or a leave in conditioner to help protect. Maybe continue to use a coneless one on the length and a coney one as a leave in on the very ends.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I clarified yesterday but maybe I'll start bringing cones into my routine again. My hair is utterly useless, it refuses to budge past my shoulders and breaks at absolutely anything!

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by isabelx View Post
    I clarified yesterday but maybe I'll start bringing cones into my routine again. My hair is utterly useless, it refuses to budge past my shoulders and breaks at absolutely anything!
    I don't know if this will help at all but, a year ago i had a similar problem to you and what changed it totally was eating properly and taking a multi vitamin. Is you diet reasonably healthy proteins, veg cabs etc? Peanut butter really made my hair grow as well as Yoghurt.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I suppose my diet isn't as healthy as it could be no, being at college I'm always rushing around and grabbing whatever I can to eat! I do take a multi vitamin every day but perhaps I'll start working on improving my diet, thanks

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I have the same problem with you. My hair is very dry by itself. I don't know what to do...Oh and my hair also likes protein! I used a long time before ago placenta and it seems it was a miracle product for me. I wanna buy it again now.. Maybe you should try it.. Also try microtrimming your hair every month about 1/4 inch.