Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Your Scissors?

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Default Sharpening Your Scissors?

I received a pair of used hair scissors in the mail today from the swap board. The seller mentioned they needed sharpening, and I need some help as to how to go about that. I know how to sharpen knives, but I'm a bit lost as to how to do these. Do I use a waterstone, regular sharpening stone with oil, some special tool, etc? What do you guys use to sharpen your trimming/S&D scissors?

Length
    36/37/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Sharpening Your Scissors?

I am a hairdresser..Sharpening your scissors is not the same as a knife..I have a guy do it for about $15 to $20....Call a beauty supply in your area say you need your scissors sharpened..see if they have a # for you... or a local salon might have a phone #..the guy will come to you... They have a machine they use... hope this helps..

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Thank you Devon77!

Length
    flip/mbl/waist
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Devon77 View Post
    I am a hairdresser..Sharpening your scissors is not the same as a knife..I have a guy do it for about $15 to $20....Call a beauty supply in your area say you need your scissors sharpened..see if they have a # for you... or a local salon might have a phone #..the guy will come to you... They have a machine they use... hope this helps..
    Sorry for the digression, but are you near central IL? I was thinking of taking a break from salons and trying to self-trim but a long-haired hairdresser would be better.

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Oh hey, you're in NW Oregon! We have a guy who comes down from Salem at my place of work (fabric store) to sharpen our scissors, and I know he shaprens hair scissors too. There's also a place up in Portland that will, but I'm blanking on either of their names...Ahg...haha Scissorworks comes to mind but I tried to google 'em and came up with nothing. I could probably dig up their names if you're interested I'd call around cutlery places, they could probably reference you to someone who does scissors. And like Devon said, it's only about $10-15, and SO worth it if you have good scissors

Length
    36/37/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mora View Post
    Sorry for the digression, but are you near central IL? I was thinking of taking a break from salons and trying to self-trim but a long-haired hairdresser would be better.
    I am in the Northwest suburds of Chicago..

Length
    flip/mbl/waist
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Devon77 View Post
    I am in the Northwest suburds of Chicago..
    Drat...that's a little far for me now. I hope it didn't seem creepy that I asked.

Also, sorry for the thread hijacking.

Length
    Pixie/23 AP/27
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I have a Wusthoff knive sharpener that has an extra scissor sharpening piece. I have tried it on home scissors with some success but I would be reluctant with hair scissors. I say pay the sharpening pros, the sharp edge will last longer!

someone once said here you can sharpen your scissors on a glass bottle by 'cutting' the opening...

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rybe View Post
    Oh hey, you're in NW Oregon! We have a guy who comes down from Salem at my place of work (fabric store) to sharpen our scissors, and I know he shaprens hair scissors too. There's also a place up in Portland that will, but I'm blanking on either of their names...Ahg...haha Scissorworks comes to mind but I tried to google 'em and came up with nothing. I could probably dig up their names if you're interested I'd call around cutlery places, they could probably reference you to someone who does scissors. And like Devon said, it's only about $10-15, and SO worth it if you have good scissors
    Rybe, I'm not in your area, but I do have a question for you. I use a pair of Gingher embroidery scissors for S & D (I use a different pair for trims) and they need to be sharpened. If I bring them into a fabric store will they be able to have them sharpened for me? Thanks!