View Poll Results: What did you think of long hair (and hair in general) as a child?

Voters
494. You may not vote on this poll
  • I loved long hair and everything to do with it

284 57.49%
  • I wasn't bothered

146 29.55%
  • I hated/couldn't stand/didnt like long hair as a child

28 5.67%
  • I played with cheese

36 7.29%
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Your childhood view of hair and the view you hold now!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Your childhood view of hair and the view you hold now!

I loved long hair as a child but generally kept it no longer than APL most of the time, not sure why.

I wasn't bothered; as a kid my hair care/style was out of MY control and usually was kept short.
    I grew it long in high school, but never fussed with it, and eventually cut it short from 25-30.
    I had more style sense in my 40's when I grew it out again after a stylist chop .
    Had another stylist mishap and cut it short when I was 50....until I was 61 and decided to grow long and silver until my last breath
    Now I am fully focused on hair length and style in my 60s
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; April 14th, 2016 at 05:32 AM.

I didn't care about the length of hair when I was little, but I remember I hated bangs until I was about 10 and read manga where everyone had bangs and they looked pretty.
    Now I just want my hair to be super long forever. It's not something I would've even thought about when I was a kid.

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

As a young child, I absolutely loved long hair. I remember looking through picture books with princesses and wishing I could have such pretty long hair like them. I also remember as a little tot how I couldn't wait for my hair to be long enough to put into a ponytail, and I kept trying to until it was long enough and I was so excited when it did, then I remember I used to check my hair every day, stretching to see if it yet was long enough to reach my belly button. So I think even as a little girl I had small goals for myself. My mom was also my inspiration, since she always had long hair (usually around waist-hip I think at the time). My mom would tell me if I wanted to have long hair, I had to take care of it, brush out the snarls every day, and braid it every night. My mom would braid it every night until I learned how, then I diligently did this every night, and it still is an automatic habit every night and I am not comfortable sleeping with my hair loose. I remember admiring other people's hair too as a child. I also recall one time my grandma threatened to cut all my hair off because I had gum stuck in it and how scared I was at such a thought, but fortunately that didn't happen, haha. The question of this thread brings back a lot of old memories.

I think as I get older, I like and admire long hair more and more, and it's exciting to learn new styles and ways of caring for it too. Also, now that I am older, I know that long hair like the princesses and maidens had in my childhood picture books is possible to attain (which I didn't realize back then), and there are many who have pretty hair just like that on these forums.
    Last edited by Shepherdess; May 18th, 2016 at 11:24 PM.
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I was a young boy and didn't really cared about my hair. I had a love and hate affair with my typical 90's bowl cut! I was however, more aware I was a chubby unhappy kid, so hair was like the last thing in my mind!

I now view my hair as a part of my personality and there's even some spiritual aspects going on! I love the way it flows in the wind and the feeling when its down my back!
    In Mexican folk, those native aztecs with gorgeous deep black straight hair have always catch my eye. Also I feel a bit rebel in a very comformative society even Im a young man, so this keeps me going on, not necessarily a gender role thing but more like my own emancipation for what a person should be!

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>

Length
    15?/64/70+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

My view of my hair as a Kid - I wanted it 'long' (Shoulder length) since my hair had this very slight curl to it that, at that length, literally framed my face (I split it down the middle and let the bangs grow to chin length, at which point they'd flip in just a little bit )

As long as it was shiny and clean, I didn't really care otherwise.

Now AND Then - I was still wearing the same cut as described above when I saw my first anime - Sailor Moon! I had a serious case of hair envy at how long the character's hair was, and decided to grow my own out enough to try the bun-style (or at least get the cool ponytail). This was only reinforced when I saw another anime with another long-hair (Gundam Wing's Duo Maxwell) and decided I HAD to have long hair, no matter what.

Now - I love my hair being long as it is, I love the odd compliment I get when I leave it down yet braided (I don't get many of them!), but I realize it's not as healthy as it used to be, I've done it some damage and it needs some extra love and care but I'm so happy that I grew it out in the first place.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

From age 5/6 I started to grow out towards classic, which I reached at age 10/11. Then chopped it back off to a page-boy cut, which I had before age 5/6 as well. During middle school & high school it never got beyond BSL, came close a few times, but still. There was a time at age 13/14 where I lost a fair bit of my hair (fell out in clumps/bald spots). That regulated itself and was OK again, and thick again, at age 15/16 and then I started to crimp the bejeezus out of it. Because the texture had changed from 1b/c to 2b/c and was (to me at the time) so difficult to deal with. Poof. Poof everywhere. And then I buzzed it in my twenties to a millimetered cut à la Sinéad o'Connor (with the coat and everything - still have it to this day). Then came henna and growth again. It was a blur mid to late twenties and whatever, then mid to late thirties I sort of started to accept my texture more and more. And here we are a decade later and no change in routine since.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

When I was a child, my best friend and I had a "contest" to see who could grow their hair longer. In the end, she ended up cutting hers to SL, and mine was at TBL for a 8/9 year old girl. We're still friends now, and she still has SL hair, while I'm trying to get to TBL... some things never change!

(edit: I haven't had my coffee yet and I can't spell before it )

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    9"/15"/BSL+
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I had long hair as a child, and I liked it, mostly because I could swing my ponytail and hit people with it.

Length
    18/41.25/term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

When I was really little, my mom cut her hair, and I wanted to match it (she went from permed waist-length hair to a sort of short pixie she would spike up), so I got my hair cut into a really awkward bowl cut. After that, my parents kept my hair pretty short. It was probably easier to clean an active little girl's short hair than long hair, and for most of my life, my hair didn't get any longer than APL (it's almost laughable to think of my hair ever being that short, because it hasn't been that length in nearly 5 years). But at the same time, I loved fairytales (Rapunzel was a favorite), and dreamed about having hair long enough to touch the floor.

Lady Eros, Speaker for the Dead in the Order of Long-Haired Knights
    35-36-37(TBL)-38-39-40-41-42-43-45(Classic)-46-47-48-49-50-?