Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarifying questions

Length
    9/20.5/waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Clarifying questions

ok i seriously think im a reject on the LHC cuz i cant search effectively. I know this is here somewhere but what im what to know is, is it clarifying that gets rid of the buildup in your hair of like leave in conditioners etc and if so what do you Clarify with... I read shampoos which ones would they be

Thanks so much all I am really learning so much here
    Last edited by slo2gro; August 11th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
    grow hair grow chin... shoulder... APL... bsl... waist...classic...

Length
    17.5"/BSL/BCL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Default Re: Clarifying questions

That's what clarifying does Most shampoos with the word "Clarifying" or containing sulphates will do. A popular one is Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo. Some people even clarify using baking soda

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
    That's what clarifying does Most shampoos with the word "Clarifying" or containing sulphates will do. A popular one is Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo. Some people even clarify using baking soda
    But then that shampoo should not have cones, right? Because that would leave some new build-up? *still learning too*

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Baking soda does the job well. 1 tbs baking soda, with little water, to form a paste. You massage it on your scalp and lenght, then rinse. Sice BS is very alkaline, and the scalp is slightly acidic, you must balace the pH out. You can do that with mixing 1 tbs vinegar (apple cider vinegar or ACV, or white vinegar) with 1-2 cups of water(I use 250 ml). Rinse your hair with the mixture. It will leave it soft and shiny. To get rid of the smell, you can do a final cold water rinse. But the smell will fade in a couple hours anyways. Good luck.

Length
    27/27.5/33
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I still don't really understand why people do it, tbh. Yes getting rid of the build up, what build up? I don't think I've ever noticed build up in my hair? o:

If you have trouble finding threads, try Google! ;D for example type in: clarifying long hair community. It will give you a huge list of topics here on the forum about clarifying.
    Last edited by Rosake; August 9th, 2011 at 08:41 AM.

Length
    17.5"/BSL/BCL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vlientje View Post
    But then that shampoo should not have cones, right? Because that would leave some new build-up? *still learning too*
    You're right Vlientje! Some cones are water-soluble though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosake View Post
    I still don't really understand why people do it, tbh. Yes getting rid of the build up, what build up? I don't think I've ever noticed build up in my hair? o:

If you have trouble finding threads, try Google! ;D for example type in: clarifying long hair community. It will give you a huge list of topics here on the forum about clarifying.
    Build up from cones? Some people never experience buildup from cones though, like user luxepiggy is an avid cone lover and she never had a problem with buildup. Build up also occurs from other things like minerals, protein, etc. That's why sometimes we have to chelate or clarify

Type
    2a/M/ii

How do you know the build is bad for you? I mean I right now use a lot of cones and some other things in my hair so I bet I have a huge build up. But I don't really notice that.. Should I? xD

(I am SO going to buy some kind of notebook to write all of this in, I feel like I've been asking the same questions over and over again :P)

Length
    17.5"/BSL/BCL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vlientje View Post
    How do you know the build is bad for you? I mean I right now use a lot of cones and some other things in my hair so I bet I have a huge build up. But I don't really notice that.. Should I? xD

(I am SO going to buy some kind of notebook to write all of this in, I feel like I've been asking the same questions over and over again :P)
    Don't worry! As I mentioned, not everyone experiences buildup. Mostly if your hair suddenly starts misbehaving (sticky or gummy hair, looks oily at roots, extremely dry and velcroey ends, dull, etc) then it may be a case of buildup. It helps to try clarifying first in most cases to see if buildup was the cause of the problems.

ETA: just think of clarifying as some kind of soft reset for your hair
    Last edited by Sundial; August 9th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The products you normally use make a difference, too. If you regularly shampoo, particularly with something with sulfates, and let the suds wash down your length, it's quite likely you're removing any buildup you have and won't ever need to clarify. On the other extreme, if you CO-wash with a dimethicone-laden conditioner and use serums and styling products, you might find you need to clarify every couple of washes or your hair will misbehave.

I rarely shampoo, but the conditioner I use doesn't cause much buildup for me. I could go many months between shampooings without noticing a problem with my hair, my products, and my water. If any of those things changes, I might need to alter my routine accordingly.

P.S. to the OP: The search function around here takes a lot of getting used to and it's definitely sub-optimal. Doing a Google site search is easier for most people looking for hair information. Looking for stuff on the off-topic boards, obviously, requires search that has access to those things.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I probably clarify once every two months. I don't get much buildup but I notice that over time, my shampoo eventually doesn't make my scalp feel as clean and I develop scalp itchies. I may not need to do that anymore, since I switched to no-cones, but we do have somewhat hard water here, so who knows!

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus