Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96

Thread: Terminal length and other questions :)

  1. #1
    Member kellinaturalmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Pacific Northwest
    Age
    39
    Posts
    353
    Length
    CL/CBL/WL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Terminal length and other questions :)

    I have 2 questions I would love some feedback on.


    1-does "terminal length" mean really long for everyone? Could someone be incapable of growing waist length hair or do you think anyone could do it with proper care?


    2-I have heard that brushing with a boar bristle brush is good for your hair and scalp, but what about us baby fine haired people? Would combing with a wide tooth comb as little as possible maybe be better?


    * My hair hasn't stopped growing, I am just curious/paranoid about that happening! I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced what they think is their terminal length.
    I also have been using a BBB almost every night but have heard many fine heads say that they don't brush their hair at all.
    Last edited by kellinaturalmom; August 5th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.

  2. #2
    Member Spring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    678
    Length
    19/23/36
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    That's a good question. I think anything is possible, but I also believe that in some cases people mistakenly believe that they've reached terminal when they've gone too long without trimming, so they experience a period where they "feel" stuck because it's hard to see any length progress.

    ETA: Question #2 is one that concerns me too. I don't think my fine coarse hair would survive that type of brushing. I think the benefit of the brushing is scalp stimulation and moving sebum and dirt away from the scalp.... so maybe scritching and massage can be an alternative.
    Last edited by Spring; August 5th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

  3. #3
    Member Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    I always believed my terminal length was around BSL because I was never able to get past that length, but since joining LHC my hair just keeps growing and growing and growing! I'm now at waist and growing still...

  4. #4
    Member kellinaturalmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Pacific Northwest
    Age
    39
    Posts
    353
    Length
    CL/CBL/WL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I always believed my terminal length was around BSL because I was never able to get past that length, but since joining LHC my hair just keeps growing and growing and growing! I'm now at waist and growing still...

    Top Cat, your hair is beautiful! Can I ask what you have been doing differently since joining LHC?

  5. #5
    Member faithsdaisy421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    a blue dot
    Age
    39
    Posts
    155
    Length
    Pixie/Chin/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    I have very, very fine hair. I use a BBB 3-5 times a week, depending on how much time I have. I think the BBB does great things for my hair, but I always make sure I have untangled it with my Tangle Teaser first. I use very slow motions as well.

    Remember, a BBB is not meant to untangle hair, it is used to distribute oils and massage your scalp =)
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” ~Kahlil Gibran
    My soul finds rest in God alone because my confidence comes from Him -Psalm 62:5

  6. #6
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,723
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    1) There are some people, though it's rare, who's terminal lengths are very short (waist or shorter). It's all in genetics, but most people can at least grow to classic in my opinion. Proper care will maximize their genetic potential so then there will be a more accurate "terminal time". Usually, to reach very long lengths, it requires proper care and fast growing genetics so that terminal "time" doesn't come at a shorter length.
    2)As others have said here, BBB is not for detangling so it's advised to detangle (wide tooth comb is good) before brushing. Weaker hair can get damaged a little if you are not being careful, coarse hair can last longer but usually cannot go through the brush as easily(especially if it's thick), so it defeats the purpose of really distributing the oil to all the hair. There are different kinds of brushes though that make brushing easier. Madora is good at all this brush stuff, she's a pro

  7. #7
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,282
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    @kellinaturalmom...

    Hair grows as long as your genes allow (providing, of course, that you treat it gently!)

    As far as boar bristle brushes are concerned, you can still use one on your hair, if you are gentle and brush carefully. The pure boar bristle is the nearest thing in nature that matches the structure of your hair.

    If you are concerned about doing too much brushing with your bbb, then perhaps you could consider only brushing a few strokes per day (say 20).

    The thing is, to be consistent when brushing and to brush correctly.

    Also, above all, Detangle FIRST, with a wide tooth comb, before you brush!

    The boar bristle brush not only stimulates the hair follicles, but it removes lint and stuff trapped in your strands (and stuff on your scalp), it distributes the hair's natural sebum, and gives your tresses incredible shine and softness (over time).

    Brushing is not simply a question of applying brush to hair. It's HOW you do it that will determine the overall health and beauty of your hair.

    Detangling first with a wide tooth comb is half the battle. It is the combination of detangling properly and brushing gently that makes or breaks how your hair will respond and prosper!

  8. #8
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,282
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    Quote Originally Posted by gthlvrmx View Post
    1) There are some people, though it's rare, who's terminal lengths are very short (waist or shorter). It's all in genetics, but most people can at least grow to classic in my opinion. Proper care will maximize their genetic potential so then there will be a more accurate "terminal time". Usually, to reach very long lengths, it requires proper care and fast growing genetics so that terminal "time" doesn't come at a shorter length.
    2)As others have said here, BBB is not for detangling so it's advised to detangle (wide tooth comb is good) before brushing. Weaker hair can get damaged a little if you are not being careful, coarse hair can last longer but usually cannot go through the brush as easily(especially if it's thick), so it defeats the purpose of really distributing the oil to all the hair. There are different kinds of brushes though that make brushing easier. Madora is good at all this brush stuff, she's a pro
    Awww, gthlvrmx, you are very kind. I just love my bbb and what it has done for my hair over the years. Many people don't realize what a good bbb can do for your hair - long or short -- because most everything these days is geared to synthetic brushes..etc. But even more appalling is the fact that people don't know how to brush correctly!! So sad..and their hair suffers the consequences.

  9. #9
    Member Honestwitness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Liberty, MO
    Age
    70
    Posts
    789
    Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    Madora, my hair is baby fine also and very fragile as well. Just how should I brush my hair with a bbb after detangling with a wide tooth comb? Can you describe the steps?

  10. #10
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,723
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length and other questions :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Awww, gthlvrmx, you are very kind. I just love my bbb and what it has done for my hair over the years. Many people don't realize what a good bbb can do for your hair - long or short -- because most everything these days is geared to synthetic brushes..etc. But even more appalling is the fact that people don't know how to brush correctly!! So sad..and their hair suffers the consequences.
    You're welcome, but it's true! You know brushes like no other! I don't even know how to really brush correctly, it might be OK here and then when my hair isn't curly. It'll still poof though.
    One question, do you copy and paste your steps every time? Because i noticed you have almost the same procedures in the same order whenever you post them Just wondering, i think it's quite handy if you have it typed down somewhere

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •