Page 3 of 456 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Microtrimming and Maintaining Club!

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Microtrimming and Maintaining Club!

I really want to join this thread. I had a huge chop back in February but even with that I'm always obsessing about my ends getting thin. For some reason I keep getting random breakage. Anyway, I will be doing small trims as needed every 1-2 months, probably following the Moroccan method lunar chart for hair growth.

Length
    15"/39.2"/42"CL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Barniie View Post
    I've only got, like, 2 inches of my old layers left to grow out! So i'm trimming till then for the next few months First one, tonight!
    Good luck!! Don't forget to take pics It's much easier to see your progress when you do

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    So are you guys doing a self-trim? How do you schedule it? First of every month? Are you just eyeballing the amount you take off or being more precise?
    I do mine around the first of the month each month - and sometimes a few extra snips in the middle if I feel like it! The two times I went on holiday this year I had to do mid-month trims as well thanks to wind damage.

If I only want to cut off a tiny bit - even it up really - I don't measure and just trim the loner few hairs off the end. If I trim 1/2cm or more I do measure it.

My quick method for trimming is to do a low ponytail after neatly fingercombing my hair back, much like Feye's method but without sliding the band down my hair. Instead I reach behind me and tie a smaller band near the bottom. Depending on the direction you look as you tie the small band at the bottom, it affects your hair in the same way as looking up down or straight ahead as with Feye's method. Then I bring it over my shoulder and trim off the desired amount. Since my hair has neared TB, it's more difficult to slide down the pony with accuracy! So just making a low pony tail without sliding down the holder makes my life a lot easier.

When I do bigger trims I use Feye's method more accurately and do the part when you trim your hair when it is parted at the back and sitting in front of your body as well.

I made a deal at the start of the year that I would do a microtrim at least once a month, and so far I have stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    The bolded is exactly how I feel sometimes, but I feel much better now than I did holding on to thin ends. MissManda's thread, progress like yours and some other regular trimmers have been very encouraging.
    Thanks for sharing your method with us! I also am trying to remind myself that I feel much better with thicker ends! Plus my hair is actually retaining the growth instead of crumbling away. Even though it all points towards positive results, I still find my motivation waning sometimes. It will be good to have a Microtrimming club here to commiserate with

Account Closed by Member Request

Welcome to Cleopatra18, Barniie, Ligeia_13, and Fairlight63! Sweetie, I did the exact same thing as you and waited until I got to waist (which I later found out was actually past but nevermind that) before I started self-trimming. I knew I would have been miserable if I had maintained any higher up because I can do more styles at waist. Hope to see you here soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    So are you guys doing a self-trim? How do you schedule it? First of every month? Are you just eyeballing the amount you take off or being more precise?

Sorry so many questions, but I only just started trimming again (after going almost a year without) and am keen to get back onto some sort of schedule. I am battling severe taper (caused from years of dye) and trying to get rid of my two-coloured hair
    Welcome, Rini!

I use Feye's Method for big and small trims. I use the U-cut method and tip my head back as far as I possibly can to get the softest U-shape possible, but that's because I prefer the look of an almost blunt U hem.

After much practice, I have gotten pretty good at precision trimming and can trim off exactly however much I want off. I don't have any good explanations, though, other than cut small amounts at a time and use good scissors. Right now, I'm just microtrimming off the ends of my fastest-growing hairs to keep my hemline even, which probably takes off about 1/8th of an inch or so.

For bigger trims (0.5"+), I need to use a ruler otherwise I will take off too much. For smaller trims, I just eyeball it because I think the amount I'm taking off is so small that attempting to measure it would be too tedious for my liking.

I usually trim between the 18th and the 25th of each month depending on what's going on in my life. When I do a trim, I just schedule the next one four weeks later, usually on the weekend.

Length
    ASL/27 in/HipL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Quahatundightu View Post
    Calling everyone who is trimming at regular intervals to thicken up or get rid of damaged hair.

It feels like a thankless task sometimes when you really just want longer hair - it would be good to have some inspiration and progress pics from people!

I have been trimming 1/2cm (1/4") or more each month this year. The difference it has made to my hair is just amazing! I need to take some more recent pics, my hair has got a lot thicker. Being able to see the difference is really encouraging, but it still feels quite annoying when all I want to do is grow.

I spent quite a few years saying I would maintain once I got to TB. Well that day never came, as my hair kept crumbling at the ends instead of growing!! My no-trim plan actually set me back because now I am having to trim off the ends I should have been slowly trimming for years. I didn't plan to grow any this year, because my hair always grew slowly so I expected not to see any growth if I microtrimmed. But now my hair is healthier than ever I am still actually seeing growth despite all the trims! I wish I had done this earlier rather than shooting straight for TB...

My progress so far

Anyone else? How often do you microtrim, what are your tips for keeping up motivation?!
    Well done you are thickening up well .. I have been doing this also .. :-) an LHC member e-mailed me a link of Cinnamon Hair's journey that started in 2002 at the hips with vey untamed and thin ends, trimming away until 2010 - read here if interested :-) -
    http://www.beyondclassiclength.com/longhairjourney.html it's sad that the links to LHC have been removed .. my own siggy pics show how I'm thickening up too :-)

Renegray also a member of the Micro-trim club

Length
    19/23/36
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

MissManda I like the idea of using elbow length as a milestone (in your siggie) instead of waist. I can't go by the "narrowest part of my torso" because it goes up and down according to my love handles . Waist for me is about 1 inch above my belly button and hip is ~ 1 inch below my belly button. I think true waist on me is about 31 inches because at my current length of 29.5 I look slighty longer than BSL. Anyhow using elbow eliminates the love handles issue for me (I still have to remember to stand up straight with shoulders down )

Slinks, the progress in your siggie looks really good!
    stg: 32 in ltg: 36 in
    Back to APL MBL WL HL TBL

@Spring!!!
    Im really interested in how you do your trimming! Could you possibly do a picture step by step tutorial? Sounds like this would be better for me too especially because ever little "mistake" shows in my hair its terrible! It would be nice to be able to have more accuracy! Sorry my quote/personal message capability isnt working on here for some reason : (

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm about to join this club, my hair is now pretty much elbow length stretched (which is my goal length) but my ends are dramatically thin after a haircut that should've been thought through better, and a recent quite massive shed.

I'm gonna have about 4 inches chopped off soon I think and then I'm going to microtrim every two months or so I think ^_^

Length
    19/23/36
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dragonchickx View Post
    @Spring!!!
    Im really interested in how you do your trimming! Could you possibly do a picture step by step tutorial? Sounds like this would be better for me too especially because ever little "mistake" shows in my hair its terrible! It would be nice to be able to have more accuracy! Sorry my quote/personal message capability isnt working on here for some reason : (
    Hi dragonchickx! I wish we were able to use the @ function to notify each other! I hope you received my visitor message. Anyhow... I would love to show step by step photos, but I have to admit showing my chuggles (love handles) is a little intimidating. Maybe I could work around it but still show how I do it. Also, thanks for your input in my homemade self trimming device thread. It was your rubberband idea that caused me to start thinking more about securing hair in sections

I'm going to go work on the instruction photos.

Welcome Chetanlaiho!
    Last edited by Spring; July 30th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
    stg: 32 in ltg: 36 in
    Back to APL MBL WL HL TBL

Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

My problem is not the split ends at the very tops of my hair, but those that end higher up. I don't know if it counts as a microtrim, but sometimes I have a scissor and try to cut of as many split ends as I find as possible. It takes ages, so I'll never be free from split ends xP

Account Closed by Member Request

Welcome, Chetanlaiho and Sweet Beat!

Sweet Beat, I understand exactly what your frustration. I have a lot of damage and splits in my remaining layers. It feels like such a thankless task because there are so many of them and even if I get rid of a lot of them, I still find more. I won't be completely satisfied until I get the dratted things cut off entirely. Moisture and oiling as well as keeping my hair up seem to help, but I still have days where they bother me to no end!

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    MissManda I like the idea of using elbow length as a milestone (in your siggie) instead of waist. I can't go by the "narrowest part of my torso" because it goes up and down according to my love handles . Waist for me is about 1 inch above my belly button and hip is ~ 1 inch below my belly button. I think true waist on me is about 31 inches because at my current length of 29.5 I look slighty longer than BSL. Anyhow using elbow eliminates the love handles issue for me (I still have to remember to stand up straight with shoulders down )
    Heehee, thanks!

I'm not actually using Elbow to substitute Waist length so much as using it in addition to it. I have a short torso, so APL, BSL, and Waist are all within close proximity to each other, while I have five inches between Waist and the top of my hip bones so I have a Lower Back Anyss instead of the Midback Abyss that I've read so much about. Elbow length is pretty much exactly between those two lengths, so I thought it gave me a good excuse to break up the no-man's land with a mini-milestone.

I also happen to find that Elbow length is very flattering on many people, whether the elbows align with the waist or not.

I am also interested in seeing photo instructions of your trimming method if you feel comfortable with making them.