Page 2 of 456 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Microtrimming and Maintaining Club!

Length
    15"/39.2"/42"CL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Microtrimming and Maintaining Club!

Yay I am so happy to see other people in similar situations! It's very encouraging Thanks for joining in everyone ^^

Considering how fine my hair is I think I need to keep doing regular microtrims for the foreseeable future. I will get an updated picture after my August microtrim

MissManda: WOW!!! Talk about progress!!! Thank you so much for the inspiration! In only a year your hair has changed dramatically, so gorgeous! I will head over and check your other thread now

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I get mine trimmed every 8 weeks or so, growing out some crazy layers. This thread has really motivated me to maintain the trim's. I was so down in June as I had a major chop to get rid of the final layer in the back, with front still to grow...I was almost thinking I shall just let it grow now but these pic's certainly convinced me to keep focused. The thickness of the hemline and health looks superb in both post's.

Length
    ears/n/a/TB
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MissManda View Post
    You are all welcome! The aforementioned thread can be found here if anyone is curious.

And thank you, Spring, for mentioning that thread. I take that is a huge compliment! :blush: You made my day!
    Thank you for re-linking your thread!

Length
    ears/n/a/TB
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

You are all welcome! The aforementioned thread can be found here if anyone is curious.

And thank you, Spring, for mentioning that thread. I take that is a huge compliment! :blush: You made my day!
    Thank you for re-linking your thread!

Length
    chin/apl+/elbow
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I'm all for microtrims! So little taken off yet so much healthier looking hair
    shoulder - apl - bsl - WAIST - elbow
    Calaelen rocks my socks

I've only got, like, 2 inches of my old layers left to grow out! So i'm trimming till then for the next few months First one, tonight!

Length
    17/26/32
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I have planned to start doing something like this soon after I hit WL.... maybe I won't cut every month, but surely I'll cut often to mantain the lenght and get rid of the last lajest, which are a couple of inches shorter than the rest...!

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

So are you guys doing a self-trim? How do you schedule it? First of every month? Are you just eyeballing the amount you take off or being more precise?

Sorry so many questions, but I only just started trimming again (after going almost a year without) and am keen to get back onto some sort of schedule. I am battling severe taper (caused from years of dye) and trying to get rid of my two-coloured hair

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

That is what I have been doing also since Jan. or so, since reaching waist. Even though I have been trimming monthly I have still grown to almost TBL. I just trim off about 1/4 in. on the New Moon each month. I think that it is helping to thicken up the ends. Trimming off a little every month keeps me from having to do a major trim & I can do that myself without having to go to a salon. I am afraid of getting it uneven if I have to cut off more than an inch.

Length
    19/23/36
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    So are you guys doing a self-trim? How do you schedule it? First of every month? Are you just eyeballing the amount you take off or being more precise?
    Hi Rini ! I use a few trimming methods, but for trimming monthly, I cannot use Feye's because I always end up trimming more than I want because I always have to make corrections. So I use "Spring's trimming method" !

1. I brush my hair back, so that it's laying on my back the way I would want the hairs to lay naturally.

2. Starting from the top of my hairline, I use my hands to section my hair into 3 parts as if to make a simple braid. I do this without moving the hair out of position too much.

3. I take one of the side sections, & move the other 2 sections out of the way by placing them over the opposite shoulder. Trying carefully not to bunch the hairs of the section I'm working on, I pull the section down my back with my hands, and when I reach the bottom, I use 2 hair friendly smooth gripper clips (kind of long) to secure the hair and keep it from moving. ( I clip 1 going right to left and the other one I clip going left to right to keep hairs from sliding out of the clip)

4. After that section is secure, I carefully bring it around to the front and trim desired amount.

5. I remove the clips and repeat steps 1-4 on the remaining 2 sections.

This method has given me the ability to make very small trims with better accuracy, that I'm not able to do using other methods. You can use a measuring tape, the black part of my tape is 1/4 inch etc ... I use my fingers to measure (the tips are approximately 1 inch). But generally I eyeball it

I also use Feye's trimming method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quahatundightu View Post

It feels like a thankless task sometimes when you really just want longer hair - it would be good to have some inspiration and progress pics from people!

I have been trimming 1/2cm (1/4") or more each month this year. The difference it has made to my hair is just amazing! I need to take some more recent pics, my hair has got a lot thicker. Being able to see the difference is really encouraging, but it still feels quite annoying when all I want to do is grow.

Anyone else? How often do you microtrim, what are your tips for keeping up motivation?!
    The bolded is exactly how I feel sometimes, but I feel much better now than I did holding on to thin ends. MissManda's thread, progress like yours and some other regular trimmers have been very encouraging.

You're welcome! That thread came at a time when I knew I was doing the right thing but was floored at the results of long term maintaining
    Last edited by Spring; July 29th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
    stg: 32 in ltg: 36 in
    Back to APL MBL WL HL TBL