Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My mother wants to cut my hair!

Length
    BSL/MB/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default My mother wants to cut my hair!

Today I told my mum about all my plans to growing out my hair and she looked horrified and said no way I would grow my hair that long (going for classic!!!) because where my parents are from and where I was born and brought up, civilized people don't wear long hair. And it's true, if I go back to my part of town you wouldn't see any woman with hair past BSL. People with hair any longer are judged as either being poor or gypsies.

So now she wants me to cut my hair back to APL or something and not let it grow! I think this is so unfair due to the fact she's only doing this to not get on my grandmother's bad side and because she's scared of what people will think of her... It's my hair!

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default Re: My mother wants to cut my hair!

She can't make you cut it, can she? Maybe you can compromise by saying you will wear it up when you see your grandmother so she won't see how long it is.
    There are two types of people in the world; those who play to win and those who play not to lose.

Length
    BSL/MB/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/iii

True, that would be great. But first I need to figure out how to put my hair up properly. All I know how to do with my hair at the moment is dutch braid it. And if my dad also agreed that my hair was too long, my mum probably would seriously force me! Luckily he's not giving in but he's not keen on my hair either.

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I agree, learn to put it up and odds are that they'll all forget how long it even is. If it's kept nicely put up, it'll never be in your face (which parents mostly HATE) or look too sloppy or "low class."

And an updo looks ladylike, which parents the world over can't help but love.

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elbow chic View Post
    I agree, learn to put it up and odds are that they'll all forget how long it even is. If it's kept nicely put up, it'll never be in your face (which parents mostly HATE) or look too sloppy or "low class."

And an updo looks ladylike, which parents the world over can't help but love.
    This.

And, while you can't use the "I'm 18 you can't tell me what to do" line, you can make it clear that you want this and will never let your hair look unkempt and will keep it up if they don't like it.
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Length
    BSL/MB/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Like, up everyday? Oh, I somehow always thought that would be slightly damaging. Can you recommend any styles for beginners? I have no clue, I've never ever worn my hair up.

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

How long is your hair? I don't think it's 1" long right?

If you tell us where on your body your hair falls we can suggest styles. Buns, braids are usually best rather than pony tails.

It isn't damaging if you don't use elastics for example, but hair sticks, smooth clips, or even the tops off those knee high "pop" socks. Certainly elastics with no metal bits would be better than otherwise.
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh, that's too bad. When you're still a minor living in your parents' home, sometimes you have to do what they say whether you like it or not. I certainly did. Wearing it up might get your parents' minds off your hair, and you can quietly grow it long without them noticing. Maybe.

Go to YouTube and search for hair styling. There are lots and lots and lots of options. Also look at the articles section here (on the bar at the top of the page; click on it).

If they make you keep it no longer than a certain length, try to enjoy it, and remember - it's only temporary. You will be an independent adult some day, then you'll miss the times when all you had to worry about was hair length instead of keeping up with a job and bills and your own home and ....
    Last edited by spidermom; July 26th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

One place to go for inspiration, is the "Hairstyle of the Month" threads on this forum - it give good inspiration to try something new.
    There are also heaps of instructional videos on Youtube, and there are LHCers (Hypnotica and Torrin Paige are two with a lot of very good videos) who have their own channels there, just use the name of bun you want to learn for searching.
    As for easy and quick buns - I would suggest Chinese bun (that is one of my personal favorites), Nautilus bun, Pencil bun and Cinnabun - and the Rose bun - I tend to think of that last one as a Cinnabun done with a rope braid - and it is certainly very pretty!
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/APL/waist

If your mother isn't supportive of your hair, then maybe it is best to not tell her about your goals ever. I know that it sucks but if someone isn't supportive than there is no need to let them know. They'll just make your life miserable. Maybe the best thing to do is put it up when you are around her and let her be oblivious to what is going on with your hair. I always have my hair up, so no one ever knows what is going on with it. Not even me. lol
    There are many different updos that you can learn. Go on youtube! That's a great resource. Just practice! That is all it takes to master those updos.
    I am sorry that you have to go through this.