Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extremely damaged hair, help!

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Default extremely damaged hair, help!

how do i not give up hope of having long beautiful hair? I have permed, straightened and colored, I don't think one hair is the same length on my head. It has been the same length for 10 months now due to all the breakkage. I have tried the very deep overnight conditioners and oils. I don't want to go pixie, it is shooulder length now. How do I keep up the patience to just let it do what it's going to do? has anyone here had this kind of damage? can you please tell me your story and what you did? I am so sad,,, sorry to rant, but thank you for your kind support. I love LHC so far you have helped me so very much.
    ~Brenda Just want to get to APL right now!

Lady Firebrand of Warriors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: extremely damaged hair, help!

You can get through this. What kind of routines are you doing for your hair right now and what products are you using? More importantly, have you stopped all the hair abuse?

I have had extremely damaged hair before. There have been time where it has practically melted in my hands. Though I have short hair now (it was by choice) I didn't have to cut my long hair because of damage so you shouldn't either.
    Last edited by Mairéad; July 25th, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

You just need to have patience. Growing out your hair to an impressively long length is a journey. There really isn't any other way around it. However, if you follow a good haircare routine (constantly use good moisturizing conditioning products and oils, wearing it up to protect the ends, and limit the amount of heat-styling) as well as exercise and eating a healthy diet, then you will grow the fastest and healthiest hair that your body will potentially grow. Your only other option if you really want much longer hair right this instant is if you go to a salon to get extensions. They won't be as great as your own naturally grown out hair, but it is a great solution if you just have to satisfy that urge.

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

thank you Mairead, right now I just wash and condition using redkken products for dry hair, use a deep condiitioner on occation, and oil it. Yes, i have stopped all the abuse. My hair became thin and almost what I call liquified hair. eek!I just don't know where it is going to stop.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Have you considered going CO? I think with your hair texture and current hair health it may be a success. For some cones are a definite friend but for others, myself included, they really got in the way of my hair holding on to any real moisture. If you think that is an option worth trying, always use a clarifying shampoo before starting, to get cones out.

I would look to try new things out like CO or ACV rinses. Read the boards of routines that interest you. I don't know what you've tried but you never know until you do try. If you don't think what you're doing right now is helping, than seek new options.

When my hair was damaged I left it alone as much as possible, only intervening at times to add oil, do a washing, and the sporadic treatment. I washed it as little as possible and kept it up in a braid or bun. A little benign neglect.
    Last edited by Mairéad; July 25th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

I say keep taking care of the virgin hair and maintain your length at your shoulders until the damage is gone. Once it is you can just let it grow without any worries. Growing out damaged hair is extremely annoying and hanging onto destroyed hair does you no favours. Don't give up and be patient

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

ericthegreat, thankk you, yes patience is key isn't it, and thank you for reminding me that it is a journey. thank you for your wisdom, I will do what you are saying about the diet and excercise. this is such a hard time for me with my hair that I feel is ruined and ugly I hope to have as beautiful hair as you one day xo

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

hey mairead, what is CO and AVC forgive my ignorance. That benign neglect sounds like exacly what the doctor ordered xo

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

McFearlless,, thank you, patience is key.....

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

CO is conditioner only and ACV is apple cider vinegar. There are detailed instructions about both of these on this site. Here's the one for CO http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=2898 One of the responses on the third page give a good run down of what to do.

The rinse is simply a splash or two of apple cider vinegar in a big cup of water, and used after a washing. It keeps the hair follicle lying flat to seal in goodies and keeps the scalp and hair pH a bit more happy, among other benefits!

It's OK. I used to not know what all the letters meant either.

But, I think there is a way to explore new routines while doing benign neglect. I think the important thing is to not give in to the urge to thinking "the more the merrier" and try every single treatment and the kitchen sink all at once.
    Last edited by Mairéad; July 25th, 2011 at 11:37 PM.