Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One month till "show time"

Length
    chin/94cm/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default One month till "show time"

I will be visiting old friends in 1 month and I am wanting my hair to look as great as possible (shiny, healthy, long, thick, etc.).

I don't really do much currently, other than "benign neglect" -- washing once a week, occasional brushing, up during daytime, braid at bedtime (or loose...). I don't take vitamins or use oils routinely, and I do not do any deep treatments on a routine basis. The reason is mainly because I am lazy.

What I am wondering is if there are some things that I could do (or stop doing) to improve the health of my hair from now until Aug 20th in order for it to look it's best -- like some sort of hair "boot camp". I have a lot of time during the day, and I don't mind purchasing certain products -- as long as they will help.

My hair is currently wl (avatar is most recent photo) and I am going to try and thicken up my hemline by removing 1" and then sticking with 1/4" each month --- but I think I want to wait to remove that 1" until after the reunion because I don't want to loose any length right now. If, however, my hair will look BETTER by removing an inch now, then I will be open to that suggestion.

My hair seemed dry and dull last week and with some great advice from this forum, I clarified and did an SMT. It worked great and my hair was really soft and shiny after - so I know that I will probably want to do this the night before the reunion. But I am not really sure what I should be doing from now until then.

I also am wondering what I should do on the day of the reunion to make my hair look good in a quick/superficial way -- shine spray? cones? blow dry? curl? Since I don't do these things on a regular basis, I wonder if much harm will come if I do them on that special day?

Thanks a lot!
    Dagny

Chin--SL--APL--BSL--MBL--Waist--HIP-- BCL --TB--Classic--Beyond...?

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

The most immediate results (without having to do too much work) I found from bi-weekly apple cider vinegar rinses and daily oiling. You can up the ante of your rinse by diluting with a hair tea instead of plain water, but either way make sure you're using filtered water.

If you are willing to do more work, I'd really think about weekly deep conditioning treatments.

Also, I was in a similar position of needing to trim an inch but wanting the length for an event (my wedding) and I waited to trim until after the wedding and honestly, looking at how much better my hair looks now, the inch wasn't worth it and I should have done it before.

ETA- On the day of my wedding, I used a curling iron to flatten out my hair and give the ends some curl. But I let it air dry completely first.

Length
    chin/94cm/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: One month till "show time"

ElusiveMuse -- thank you so much for your advice! I have seen photos of people who cut 1" off and to my eyes it doesn't make it look shorter -- but I am sure that to them it really seems a lot shorter. So, yea, maybe I should cut the inch off now? OR should I wait until right before the reunion?

Please tell me how you do your biweekly vinegar rinse: Do you do this after your wash or is it something else? Can i find a recipe for "hair tea" on the boards? Also, do you oil your hair dry or wet?

Thanks again! :-)

Length
    <bsl/39"/long!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Coconut oil has made my hair as healthy as it has ever looked. If you have not tried this stuff before, you need to. It is amazing. I bought my first jar three weeks ago, and use it on my tips, and on the damaged part in the back. It cuts away any friz, and makes the hair stay beautifully conditioned for days without needing to be washed out. Bottom line: best thing I've ever used on my hair.

As for the ends, go ahead and trim. I had trim-a-phobia for the longest time because I liked the extra length, but then when I did get a trim, it looked amazing; much better than before the trim. Loose the inch, it'll be worth it.

Length
    chin/94cm/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sun-kissed View Post
    Coconut oil has made my hair as healthy as it has ever looked. If you have not tried this stuff before, you need to. It is amazing. I bought my first jar three weeks ago, and use it on my tips, and on the damaged part in the back. It cuts away any friz, and makes the hair stay beautifully conditioned for days without needing to be washed out. Bottom line: best thing I've ever used on my hair.

As for the ends, go ahead and trim. I had trim-a-phobia for the longest time because I liked the extra length, but then when I did get a trim, it looked amazing; much better than before the trim. Loose the inch, it'll be worth it.
    Sun-Kissed -- how do you use your coconut oil: on wet or on dry hair? On ends only or also on the length?

Do you think I should loose the inch now or wait until Aug?

Thanks !

Length
    <bsl/39"/long!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dagny View Post
    Sun-Kissed -- how do you use your coconut oil: on wet or on dry hair? On ends only or also on the length?

Do you think I should loose the inch now or wait until Aug?

Thanks !
    I use it on dry hair, so that I can see how much oil is in it, and know when to stop. Usually I put a drop of oil on my fingers(getting more when needed), divinde my hair into two sections down the back, apply it to the tips until they are very well-coated and shiny, and to the length up to my chin until it is soft looking. You shouldn't use too much on the length, or it will look super greasy, you just want enough to make it look like it is well-moisturized. The first time I tried it I used wayyy too much, and it took days to get it back to presentable. You kind of have to mess with it, it took me three tries before I got it down. (: Just use as much as you think is decent looking, apply before bed and/or after showers and/or whenever you feel it's looking dry. ;D

When I cut my hair, it looks a little chopped off because of the fresh cut. So I would cut it now so that it has time to grow more natural looking by August. But it is totally up to you. Some people like that super-straight hemline look.

Length
    chin/94cm/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sun-kissed View Post
    I use it on dry hair, so that I can see how much oil is in it, and know when to stop. Usually I put a drop of oil on my fingers(getting more when needed), divinde my hair into two sections down the back, apply it to the tips until they are very well-coated and shiny, and to the length up to my chin until it is soft looking. You shouldn't use too much on the length, or it will look super greasy, you just want enough to make it look like it is well-moisturized. The first time I tried it I used wayyy too much, and it took days to get it back to presentable. You kind of have to mess with it, it took me three tries before I got it down. (: Just use as much as you think is decent looking, apply before bed and/or after showers and/or whenever you feel it's looking dry. ;D

When I cut my hair, it looks a little chopped off because of the fresh cut. So I would cut it now so that it has time to grow more natural looking by August. But it is totally up to you. Some people like that super-straight hemline look.
    Oh, great! I have tried coconut oil before - but looking at your post it appears I used WAAAAYYYY too much... which is why I didn't really like it!

I washed last night and put a bunch of oil on my hair (will keep it up all day) because I figured this would work as a deep conditioning also. Since I only wash my hair once a week (I did CO last night) I will keep this on until I wash it next (on Saturday). I wonder if doing this every week would be a good idea -- kind of like a perpetual "deep conditioning treatment"? Or if it would be best to do a proper deep conditioning treatment and only do a light oiling daily?

Any thoughts?

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, and a lot of good advice too! I just wanted to add that you might consider using a clarifying shampoo sometime within the week before the reunion. That will get all the buildup out and let your hair be as gorgeous as possible the day of the reunion.

Also, the day of the reunion, go with what you're comfortable with. Don't try any crazy new products or styles that you haven't had time to experiment with. (I have done this, and it was a disaster.) I would say, do a basic hairstyle that you know looks good on you, and maybe jazz it up with cute barettes, or a cool hair toy.

Good Luck!!!

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I also use coconut oil and I love it! I use it as an overnight treatment on dry hair then wash it out the next day. It will make your hair so soft and healthy looking.

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I have extremely hard water, so I dilute about 3 tablespoons of ACV in 1 cup of filtered water or tea (try some combination of dried nettle, rosemary, sage, burdock root, horsetail, linden, and hibiscus flower). I find it's better if it's cold-to-room temp. After I wash, I ring out the excess water and pour the tea onto my scalp, working it gently into the roots, and down the length. I wring it out again but personally, I don't rinse it out. Some people do because they hate the smell but it doesn't bother me for one and doesn't linger in my hair long for another. I'm not sure how they get the benefits of the rinse that way but...*shrug*

Anyway, I have an oil combination of jojoba, evening primrose, apricot kernel, and avocado oils and I work a dime sized amount through my damp hair, comb, and air dry. Usually I damp bun towards the end.

Once my hair is completely dry, I use a nickel sized dollop of coconut oil from about my ears down to the tips, running the residue left on my hands over the top for flyaways when I'm done.