Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crinkle splits

Length
    shldr/apl/hip
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Angry Crinkle splits

Hi everyone, I have questions about crinkle splits as I have a whole heap of them and they are really getting on my nerves. I never get any other splits other than taper, but I rarely get those as well. It's just the crinkles . I can't cut them, because they are usually the whole strand, so I yank them out and it works and I don't mind. The ones I pull out are usually really rough, thick, bumpy and split when I break them, but they are strong and shine a lot. Other than that, my hair is healthy and I try to take good care of it. So, what should I do, should I keep pulling them, leave them alone? Lots of advice would be great, thanks. For those of you that don't know, it's a type of split end.
    Last edited by claymoregalatea; July 19th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Crinkle splits

Quote Originally Posted by claymoregalatea View Post
    The ones I pull out are usually really rough, thick, bumpy and split when I break them, but they are strong and shine a lot....So, what should I do, should I keep pulling them, leave them alone?
    Leave them alone. Unless you want thinner hair, if so, by all means keep plucking.

Strong, shiny, coarse, kinky hair sounds just fine to me, and not something I would want to pull out by the root!

Length
    14"/25"/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Have you always had these? It could just be your natural texture. What you describe are hairs like mine. I have very fine hair at the front, but I have one underneath section and a section on my crown that is very thick and coarse. Often wiry, crinkly or corkskrew curly. My OH describes them as fuse wire! They are sometimes split but often not. This texture of hair came in my teenage years. Don't pluck them out. Extra moisture, and a generous amount of leave in conditioner softens them to help them sit nicely.

Hope this is what you mean because I've never heard of crinkle splits before. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Length
    28/48/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Those are the hairs that trigger my trichotillomania I understand how the different texture, the bumpiness, can feel so alien but I'd also advice against pulling them out: they will come back with the same texture, again and again, there's no way you can win that battle.

Also, I'd say they are perfectly normal hairs, just different and that's why they stand out to you. That's what happens to me, at least. So I vote "Leave them alone".

Length
    shldr/apl/hip
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by alwayssmiling View Post
    Have you always had these? It could just be your natural texture. What you describe are hairs like mine. I have very fine hair at the front, but I have one underneath section and a section on my crown that is very thick and coarse. Often wiry, crinkly or corkskrew curly. My OH describes them as fuse wire! They are sometimes split but often not. This texture of hair came in my teenage years. Don't pluck them out. Extra moisture, and a generous amount of leave in conditioner softens them to help them sit nicely.

Hope this is what you mean because I've never heard of crinkle splits before. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
    I'm not sure if I've always had them, but yes, I am in the middle of my teenage years. Thankyou, I will try put in some leave in conditioner and oils more often.

Length
    shldr/apl/hip
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Double post sorry

Length
    shldr/apl/hip
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Thanks Roseate and Narya.

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

I have these! They are not the most attractive hair strands and when they are short tend to stick straight upwards in all directions :rollseyes:
    They do feel weird in my otherwise fine/medium hair. But they are shiny!

Brand New Redhead

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I got splits like that a few months ago from all my bleach and extensions damage of late 2010. They bothered me so much I had to S&D chunks off of my hair that I couldn't really afford to do since I barely have any hair. Growing back healthy hair is worth it though.
    To me it sounds like this isn't excessive damage and you are just really prone to splits but your hairs are healthy. I would leave them and see what happens as you get longer hair over the years while regrowing out to your length.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    Pixie/Waist/BCL?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I don't think you should ever pluck any of your hair by the root. There's no reason that the hair should be damaged all the way up and down the strand, since it doesn't grow out of your head damaged. If you really hate that particularly strand, cut off the damage part way up the strand. That way you can at least use that hair for ponytail circumference in a few months, and in a few years it will match up with the rest of your hair (if you trim routinely)

Btw, my mom used to pluck hair from the top of her head as a nervous habit, and now she has a thin/bald spot on her head from it!
    "I'm not cheating, I'm just decorating." ~ravenreed