Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this over-doing it?

Length
    1.25/4.25/APL?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Is this over-doing it?

Do you think this would be ok or too much on a daily basis?

~WO at night and apply good amount of coconut oil for overnight
    ~CO in morning followed by ACV rinse (1 tsp to 12 oz water)
    ~Apply coconut oil as needed for shine/moisture to dried hair

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Wow, it seems a bit excessive to me. Let your hair and scalp rest a bit, I'd say. Deep oilings in the night before a wash are a good idea, I love them. But don't wash daily. Even CO is stressful for the hair.

Why do you need to WO before the oiling? Why every night a heavy oiling? Do you have some kind of emergency going on? Your ava looks fine.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    10"/25"/31"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Yes, why not just shampoo every two or three days, and put all the potions in your hair the night before wash day
    "A Kind Answer Turns Away Anger" NKJ Version
    Previous Journal at the LHC Archives

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Yipes! That does sound a bit excessive. The less you have to completely soak your hair and scalp with water the better. I know that with shorter hair, sometimes daily washing is necessary, but I would advise just one CO or WO per day.

I think that as your hair grows longer, you'll be able to stretch out the washes a bit.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FrannyG View Post
    Yipes! That does sound a bit excessive. The less you have to completely soak your hair and scalp with water the better. I know that with shorter hair, sometimes daily washing is necessary, but I would advise just one CO or WO per day.

I think that as your hair grows longer, you'll be able to stretch out the washes a bit.
    I don't think completely soaking the hair once every day is a problem, or even washing the hair every day depending on method used (a daily CO, if your scalp is okay with it, should be fine). However, the overnight oiling is almost sure to cause buildup very soon. Also, depending on hair type, daily ACV rinses may turn out to be drying.

I think washing every other day and perhaps conditioning every day, with one overnight oiling a week, is a better idea.

Length
    1.25/4.25/APL?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
    Wow, it seems a bit excessive to me. Let your hair and scalp rest a bit, I'd say. Deep oilings in the night before a wash are a good idea, I love them. But don't wash daily. Even CO is stressful for the hair.

Why do you need to WO before the oiling? Why every night a heavy oiling? Do you have some kind of emergency going on? Your ava looks fine.
    Oops! I guess I should have added that I work out every night and my head is full of sweat and that's why when I shower I go ahead and wet my hair and try to rinse the sweat out. I thought adding the oil afterwards would be a good moisture thing for overnight.

And I guess I was washing it out in the mornings to avoid the "greasy" look of having the oil in my hair.

Then the ACV was added to give a little shine because CO leaves my hair less than shiney and dull.

ETA: I have only done all this one time, last night and this morning. This hasn't been a long term routine for me.
    Last edited by whiteisle; June 24th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

If you work out every evening, wouldn't it be better to CO in the evening after the workout, and do a WO rinse in the morning if you have bedhead issues?

Length
    1.25/4.25/APL?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
    If you work out every evening, wouldn't it be better to CO in the evening after the workout, and do a WO rinse in the morning if you have bedhead issues?
    Actually, that's what I was doing before finding LHC except shampooing and conditioning instead of just CO. But, like I said, I've only done this particular routine one time. My normal routine is to use something on my hair at night, like some oil, or the MN, or maybe mega-tek and then wash in the morning. Plus, honestly, I like the way my hair behaves right after a wash verses just wetting it. So that's why I wash in the morning, for the freshest hair. I don't know if any of this makes any sense. LOL

Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Does your avatar represent your current hair length? Why are you oiling so much? At that length, the sebum from your scalp should provide all the oil you need, provided that you don't strip it all out every day. I find that if I oil anything above my shoulders, then I have to wash a lot sooner or my hair will look and feel greasy.

Washing that much sounds excessive to me, and I *do* get quite sweaty every day - I ride my bicycle to get around, currently in 100 degree heat. The first few inches are generally quite wet when I get home (sometimes all the way down to my bra strap!) but it dries out.

Not washing every day takes some getting used to. It drove me crazy at first. However, I found that over time my scalp stopped producing so much oil (I think that COers go through the same process) and now I only need to wash it every 4-5 days, even with all of the exercise and heat. With shorter hair you might want to do it more frequently (my guess is that you can't hide stringy hair in an updo yet) but every day is going to be a little harsh, plus you'll go through a lot more product.

Off to run some errands now... woo-hoo! It's only 83 right now!

Last edited by wintersun99; February 19th, 2010 at 10:40 PM.